Recent Topics

Ads

Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Let's talk about... everything else
AlexanderDeLarge

Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Post#1 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:49 am

I deal with IT infrastructure in my day job and I can't really figure out why Return of Reckoning's server is in France from a logistical standpoint unless it's being hosted out of someone's basement for free. I'd imagine the majority of players are in Western Europe and North America with a smaller community in Oceania so why not move the server somewhere it makes the most sense? The majority of the Western, English-speaking world would benefit from the move and make the game quite playable in regions that are otherwise unplayable or highly unpleasant to play in.

Auckland->Chicago 186ms (versus 290ms to Paris)
Frankfurt->Chicago 98ms
London->Chicago 83ms
Paris->Chicago 92ms
Rome->Chicago 110ms
Sao Paulo->Chicago 137ms (versus 205ms to Paris)
Stockholm->Chicago 113ms
St Petersburg->Chicago 133ms
Sydney->Chicago 192ms (versus 240ms to Paris)
Warsaw->Chicago 119ms
Source: https://wondernetwork.com/pings

Found a couple threads discussing NA servers and most replies referenced no donations, limited resources, concerns about splitting up the community etc... So why not move the only server the game has? Hosting in Paris versus hosting in the United States wouldn't be much different in terms of copyright infringement as far as I'm aware so is there any particular reason for the server being located in Paris?

According to those numbers, someone in St Petersburg would be getting better latency than I get as an American in the continental USA. I'm experiencing 165-180ms latency from West Coast NA and I'll be moving even further West soon so it's going to go up to 188-195ms. If the servers were to be moved it'd be absolutely playable for me, remain playable for everyone in Europe and shave off about 100ms of unnecessary latency for anyone playing in Australia/New Zealand.
Last edited by AlexanderDeLarge on Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
AlexanderDeLarge

Re: Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Post#2 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:50 am

Made a similar post about Mortal Online 2, another MMORPG with a single server located in Europe and it didn't go too well because EU players took the stance of "let us have one, you aren't the center of the universe". It's not about the speed of our internet. It's not about Americans being egomaniacs. It's physical distance between players and the server we're connecting to.

When you have a single server you want to place it where it makes the most sense so everyone can have a pleasant experience. Please don't let this become a Europe versus America thing. It's not about that.

lemao

Re: Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Post#3 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:11 am

This server is HEAVILY EU populated and the reason for that is not the location of the server (Paris). Moving the server to America would literally piss off(almost) the entire server because you would increase their ping and make it an worse experience gameplay wise.

vanjelis

Post#4 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:12 am

Why not move it to Australia? It would benefit me and remain playable for everyone else. 300+ ping for all!

Sulorie

Post#5 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:23 am

It's not like there are each 40% EU and US players, there are a lot more EU players and therefore it would impact a lot players negatively with little gains.
Dying is no option.

Cyrylius

Post#6 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:58 am

Also, population is arguably denser in EU east than west.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

SepticDisaster

Post#7 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:41 pm

The EU population is vastly more vibrant. No need to cater to 20-30 pvdoor enthusiasts in NA 😄

Rowanmantle

Post#8 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:03 pm

Rampage and GTDC is the real issue, not where the server is based.
Rowanmantle /WP
Rowansrage /SL
Rowanbrowan /KOTBS
Rowanthrowan /BW
Matronmother /Dok
Handyrowan /Mara

Ads
Omegus

Post#9 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:30 pm

You really don't want to combine a private server of questionable legality with the DMCA.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Darkdargor

Post#10 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:13 am

There is a lot of EU players so the playerbase would shrink a lot. Problems in games occur at 500+ ms.

The ping also depends on your ISP. Test a ping using mobile data, test it again using a 1-5 GB connection.

A more reliable idea is to have two servers interconnected between them. Databases can stay in the cloud, ofc. Ppl closer to S1 would connect to S1, ppl closer to S2 could connect to S2 (basically datacenters).

Maybe a mara from NA could pull the server from France, tho.