Recent Topics

Ads

Duo help please

Let's talk about... everything else
Dixa

Duo help please

Post#1 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 pm

Hey everyone.

My friend and I played the original WAR for a bit but did not last since the pve game was and still is to a point non existent. He is an avid fan of non-40k warhammer. I just like mmorpgs in general.

He is pretty set on being a black Ork cause he is a literal Ork irl. We have both been playing since Saturday and it has been frustrating losing every scenario in t1 and having such a rough time in the rvr lakes doing influence runs for gear. We both made order chars and what a difference - order joins our open warbands. Order stays together. Order tanks guard. Order AM don’t channel their Jesus beam while the dude next to him is dying.

However while my friend dabbled here last year and has a 40 slayer, I know his heart is set on Ork and I want to oblige even though we know it’s going to be ass levelling as destro for people who play NA times.

What I need help on is what to pair. I don’t like playing healers, so that’s out. I have enjoyed the hell out of my kotbs on order and we were doing two tank cross guarding shenanigans which were a ton of fun in the lakes and scenarios even when folks would try to kite us.

I prefer to play classes that some amount of self sustain. I tried blackguard but they really have so little damage in tier 1 and so little sustain it’s frustrating so that’s out. Chosen has my interest, as does a marauder.

He has talked about keep sieges. No idea how those work or if a tank duo can pull it off. While I’m partial to chosen, would a marauder or sh be a better pairing with a black Ork? Can the marauder pull counter someone trying to kite us or can a tank duo do just fine even knowing that counter exists.

Thanks in advance.

Ads
HammerGuy

Re: Duo help please

Post#2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:25 pm

Two tanks cross guarded isn't bad. You won't die quick, but you won't kill quick either. One of you as a tank and the other as melee DPS is a better option. I've seen melee DoKs with guard doing nasty things to Order in scenarios, but most melee DoKs are trash.

I think black orc and marauder is a solid combination. The BO has good 2h damage potential while still being tanky (plus you're a tank so people will generally target you last anyway). The marauder can be tanky as well and can heal itself with the monstrosity mutation. Not to mention marauder can pull kiters, gets access to some really nice DPS and debuffs.

If either of you can make marauder work and the other can guard, then it's a good combination for warbands, scenarios, or duo roaming.

No matter the combo you pick, it'll be rough until you're RR60+ and in invader. I recommend joining an active guild and doing RvR with them.

Dixa

Post#3 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:33 am

Marauder is interesting, but i see so little content on marauders that isn't 2 years old or older. I rarely see one in the wild or in a scenario, which leads me to believe there may be something wrong with the class overall given the current meta.

i will try both chosen (dozens of threads on the first page of the chaos board) and marauder (one thread??) and see which i like.

CountTalabecland

Post#4 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:43 am

Mara has fallen off in the meta except its pull is very strong. It is still a good combo with a choppa and two tanks in the party for a melee train.

Goblins and Witch Elfs are the overtuned destro classes these days for non-warband play.

You can’t go wrong with a BO/SH or BO/Shaman combo.

Likewise, hitting a healer as a 2h BO just for them to turn and run into a stealthed WE is a nasty combo, especially against AM which has low defenses and no mobility, thats like a 90% secured kill just by what the classes are.

If you are looking to do warband play, then any tank babysitting a Choppa is the best duo for maximum AoE dmg.

If you play order, essentially any tank paired with White Lion or Slayer is excellent. Never play witch hunter, shadow warrior, or engineer.

BW can be good if done right. A well guarded AoE BW can do great dmg, mostly bc destro never expects a BW to take more than 2 hits to kill because most ppl who play BW are garbage.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Cyrylius

Post#5 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:40 am

Magus should work well with black ork, as it already performs very well in non 6v6 smallscale. Other than that i agree with what was already said.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

HammerGuy

Post#6 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:22 pm

Marauder can be underwhelming because it has to choose between ST DPS, debuffs, or AoE DPS. Sadly the ST and AoE it has aren't anything special. A WE or a choppa will out-damage the marauder, while the marauder will generally outlast them both. However, a choppa or WE with a guard will last just as long as the marauder, in general, so why bother unless you're low on tanks or heals.

The marauder is a Swiss army knife. It has a little knife, can opener, and some attachments that only Tzeentch knows what they do. But sometimes you need a big knife, or an actual can opener. Also, the WL is better in almost every way, except the dumb pet (which can be mitigated to a degree), tankiness, and the pull. Why play the Great Value White Lion when you can play an actual WL?

Avernus

Post#7 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 am

HammerGuy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:22 pm Also, the WL is better in almost every way, except the dumb pet (which can be mitigated to a degree), tankiness, and the pull. Why play the Great Value White Lion when you can play an actual WL?
You forgot to say that WL has HUGE AP issues when not using 2 skills (1 of them is AoE spam ability and the other one is ST spam ability with no that much damage, and to use this tactic you must be specced deep to the aoe tree). And this dumb pet tends to die very fast which robs you from your +50% crit power. No way to get -50% incoming healing (-25% proc from fortress weapon is good...but still not a 50%). Oh and no CC without speccing into the pet tree. No additional parry for dual wield. WL does not have any good M4. No wounds debuff for WL. No AP regen debuff. Mara damage buff gives you +25% damage. WL damage buff gives you +25% damage ONLY if you are flanking.

I guess you are saying that mara is better than WL only because aoe faceroll WL deals more damage than aoe faceroll mara.

HammerGuy

Post#8 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:31 pm

AP is less of a problem when you reach +10 AP/sec on your gear and you have AP pots.

Morale 4 is not something I would ever base my choice of class on.

Marauder has stances which trigger the 1.5 GCD. The armor debuff, execute, heal debuff, and most of the good abilities are locked to stances. This results in a large disparity in burst, favoring the WL.

WL is better because it has more burst.

Ads