Recent Topics

Ads

[SH, Engineer and SW] Hail of Doom

Structured balance proposals should be posted here. Posts in this section will be taken into account during class balance reviews.
BeautfulToad

[SH, Engineer and SW] Hail of Doom

Post#1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:54 pm

Simple suggestion. I was in a fort as destruction, and we were holding well. There was a lag spike and I died, losing all my health (approx 10k) in a matter of seconds as a full vanquisher tank at the time. BHA is often cited by destruction as an OP ability so I checked the log to see if BHA was causing it. I actually found that something called Hail of Doom could cause massive unmitigated damage in a very short period of time. I checked the ability and it is 100 foot range that causes 3k unmitigated damage on unlimited targets within 20 feet over five seconds. Nothing I could find comes close to this m4 in terms of unmitigable damage, either ST or AoE.

According to the https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/career/engineer - engineer has this ability as well as SH and SW. Magus default m4 is set to BW/Sorc winds ability, which does half the damage with an aoe punt (presumably granting immunities) and has range of 5 foot. All engi's m4s that can be picked from trees are significantly weaker than Hail of Doom. Artillery barrage in particular seems completely redundant. It is not clear why the Magus would not be given a similarly useful default m4. While some players dismiss Engi and Magus, Engineer is a solid class as is Magus. It is not clear why it would need an m4 doing twice the amount of damage at much longer range.

Proposals
  • Remove Hail of Doom from Engineer and rework the default m4s for both Magus and Engi so they better fit the meta of each while keeping in mind range and damage trade-offs. Give Engi the current Magus default m4 until that is done.
  • Scale back the damage by around 50% for SW and SH but allow it to be fired on the move so don't make it a channelling ability. This would make it in line with the ranged meta (kiting and mobility), and would move it in line with BW and Sorc aoe m4s. Alternatively, leave the damage roughly as is as well as channelling, but increase the length of time required to deliver Hail of Doom greatly (10-15 seconds or thereabouts)

Ads