Recent Topics

Ads

Most needed classes per side

Let's talk about... everything else
Asch126

Re: Most needed classes per side

Post#31 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:07 pm

lolhahaha wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:52 am I played KOTBS way back in 2008-2009 and it was a lot of fun. I wonder why nobody wants to play them now?

Anyway, I just started on this server and am going to try KOTBS again. I originally created an account several years ago but then forgot about it. Now when I tried to create a new account it says that my email is already registered lol.
It's not "nobody wants to play them". It's that, like in every game where you can choose, most people play DPS, so tanks and healers will ALWAYS, 100% always, be what is needed.

Ads
deepruntramp

Post#32 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:18 pm

Asch126 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:07 pm
lolhahaha wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:52 am I played KOTBS way back in 2008-2009 and it was a lot of fun. I wonder why nobody wants to play them now?

Anyway, I just started on this server and am going to try KOTBS again. I originally created an account several years ago but then forgot about it. Now when I tried to create a new account it says that my email is already registered lol.
It's not "nobody wants to play them". It's that, like in every game where you can choose, most people play DPS, so tanks and healers will ALWAYS, 100% always, be what is needed.
Actually that doesn’t seem to be the case in WAR. It seems to come down to how cool characters look on the creation screen more than anything else.

Destruction has half a billion tanks and zero healers. Chosen, Blackguard, and Black Ork all look straight off the cover of a metal album.

The Healers look pathetic. Zealot is hunched over with exposed midriff and Shaman is 3 feet tall and cowering in fear. That leaves DoK, which looks OK, but has relatively unimpressive visuals and combat feedback.

Order has the opposite problem: gobs of healers, no tanks. Warrior Priest is iconic and the 2 hander has a great sense of impact while 1-handers have cool VFX for spells. Archmage looks cool enough, but more importantly, it shoots lasers. Runepriest has some impressive and complicated endgame armor and some great spell effects.

Sadly their tanks look like crap next to Destro. The endgame Swordmaster doesn’t look too different from level 1: still in a dress, still burdened with a dildo helm. Ironbreaker looks like something between an anvil gliding across the ground and a waddling tin can. KOBTS looks like a Conquistador, but looks tiny and skinny next to Chosen and Black Orks.

This stays true for every pairing. There are substantially more gnarly looking Choppas than Slayers, who look like shirtless toddlers carrying an axe. Legolas Shadow Warriors are much more common than whatever the hell Squig Herders are. The guy with the giant axe and pet cat enjoys more popularity than the incredibly boring Marauder, whose aesthetic is entirely based on mutations you’ve seen the entirety of before level 10, and who also never reaches a high enough level to wear a shirt.

Asch126

Post#33 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:55 pm

deepruntramp wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:18 pm

Actually that doesn’t seem to be the case in WAR. It seems to come down to how cool characters look on the creation screen more than anything else.

Destruction has half a billion tanks and zero healers. Chosen, Blackguard, and Black Ork all look straight off the cover of a metal album.

The Healers look pathetic. Zealot is hunched over with exposed midriff and Shaman is 3 feet tall and cowering in fear. That leaves DoK, which looks OK, but has relatively unimpressive visuals and combat feedback.

Order has the opposite problem: gobs of healers, no tanks. Warrior Priest is iconic and the 2 hander has a great sense of impact while 1-handers have cool VFX for spells. Archmage looks cool enough, but more importantly, it shoots lasers. Runepriest has some impressive and complicated endgame armor and some great spell effects.

Sadly their tanks look like crap next to Destro. The endgame Swordmaster doesn’t look too different from level 1: still in a dress, still burdened with a dildo helm. Ironbreaker looks like something between an anvil gliding across the ground and a waddling tin can. KOBTS looks like a Conquistador, but looks tiny and skinny next to Chosen and Black Orks.

This stays true for every pairing. There are substantially more gnarly looking Choppas than Slayers, who look like shirtless toddlers carrying an axe. Legolas Shadow Warriors are much more common than whatever the hell Squig Herders are. The guy with the giant axe and pet cat enjoys more popularity than the incredibly boring Marauder, whose aesthetic is entirely based on mutations you’ve seen the entirety of before level 10, and who also never reaches a high enough level to wear a shirt.
I'm VERY sure most people don't look at the character creator and go "wow, this ONE outfit must mean x is better than y!!"

It's extremely well known by this point that, in any game with roles, tanks and healers are ALWAYS the least used. In this game, it's even extra true since many tank players tend to use 2-handed for more DPS and many "healers" play only with their DPS builds.

Toggle

Post#34 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 pm

Asch126 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:55 pm

I'm VERY sure most people don't look at the character creator and go "wow, this ONE outfit must mean x is better than y!!"

It's extremely well known by this point that, in any game with roles, tanks and healers are ALWAYS the least used. In this game, it's even extra true since many tank players tend to use 2-handed for more DPS and many "healers" play only with their DPS builds.
I think you may be underestimating the effect of aesthetics on player choice of classes. Personally, I will not be able to play a class that I can't enjoy visually. Whether that's their armor, weapon animations, etc. I don't know that it's quite as cut and dry as others have made it seem though. For example, I really enjoyed my zealot because he looked (to me) like what he was supposed to be - a religious zealot. Conversely, I leveled an SM to 60 and abandoned him when I realized that there were no armor sets/appearances that I was going to be able to put together that I would enjoy looking at. It could be that I'm an outlier, but I don't believe so.

Aesthetics aside, I think one of the biggest things driving player choice when it comes to class is the ability to play solo/zerg surf/etc. I know that was one of the biggest reasons I ended up shelving both my zealot and RP for my shammy/AM. They have viable solo builds in addition to viable group builds. I don't find myself playing my knight/chosen as often, unless I know that there is an organized group looking for a tank, because I don't want to waste my somewhat limited play time searching for a group to do things with. The same goes for/applies to DPS. Any of the mDPS require support in order to be enjoyable (for me), so I gravitate towards rDPS because, if I have to, I can play them solo and be somewhat successful...or, more importantly, feel more successful.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Nameless

Post#35 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:22 pm

Imo both are true aestetic and solo/dps capabilities. Add these criteria to all classes and you will see why some classes are more played than others. Yes, aesthetic is kinda subjective but there is some trends that cannot be underestimate like orders tanks being much worse looking that destro counterparts add better solo and dps potential and you got realm with much more tanks and frontline presents vs realm full with rdps.
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Asch126

Post#36 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:05 pm

Toggle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 pm

I think you may be underestimating the effect of aesthetics on player choice of classes. Personally, I will not be able to play a class that I can't enjoy visually. Whether that's their armor, weapon animations, etc. I don't know that it's quite as cut and dry as others have made it seem though. For example, I really enjoyed my zealot because he looked (to me) like what he was supposed to be - a religious zealot. Conversely, I leveled an SM to 60 and abandoned him when I realized that there were no armor sets/appearances that I was going to be able to put together that I would enjoy looking at. It could be that I'm an outlier, but I don't believe so.

Aesthetics aside, I think one of the biggest things driving player choice when it comes to class is the ability to play solo/zerg surf/etc. I know that was one of the biggest reasons I ended up shelving both my zealot and RP for my shammy/AM. They have viable solo builds in addition to viable group builds. I don't find myself playing my knight/chosen as often, unless I know that there is an organized group looking for a tank, because I don't want to waste my somewhat limited play time searching for a group to do things with. The same goes for/applies to DPS. Any of the mDPS require support in order to be enjoyable (for me), so I gravitate towards rDPS because, if I have to, I can play them solo and be somewhat successful...or, more importantly, feel more successful.
If you decide on aesthetics based on one outfit in the character creator without bothering to check the many others, that's on you.

Toggle

Post#37 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:33 pm

Asch126 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:05 pm
Toggle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:21 pm

If you decide on aesthetics based on one outfit in the character creator without bothering to check the many others, that's on you.
What? Nobody said that. Please reply once you have actually read my post. Thanks!
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]