Recent Topics

Ads

Platform for Group Ranked

Let's talk about... everything else
Cyrinael

Platform for Group Ranked

Post#1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Hey folks,

I have been thinking about ways to open up group ranked for a much larger part of the population. I think the main reasons (almost) noone queues is:
1) No other groups are queueing
2) You need to build a group for it
3) You need to have BIS gear (or close to it)

To tackle these problems, we need a better platform to organize group ranked outside of the game. I know there are discord channels dedicated to it, but I feel like we could do better.

The solution I came up with is:

We need a website where players can either manage their group or search for groups to play against. Groups can then request other groups to queue ranked at specific times.
Our community is small and for this to work we need participations not only from the BIS players, but also from all others.
Therefore, I think it is necessary to allow thresholds on the gear. For example everyone can only use max. Vanquisher/Invader with max 60 renown points to spend.
This should allow players to get matched with similarly geared groups.

I would love to have some input from you and if enough are interested, I will build a small prototype.

Ads
oilpourer
Suspended

Re: Platform for Group Ranked

Post#2 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Waste of time because its not a competitive community.
Also city siege has been out forever, who is that 1 person that wants to play but can't because of gear?

Cimba

Post#3 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm

I think the discords are fine. In the preseaon there were plenty of fights usually organized on thursday. At the moment its way easier of getting the emblems through solo ranked.

Apart from that when Psychedelics shows up than every other group can usally pack their things. Nobody enjoys fights with 0 to 10% winrates over longer periods of time

Arthem

Post#4 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:42 am

I can't even remember how many bis dps toons I have now but even I think max gear + rr for ranked should be capped. Its more fun to even the playing field. Sov dps just destroys non equal opponent too easily. And no I don't think gear should be nerfed.

Sever1n

Post#5 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:21 am

Whole sc system need rework. T4 normals scens and evemts should be for people who play solo and farm gear. Everything where 2/2/2 should be send to ranked, where they should obtain good rewards - egs insignias royals. That sc system that we have now so good that i got my secont ban from being pissed to rage. If u got rr80=>autoranked, sov nooblord pack shoudnt suck all life from people in merc.

Alubert

Post#6 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:15 am

Good idea but I'm not sure if people will need it because now after the patch solo ranked have revived (3-5 matches at a time in EU prime time).
Hurub - Chopa
Wybrany - Chosen
Mroczniak - BG
Doczek - DoK
Alubert - KTB
Mnich -WP
Kregi - Slayer

Cyrinael

Post#7 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:12 am

oilpourer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:37 pm Waste of time because its not a competitive community.
I do think that is not entirely true. After 3 weeks of season 3, there are over 800 characters in the leaderboard of Solo Ranked. Even if you exclude all those who only tried one game there are still over 600 characters left.

Cimba wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm I think the discords are fine. In the preseaon there were plenty of fights usually organized on thursday. At the moment its way easier of getting the emblems through solo ranked.
Apart from that when Psychedelics shows up than every other group can usally pack their things. Nobody enjoys fights with 0 to 10% winrates over longer periods of time
And Psychadelics will keep their number 1 spot. To be honest, my suggestion is not targeted primarily towards matching the top groups of the server, but to open it up for all others too.
Again, I want to look at the leaderboard. We have currently 61 characters in group ranked. Considering players are ranked with multiple characters, there are probably 6-8 groups running with a very limited amount of games played.

Arthem wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:42 am I can't even remember how many bis dps toons I have now but even I think max gear + rr for ranked should be capped. Its more fun to even the playing field. Sov dps just destroys non equal opponent too easily. And no I don't think gear should be nerfed.
Yes, this is exactly my point. Try to give players an easy tool to find evenly matched games.

Sever1n wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:21 am Whole sc system need rework. T4 normals scens and evemts should be for people who play solo and farm gear. Everything where 2/2/2 should be send to ranked, where they should obtain good rewards - egs insignias royals. That sc system that we have now so good that i got my secont ban from being pissed to rage. If u got rr80=>autoranked, sov nooblord pack shoudnt suck all life from people in merc.
There are many approaches to change the scenario system for the developers. Nevertheless, I cannot influence the development, but I can come up with solutions outside of the game.

Alubert wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:15 am Good idea but I'm not sure if people will need it because now after the patch solo ranked have revived (3-5 matches at a time in EU prime time).
Yes, that is why I wanted to get some input from the community before building something noone really needs ;).

Ty for the input so far.

Caduceus

Post#8 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:26 am

I'm afraid getting enough players for Group Ranked will be difficult.

Ranked in general is already quite a different beast from the rest of Return of Reckoning, and there are very little avenues to practice this style of play. This makes it difficult to get started, even for players who are geared and experienced in other game modes.

There is no natural skill progression because the MMR system does not work with the low population Ranked currently has, and this basically keeps new, inexperienced Ranked players out of the mode.

Even if you get a group together of players who are dedicated enough to get better and sit in queue for evenings on end for only a handful of pops, those players are going to quite often be faced with the best 6v6 groups of the server, and the skillgap there is too big to let any real learning take place.

The issue with Ranked, including Group Ranked, is that it does about all it can to discourage players from picking it up, and instead focuses only on appeasing the small group of players who are already experienced in Ranked.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads