Recent Topics

Ads

The "new" fort lag/DC problem

Let's talk about... everything else
Aethilmar

The "new" fort lag/DC problem

Post#1 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm

Well not new but starting to happen again. Been pretty smooth for several weeks with the previous changes to address it and now getting mass DCs all the time.

Any idea what the new variable is?

Ads
GRUSZKA

Re: The "new" fort lag/DC problem

Post#2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:27 pm

CertainGuild has joined in the efforts of taking this fort.
OrderPlayer1 disconnected uncleanly from the server.
OrderPlayer2 disconnected uncleanly from the server.
OrderPlayer3 disconnected uncleanly from the server.
(...)

;)
This is a dark age, a bloody age, an age of daemons and of sorcery. It is an age of battle and death, and of the world's ending. Amidst all of the fire, flame and fury it is a time, too, of mighty heroes, of bold deeds and great courage.

Aethilmar

Post#3 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:42 am

Oh I'm aware of the guilds that seem to be connected with it, I'm more curious what they are doing to make it happen. Until it gets fixed (or declared an exploit), only fair that both sides have access to the same tactics.

Rubius
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Also noticed this happening last week.

Chalked it up to the typical crashes with graphics lag as pushes happen, but if it's happening quite regularly, or triggered by guilds claiming forts, we should try to flag that to the team.

Are we 100% sure it's caused by guilds claiming and repeatable?

GRUSZKA

Post#5 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 pm

I guess in-game action "claiming" doesn't matter here at all. It is more about them being there and doing "something" with AOE effect. :)

All these crashes are a typical situation where you overload game client with high number of numerical operations to perform in short amount of time, that CPU/game client can't handle, causing the game to crash.
Various pots were to blame first - as they have AOE effects that in fort specification (300 players in really small area) is causing massive amount of calculations forced on clients. While in-game gain of using them was not worth all these lags and crashes. That's why they were disabled.
But obviously some other AOE effects will have such impact too.

Having CPU with great Single Thread Performance helps a lot in all of this, so having monster PC with right CPU is 'a workaround'. See list of CPU to put into your wishlist:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Once I highly upgraded my PC I see no lags in forts almost at all. After one month of playing I had noticeable one only once and yes, it was during PUSH when given guild was there attacking. While plenty of forts (10-20) done without them and without any serious lag or even no lag at all.
And as gossips says - Having proper PC specification is mandatory to join ranks of that guild.

Question is then: What are they using to have that devastating AoE effect / workload on game client?
It could be even one skill that is poorly written (code wise) and is causing multiple numerical operations to calculate it's effect that increase in nonlinear fashion.
This is a dark age, a bloody age, an age of daemons and of sorcery. It is an age of battle and death, and of the world's ending. Amidst all of the fire, flame and fury it is a time, too, of mighty heroes, of bold deeds and great courage.

Fenris78

Post#6 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 pm

I just found this addon today, might worth a try to reduce stutter/crashes :
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=46913

Also be sure to reduce "played effects on" to zero (or yourself only), and if not enough, check the "VFXDisable" in the "server" tab, and use a macro to disable your combatlog :

/script local z = DataUtils.GetMacros() local b = TextLogGetEnabled local c = ("Combat") local a = TextLogSetEnabled if b(c) then a(c, false) SetMacroData(z[43].name, z[43].text, 23, 43) else SetMacroData(z[43].name, z[43].text, 26, 43) a(c,true) end

(slot the macro to last line, first slot - or change all the "43" to the slot number you want to use).

Aethilmar

Post#7 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 pm

So three times today so far when a door has been destroyed (both keep and fort) I suffered a DC (and no other time during the gameplay session). It would be sad if there were a bunch of fabulously manipulative jerks behind it.