Recent Topics

Ads

Game Appears to Run Slow

Let's talk about... everything else
Kerathras

Game Appears to Run Slow

Post#1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am

Hello everyone,

New/old player here. I used to play WAR back in the day before the servers shut down and I loved it. A few years ago I heard about this private server run by the community but I never got around to checking it out until, well, until just now! I started playing yesterday and needless to say the nostalgia hit right right from the character creation screen and the accompanying music. However, as I kept playing I noticed that everything appears to be... sluggish. Idk how to describe it any better than that but it's as if every action seems to take longer than it should, not just attacks but movement and everything else too.

Now I am unsure if this is a function of the server hardware not being topnotch (which is totally understandable) or my physical distance from it (I live in New York and I understand the sever is in France). Frankly, I don't even know if this is how the game always was and I simply don't remember it as I played it so long ago. That said, there are definitely some odd behaviors I noticed which were not present in the original game like NPCs moving backwards or sideways like a crab and not just not facing properly in general. I guess I should also mention that I don't see how any of these problems can be caused by something on my end as the installation went smoothly and my computer and internet are the best money can buy and able to handle much more demanding games with ease.

With all that in mind, is there anything I can do to fix this or at least alleviate it, or is that just how things are given the unavoidable and understandable constraints that come with running a private server? As an aside, and I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to bring this up but let me just put it out there that I would be more than happy to make a donation towards upkeep of the server or anything else that's necessary for the maintenance of the game. You guys have really done a tremendous job here and I would be glad to show my support in any way I can.

Thanks!

Edit: Switching the client from 64 to 32 bit fixed all the problems. In case someone runs into the same issue.
Last edited by Kerathras on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Borglog

Re: Game Appears to Run Slow

Post#2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:41 am

It's because cowboys who don't know what they doing have messed with the client files inside and it's a big mess

Kerathras

Post#3 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:52 am

Oh dear, I was hoping it may have been just me. So it's like this for everyone then? And there is no hope of fixing it?

Kerathras

Post#5 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 am

Thanks but I am not experiencing performance issues. Whatever this is, its client side.

zolio
Community Management

Post#6 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:02 am

Kerathras wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 am Thanks but I am not experiencing performance issues. Whatever this is, its client side.
Ok so your experiencing game lag ?

Pkunk

Post#7 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 am

Kerathras wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am That said, there are definitely some odd behaviors I noticed which were not present in the original game like NPCs moving backwards or sideways like a crab and not just not facing properly in general.
You used to get this when you ran in 64bit and got FPS over 99. I have capped my game at 99 so I don't see it any more and don't know if its been fixed. It was not just NCP's
but also players when you where sniping in a punting ballista. It may be that too high FPS can make other things wonky.

Keula

Post#8 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:51 pm

Pkunk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 am
Kerathras wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am That said, there are definitely some odd behaviors I noticed which were not present in the original game like NPCs moving backwards or sideways like a crab and not just not facing properly in general.
You used to get this when you ran in 64bit and got FPS over 99. I have capped my game at 99 so I don't see it any more and don't know if its been fixed. It was not just NCP's
but also players when you where sniping in a punting ballista. It may be that too high FPS can make other things wonky.
Oh thats what does it.
I have been wondering why the in-game fps cap of 99 disappeared, never thought it was the 64 bit thing and was like whatever because it didn't affect combat as the fps was always lower than 99 anyways.
Well thx!

E. ew IC at 99fps looks so choppy. Ill go back to my backwards mounts and smoother motions
Last edited by Keula on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alteredheal 85 DOK
Azerrad 79 Sorc
Lumoojatar 70 AM

Ads
Kerathras

Post#9 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:14 pm

Pkunk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 am
Right, I noticed it with players in Scenarios too. I started off just doing some PvE to accustom myself with the game again at first so I just assumed it was NPCs that did it but now that I started PvPing as well it's apparently everyone. So capping the FPS to 99 should fix this? And what about abilities seeming to take longer to cast? It's like the server is taking longer to register that a skill went off, but it's not lag because there is nothing else to indicate it no stuttering or rubberbanding with movement or any of the other telltale signs.

Omegus

Post#10 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 am

Putting the FPS cap back in fixes most animation/timing issues. I don't know what timezone you're in but there's only 1 ROR server and it's in France so if you're on the other side of the Atlantic then there might be some additional lag/delay you're not used to.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot