Recent Topics

Ads

[Blackguard] Additional DOT Needed

Structured balance proposals should be posted here. Posts in this section will be taken into account during class balance reviews.
germ32

[Blackguard] Additional DOT Needed

Post#1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:26 am

Hello Everyone,

I am writing this post because I am of the opinion that Blackguards are in need of another DOT effect in their kit. Blackguards are the only class in the game that has only one DOT available either through abilities or tactics. Our one DOT is also a snare so it is by no means a heavy dps DOT.

If you consider that a vast majority of tanks (blackguards included) are not able to kill a target in under 10s, you can begin to understand how important dots are if you are trying to deal damage efficiently. Simply put, DOTs deal much more damage per GCD than direct damaging abilities if they are able to last their entire duration. Because the majority of tanks are not able to kill targets in under the amount of time a DOT takes to finish, it helps a lot to have access to abilities like this and it is a disadvantage for classes that do not.

I would also argue that DOTs on tanks are the most effective means to generate threatening amounts of damage. The reason I say this is because you are able to apply taunt after you have applied your dots and they will still gain the benefit of +30% damage. This allows you to have 3-4 abilities that are immediately benefiting from this +30% damage, whereas tank classes that do not have dots are only effectively buffing the damage of one ability at a time because they rely on direct damage. If you do this technique with a well timed knockdown it prevents your opponent from being able to remove your taunt by attacking you, and it vastly improves the overall effectiveness of your taunt.

My solutions to this would be one of the following:

Change the tactic Monstrous Ruin to something similar to the SMs Ensorcelled Agony or Deep Incision. I think this is a good solution because Monstrous Ruin is a fairly redundant tactic in itself. It doesn't reduce the hate cost of Monstrous Rending enough that you wouldn't need another hate generating tactic in order to spam aoe. You essentially get the same effect from just using efficient slaughter and thirst for death.

Or

Change the ability Feeding on Weakness to apply a DoT effect. I have heard rumblings from other blackguards that most people just straight up take this ability off their bar. The toughness buff that it gives can be replaced by a toughness potion and it doesn't heal/damage enough for it to be worth the GCD in a lot of cases.

Thanks for your consideration.
Phibes - 7x Marauder
Playerhater - 5x Blackguard
Phybes - 6x Sorcerer

Ads