Recent Topics

Ads

What class to play as a solo/pug player?

Let's talk about... everything else
Koensol

What class to play as a solo/pug player?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:58 pm

Hello, I am a returning player. I haven't played for over 2 years I think. I have a lvl 40 rr 42 choppa, a lvl 26 shaman, a level 25 DoK and a lvl 26 BO.

Right now I kinda wanna check this game out again, but I am torn on which class to play. Choppa I feel is def not viable as a pug. I just die if I don't get support non stop. I'm looking for suggestions on classes to play as a solo/pug player. I don't have time for organized play/guilds so I want something that can fit in multiple game modes and doesn't require constant babysitting.

Ads
Sulorie

Re: What class to play as a solo/pug player?

Post#2 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 pm

Go with shaman then. Healer spec makes it easier to find groups and you can still solo queue SC to be somewhat useful. You can spec dps too with the right gear and play on your own in rvr.
Dying is no option.

Koensol

Post#3 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:43 pm

Sulorie wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:13 pm Go with shaman then. Healer spec makes it easier to find groups and you can still solo queue SC to be somewhat useful. You can spec dps too with the right gear and play on your own in rvr.
Thanks. Any other option than shaman which I can take?

HammerGuy

Post#4 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:34 pm

Play a magus. I never gave it a chance until a few months ago, but it has become my main. It's actually good, unlike what I remember from retail.

It has access to a battle self-heal (about 2000 health every 60 seconds), on top of the standard two health potions everyone else can use. It has alright mobility (dot, dot, run, mines, pet explosion, and punt). It has really good burst potential using havoc spec. It doesn't require any support other than some frontline to distract the enemy while it nukes them. It can do respectable point-blank aoe.

I'm in vanquisher and I do very well in scenarios. I'll be top damage and/or DBs with few deaths, heals received, and protection received. It only gets better once you're in sovereign/warlord/triumphant gear.

The only downside I've found so far is that a lot of people are stuck in the retail mindset that magus sucks, so you have to convince them otherwise. A lot of tanks don't know to guard the magus (really good short range aoe shines with a guard). A lot of healers do not seem to care about healing the magus.

It's the most chilled out playing experience you can have because no one expects anything from you.

Wam

Post#5 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:40 pm

Koensol wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:58 pm Hello, I am a returning player. I haven't played for over 2 years I think. I have a lvl 40 rr 42 choppa, a lvl 26 shaman, a level 25 DoK and a lvl 26 BO.

Right now I kinda wanna check this game out again, but I am torn on which class to play. Choppa I feel is def not viable as a pug. I just die if I don't get support non stop. I'm looking for suggestions on classes to play as a solo/pug player. I don't have time for organized play/guilds so I want something that can fit in multiple game modes and doesn't require constant babysitting.
shaman is best all round choice due to it being good in one vs one and also flexible so useful in group also

from tanks... Chosen is easier to get into for solo/pug point of view but it takes awhile and gear dependant on 2h being good

mdps... welf if you want stealth and gank style of play

Ranged... I would say Ranged squig herder or Magus... Magus is maybe a little more tricky to learn but can be useful solo or in group, RSH nice burst but squishy and lacks the sustain of dps shaman

*bonus, BG is ok but requires mechanic and more skills so harder to get into

Sorc, is too squishy without heal support like you find on choppa

*mara is middle ground, useful with bugged pull atm, monstro mara can self heal (and survive more than choppa) so this might be something to consider over choppa, but still will find similar MDPS (low renown low geared, low support issues)

*zealot dps is no where near where it once was and shaman better hands down

*dok is too static imo compared to shaman... but its something to consider and not automatically rule out depending on your playstyle preference (dps dok, shield dok)
Wamizzle Guild Leader [TUP]
Wamizzle Guild Leader [The Unlikely Plan]

NSKaneda

Post#6 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 pm

Shaman / AM
rSH / rSW
IB / BG
SM / BO
Slayer / Choppa
RP / Zeal
Magus / Engie

Every class can solo, it's you against the world after all.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Templa

Post#7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:24 am

Shaman has the highest return for actual time investment. imo
  • you can heal
  • you can DPS (in a solo scenario AND roaming setting)
  • you have tactics that empower kiting playstyle
  • If you don't like DPS or Heal at some point you can switch your role between those two
The same could be said for Dok as well but in a melee setting.
  • needs a guard as pure DPS (if it's still viable, i did not play it the last 2 years)
Marauder is a great allrounder
  • tankiest mdps
  • has a pull, so you can grab a target and burst them down in brutality/sav spec
  • versatility due to classmechanic
  • if you decide to go Pug-RvR, you can play a mindless spin2win build with great survivability
And if you are willing to play order go Wich Hunter

What i recommend even though you did not ask for it, is look for a few friends and try to play as a duo. It's more fun and you can make pretty much any class work.
Image Image

Sofong

Post#8 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 pm

just dun play melee dps.

Ads
Haojin

Post#9 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 pm

wp/dok if u like melee
am/shaman if u like ranged
Guildmaster of Phalanx

K8P - Karak Norn

michela89

Post#10 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Any Mdps (yes Dok and WP too) is most likely the worst choices you can do as a solo/pug player. Absolutely playable, still the worst choice tho.

For pugs guard is a luxury... sometimes you get it, sometimes you do not. Especially when people play their premades in Scenarios and stuff, and you are ignored. And Mdps needs to be in the thick of it.

Like other have said... Healers or some Ranged are your best bet. some classes that can stand back most of the time and do well on their own.