Recent Topics

Ads

How to get ROR population up.

Let's talk about... everything else
DirkDaring

Re: How to get ROR population up.

Post#191 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:07 pm

punk7712 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:40 pm I am a relatively new player, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. That said, a wipe is an amazing idea. That is how a lot of other online RPGs maintain their players. Path of Exile and Diable 3 are great examples. It also worked extremely well for the Shadowbane emulators.

The options are keep adding higher tier chase items for top end players, or wipe and make them start over. The problem with adding more at the top end is that it widens the gap between them, and casual/newer players. If you decided to go with wipes every 3 to 6 months, you could speed up progression a bit as a carrot for people rerolling. You could also add in some extremely low effort thematic rewards for each season(wipe).

If you sell it correctly, I guarantee you with 110 percent certainly you will get a huge influx of returning players. Just post an announcement in the news sections stating something along the lines of - "Return of Reckoning Season 1 coming January 1st! The Skaven have overrun our lands. Level to renown rank 40 and receive a season exclusive rat pet!"
People mentioned a Character wipe years ago, but honestly, I would not even bother playing, if every 3 to 6 months, my characters progress was wiped, and I was level 1 again with no gold, gear, renown or anything. I`d just go play another game, and never bother playing here again.

Ads
xoonerfree
Suspended

Post#192 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Lawmay wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:38 pm
xoonerfree wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:10 pm
Lawmay wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:50 pm

A house divided will fall, I don't blame him for standing with the team, what's he supposed to do? Complain publicly that the devs are doo doo heads for not agreeing with him? In what way would that be productive. Besides, theres more than enough of us doing that already lol.
Since you asked. I hope that any rational and deliberated committee decision would be reevaluated in light of known outcomes. There's no shame in reversing a decision through the same committee process. I'm not sure why anyone is suggesting one person make the decision? Committees just like individuals can make mistakes.
Agreed, and I fully wish they would reverse their decision. I genuinely think it would be best for the game, and I don't think I'm alone in that. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I don't think the dev team, or the anti-NB players foresaw JUST how much it would hurt the population. They knew they would lose people, just not this many.

At this point I think its a matter of pride, not wanting to admit they were wrong, despite their intentions being good. I would hope that if they do end up reversing the decision, my fellow NB supporters would have the tact not to respond with juvenile crap like "lolololol they caved lmao" and instead show them respect for having the courage to undo what is, in my opinion a bad decision.
I suspect you're right and pride is an issue for the dev "committee" decision process that's being touted as egalitarian, rigorous and balanced. I respect this committee process. Let's hope the population doesn't continue to descend into an unplayable group-oriented game.

Over the years many class nerfs were added, some buffs, and other decisions that upset the player base, but none decreased populations in a meaningful way -- actually populations were on a steady rise! Then the dev committee process essentially blocked NB and the population tanked, which never recovered.

I hope you're wrong and pride is not the issue here. Pride is nasty business.

punk7712

Post#193 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:54 pm

DirkDaring wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:07 pm
punk7712 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:40 pm I am a relatively new player, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. That said, a wipe is an amazing idea. That is how a lot of other online RPGs maintain their players. Path of Exile and Diable 3 are great examples. It also worked extremely well for the Shadowbane emulators.

The options are keep adding higher tier chase items for top end players, or wipe and make them start over. The problem with adding more at the top end is that it widens the gap between them, and casual/newer players. If you decided to go with wipes every 3 to 6 months, you could speed up progression a bit as a carrot for people rerolling. You could also add in some extremely low effort thematic rewards for each season(wipe).

If you sell it correctly, I guarantee you with 110 percent certainly you will get a huge influx of returning players. Just post an announcement in the news sections stating something along the lines of - "Return of Reckoning Season 1 coming January 1st! The Skaven have overrun our lands. Level to renown rank 40 and receive a season exclusive rat pet!"
People mentioned a Character wipe years ago, but honestly, I would not even bother playing, if every 3 to 6 months, my characters progress was wiped, and I was level 1 again with no gold, gear, renown or anything. I`d just go play another game, and never bother playing here again.
The key is making progression a bit faster, so it doesn't feel like a chore.

Grious

Post#194 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:03 am

One of the bigger problems I think are patch frequency, now I know this a volunteer team etc etc all that good stuff I get it and I am not saying put a patch out every week but have like a grace period for patches that are released. BHA is a good recent example, back when it was initially given its triple stack stuff, destro complained because obvious reasons but the problem was that it stuck around so long that people started to settle into it and then the removal of it months later causes order to complain about it for obvious reasons. What if class change patches came with a one week probation period where the devs would revisit the changes and comment on if they would keep/modify/revert the change. I know there is nothing stopping them from doing this now and this is basically going to be one big placebo but I think having that 'mandatory' revisiting would hopefully reduce the amount of anger posts about it and promote more constructive criticism of changes during that one week. Overall I think getting a class change patch, and then one week later getting a followup post about how/if the changes would be modified as a result of feed back would just help the changes go down easier.

NB is just a can of worms, you can't win no matter what the devs do about it, it was such a major addon that posts about it will always be around. People complained about it being allowed, removing it caused people to complain about it being removed, even if they put it back in the complaints about it being around would just start up again. You won't ever escape this dead horse.

Some of the longer term problems that either seem to be ignored probably don't help us either. The one I am more connected to being the terrible state pet pathing is in, yeah they dont go through walls but now as soon as the Z axis enters the game the pathing just goes to **** and watching someone 'kite' my pet by jumping over a fence makes for some quality sad. This problem has been around over a year now with no sign of any actual improvement on the horizon. 2h WP also seem to be one of those things that needs help but seems to have fallen off the table of things that need a looking at.

havartii

Post#195 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:27 am

more nerfs to shaman .. i quit again .. thanks devs
Order: 70 AM / 76 RP/ 72 Knight/ 58 WH
Destro: 82 Sham / 79 Zealot/ 70 DoK /70 Magus /68 Mara
Many alts on both sides now ruined by new currency change

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#196 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:28 am

havartii wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:27 am more nerfs to shaman .. i quit again .. thanks devs
Happy to help.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Sulorie

Post#197 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:10 am

punk7712 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:47 pm
Sulorie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:17 pm Brilliant idea, why nobody else had this in mind?
Thanks. These are clearly not my ideas though. I picked it up from the greatest game developer of all time - Chris Wilson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_5S55jUzk
Both games are entirely different. RoR is no loot grinder. For Diablo-like games, seasons with certain modifiers work, where all start from scratch to earn randomized loot.
Dying is no option.

ChicagoJoe

Post#198 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:06 am

Recent patch pretty positive. Destro defended a fortress and took a fortress. Bellows/Raze swap helping TTK which was a problem. Order was able to hold a stair defense until end on fortress take, so it seemed to be ok for both sides.

The fortress defense was impacted greatly by 1-2 good wbs and their leadership. Leadership is key to the population in this game and good gameplay. It often is a thankless job, like herding cats. The autoband addon and timers are great examples of QOL addons that make the game easier and have a huge impact to leading a WB and make the difference between wanting to lead or not sometimes. They automate aspects of organization.

If there was a guild or alliance mechanism or progression or turf to own it could bring more involvement of guilds and guild leaders.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.

Ads
MonkeyHead

Post#199 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:35 am

wargrimnir wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:28 am
havartii wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:27 am more nerfs to shaman .. i quit again .. thanks devs
Happy to help.
This is why I quit. the devs rarely take the time to comment on the underlying topic in a post. Almost never address anyone's issue. But never fail to toss a quip at a distraught player. I come back to watch this specific failure in moderation. It's vastly more entertaining than the game itself.

mynban

Post#200 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:39 am

MonkeyHead wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:35 am
wargrimnir wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:28 am
Happy to help.
This is why I quit. the devs rarely take the time to comment on the underlying topic in a post. Almost never address anyone's issue. But never fail to toss a quip at a distraught player. I come back to watch this specific failure in moderation. It's vastly more entertaining than the game itself.
They have a thankless job that pays nothing, they deserve what little entertainment they can get out of the forums while the game lasts.

Oceania population have a sad trend for the past several months, where population goes down by %10-20 down every week. And there doesnt seem to be any point of stabilization where drop stops. I guess Oceania timezone already hit the spiral of doom where low pop leads to lower pop.