Recent Topics

Ads

GCD change

Let's talk about... everything else
Bozzax

GCD change

Post#1 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:17 pm

Oi been playing after changes overall I understand that you want to align and rewrite the code creating one master table and being able to sync the parts of your platform. I don't even mind you pushing it like you did or care much about the drama after.

Gave it some time tried adjust ... still struggling to find the same enjoyment as bf.

Feedback (highly opinionated) from playing a shmy
- Realms are more imbalanced after the change, archetrypes balance is affected (negativly in my opinion)
- To much AP after change - both realms especially AP hungry classes has become spam spam spam nonstop
- Changes favor proc/AA heavy classes and classes that tha can frontload damage GCDs (Rich got richer)
- Healing is clunky and just feels off atm the feel and flow is lost
- TTK is faster and IMHO makes the game less enjoyable
- Good play and clever use of abilities and mechanic is less impactfull now
- Shmy healing (outside of group heal spam) took a big hit (approx 20-30%) and you struggle to counter burst.

(obviously from a casual noob as well)
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7

Ads
anarchypark

Re: GCD change

Post#2 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:13 pm

It's opinion too.
on 1.5 GCD, I don't feel much difference.
spam penalty is gone. no more 1.1 vs 1.5
It'll take time to get used to it though.

on AP buff, yea never run out of AP seems problem.
tbh, i liked AP starved play. more management.
drain vs buff skill, more reason to grp, longer fight etc.
but unpopular opinion i guess.
somewhere between starve and current state might be better?

@OP
specific example plz.
- realms are more imbalanced, how?
- good play and clever use of abilities are less impactful, which skills and what kind of play?
- TTK, i agree it's not enjoyable if too fast.
but how is it faster when GCD got slowed.
which AP starved class spam skills now?
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Minisynn

Post#3 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:12 am

On these rare occasions where I see people saying the phrase "too much AP" it reminds me of back when Cataclysm launched for WoW, and Hunters complained how they missed mana and having to manage it constantly... those were the few times I was glad that Blizzard ignores all feedback

As for the 1.5 second GCD - I definitely agree that it feels worse, but I'm cautiously optimistic after seeing the devs implement a fix for the AP famine quickly that they meant it when they said that reverting the GCD system to the way it was on live will massively decrease the amount of effort it takes them in their ability tweaking pipeline, and that there will hopefully be balance changes within the next few months to address the issues that the 1.5s GCD has caused. At this point I think Max has made it pretty clear they're not going to revert it, so all we can do is hope that they're able to make the game work around it
Engineer enjoyer | Finnbarr/Fionnbharr | Finnmarr/Fionnbharra | Nightmare | Youtube

elykz

Post#4 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Step 1: Awfully break core mechanics (GCD)
Step 2: Break something even more visible (AP).
Step 3: Give every geared person more regen than before
Achievement: Everyone is happy and forgot about GCD issues.
Yay ! Nudge management at its finest.

But seriously, everyone seems to focus on AP while the worst part of the GCD change was not AP issues:
it's how un-reactive it made the game.

"You're in danger, you want to a fast detaunt ?" Please wait..
"You want to drink a potion ?" Please wait...

There is no more pace variations. No more alternance between fast action phases, long term decisions..
You basically killed those little details that made the gameplay dynamic and fun.
Pace now feels so unreactive and normalized it's a bit depressing (and that's coming from a boomer with zero reflex that usually
can't stand fast paced action combat.. :D )

And all that for what ? Engineering reasons ? Engineering should be at the service of gameplay. Not the
opposite. And when you're doing the opposite, it's pretty clear that you're doing something wrong.

Toshutkidup

Post#5 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:17 pm

GCD change didn’t bother me and still doesnt. The AP change didn’t bother me either, the update to AP also doesn’t bother me
First RR90 Slayer working towards the top of the mountain.I still solo, still run riposte.

Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/toshutkidup
My Youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/Toshutkidup

Shogun4138

Post#6 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:22 pm

Toshutkidup wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:17 pm GCD change didn’t bother me and still doesnt. The AP change didn’t bother me either, the update to AP also doesn’t bother me
Agreed.
Gogo 80we
Mudflinga 81rSH
Zenzo chosen**

Earthcake

Post#7 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:05 am

Toshutkidup wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:17 pm GCD change didn’t bother me and still doesnt. The AP change didn’t bother me either, the update to AP also doesn’t bother me
Some classes are perfectly fine with GCD changes while some others are complete garbage.

sharpblader

Post#8 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:38 am

elykz wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:01 pm Step 1: Awfully break core mechanics (GCD)
Step 2: Break something even more visible (AP).
Step 3: Give every geared person more regen than before
Achievement: Everyone is happy and forgot about GCD issues.
Yay ! Nudge management at its finest.

But seriously, everyone seems to focus on AP while the worst part of the GCD change was not AP issues:
it's how un-reactive it made the game.

"You're in danger, you want to a fast detaunt ?" Please wait..
"You want to drink a potion ?" Please wait...

There is no more pace variations. No more alternance between fast action phases, long term decisions..
You basically killed those little details that made the gameplay dynamic and fun.
Pace now feels so unreactive and normalized it's a bit depressing (and that's coming from a boomer with zero reflex that usually
can't stand fast paced action combat.. :D )

And all that for what ? Engineering reasons ? Engineering should be at the service of gameplay. Not the
opposite. And when you're doing the opposite, it's pretty clear that you're doing something wrong.
I genuinely dont understand how it awfully broke a core mechanic.

Its not a service to gameplay where some players can play on a different GCD than others.

Ads
Farrul

Post#9 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:30 am

Earthcake wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:05 am
Some classes are perfectly fine with GCD changes while some others are complete garbage.
Well this GCD change made me retire the Ironbreaker, class already struggles with resource(too short duration buffs/ grudge management in small scale) issues and now this.

elykz

Post#10 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:48 am

I genuinely dont understand how it awfully broke a core mechanic.
Its not a service to gameplay where some players can play on a different GCD than others.
It's hard to discuss those topics without having access to current server code (with it not being open-sourced), as it
is hard to see how things were actually changed (even though they still feels off compared to live), but It's not clear
to me why people would have been playing on different GCD with client attempting to fire its abilites around 75%
of 1.5sec gcd being the same for everyone and with global_cooldown (1.5) and cooldown_grace (400ms) server values
being the same for everyone too.