Recent Topics

Ads

[AM/Sham] Class Mechanic adjustments

Structured balance proposals should be posted here. Posts in this section will be taken into account during class balance reviews.
Fenris78

[AM/Sham] Class Mechanic adjustments

Post#1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:23 pm

After several weeks playing my Archmage, and trying to learn how to use properly the dual lore class mechanics, it became clear to me that those need slight adjustements to bring MA and Shaman classes a bit more flexibility, both as healers and dps if needed, by having better use and control over their common specific mechanics.

My observations so far : stacking mechanic of lore points is good by concept ; you cast a spell, opposite lore got buffed. Boni (cast time reductio, potency, etc.) are fine to me.
Nonetheless, if this mechanic allows some "burst" in one side (ie. you can cast up to 5 skills in a row with buffed stats), the healer side of lore tend to run empty very quickly : you can always target yourself/allies with healing skills, and with greater range (150ft) than dps skills, wich require both an enemy target (not always easy to get when you're supposed to play backline), and that targets are in the dangerous 100ft range.

So, if it's easy and quick to boost your dps skills (you can do it even before engaging combat), it's harder to do the same to boost healing skills, since you have to put yourself in relative danger zone, and also find targets that are in range (wich -obviously- are not always attackable when needed).
So there is an inherent imbalance favouring dps side of the class, and meaning when enemy if far (or you are playing backline, as you're supposed to when healing) you can't heal to max range with best efficiency (ie. if frontline is more than 100ft away, you can't cast lifetaps, and all your heals are unbuffed). Pretty much common situation, and not very fitting in the "combat healer" you're meant to be.
But let's say it's ok, we don't ask for either 150ft. dps skills, or every healing back to 100ft, wich would be both silly.

My idea is pretty simple, to alleviate the issue : reduce the amount of max stacked points on same lore to 3, instead of the 5 current maximum.
Why ? It will not change fundamentaly the mechanic of the classes, but allow them more reactivity ; now you have "only" 3 attack skills to cast before regaining one buff point to healing spells, and vice-versa.
You lose on maximum "burst" what you're gaining in flexibility ; less momentum to regain the buffs on the needed lore.
Not to mention it will also ease the AP burden, wich is very heavy taxing for just playing the mechanics (having to cast five 30-40 AP before needed buff is like draining half your AP pool casting -often useless- spells).
Plus, in the meanwhile you lower the odds of running out of hostile targets before cleaning your "un-needed" stacked lore points, faster re-buffing one lore with maximum 5 casts (3buffed, then 2 unbuffeduntil getting all 3 stacks to the other side).

Additionnaly, I thought about a slight rework of the "Empowered Lore / Bust O' Waaagh!" tactics, wich are currently both useless since not working at all (you cant generate additionnal point to opposite lore when you have more than 1 in that lore - you only consume 1 point). Let's get those tactics the intended goal (I think).

The reworked tactics will work like this :
Every unbuffed spell that generate either Tranquility/Force (Mork/Gork) have a 25% chance to switch all stacked points to the opposite side. (Optional) Tactic cannot trigger more than once every 3 seconds.

What's that about ? The tactic is meant to allow more burst in a single way, when you have to get healing or dps-intensive.
Each of cast spell (wich generate stack point), when cast "unbuffed" (with 0 point in matching side) may proc the switching of currently stacked points to the other side (after the cast and point generation).

It will work like this :
- Start one healing/dps spell from zero state : the spell generate 1 point to opposite lore. Then the tactic have a 25% chance to switch the generated point into the same lore, allowing to cast a second spell of the same lore with buffed effect.
- You cast then a second unbuffed spell (on the other lore) : if the tactic doesn't proc, you still get one additional stack in opposite lore, as usual. If the tactic proc, you get a second stack as usual, and the now 2 stacked points are switched, allowing to cast 2 buffed spells on the lore you're using.
- Casting a third unbuffed spell (and subsequently) : you stack the 3rd point allowed, and if tactic proc, you now got 3 stacks that are switched in the lore you just cast, allowing to cast 3 buffed spells.

Resulting in somehow less control about when your buffed spell are on (risk to switch needed buffs when you don't need to), but allowing a better potential when using only one of the lore (as aforementioned, most likely in healing-heavy situations where you can't spend time/AP to cast on ennemies, or you can't reach them, wich occurs very often. Or in the opposite, when you need only damaging spells).

Intended scopes are, using max 3. stacks :

- Without tactic : more flexibility/reactivity when playing both sides of lores, to reward proper use of current mechanics.
- With tactic : more randomness when casting both sides, but potential for better burst on prolonged use of one lore.

Additionnaly, using reworked tactic should help the PvE defensive aspect of the classes : currently, since you have to damage the mobs/boss to buff heal, you cannot detaunt with efficiency, resulting in either being under heavy damage risk most of the time, or unable to cast optimal healing while being more resilient (when you only heal+detaunt).

I think those fairly simple changes may be experimented for both classes, and while not fundamentally change mechanics, will give more variety and gameplay options.

Ads