Recent Topics

Ads

[Zealot] Increase the range of Veil of Chaos (single target absorb shield) from 100ft to 150ft

Structured balance proposals should be posted here. Posts in this section will be taken into account during class balance reviews.
Omegus

[Zealot] Increase the range of Veil of Chaos (single target absorb shield) from 100ft to 150ft

Post#1 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:43 pm

Overview

This proposal is to increase the range of the Zealot's Veil of Chaos ability from 100ft to 150ft to match the range of the Zealot's other single target healing/support abilities. The exact same proposal also applies to the Rune Priest version of this ability. To make this proposal clearer I will just refer to everything using the Zealot's ability names. The Rune Priest versions are identical in all but name.

Current ranges

With two exceptions, the Zealot's healing/support abilities that target a specific ally all have 150ft range as is standard for targeted healing/support abilities. This also includes the Leaping Alteration (HoT that bounces from target to target), and Glimpse of Chaos (cleanse).

The two exceptions to the 150ft rule are Tzeentch Shall Remake You (single target resurrect) which is 100ft for all classes with a copy of this ability, and Veil of Chaos (single target absorb shield with a small heal at the end, 20s cooldown). In comparison, the Archmage and Shaman's single target absorb shield ability has a 150ft range with the same duration, same cooldown, but no small heal at the end.

Disclaimer: I am going by the ranges listed on the career builder website.

The problem

Having Veil of Chaos restricted to 100ft makes it different to reliably use in a single target heal rotation. All of the other abilities you will be actively using to keep a specific target alive can be used out to 150ft, but this one exception means that you will often find yourself out of range to apply it when needed if you're making full use of the Zealot's potential healing range. Considering this ability isn't used much to begin with due to the 20 second cooldown, missing out on chances to use it when it is not exactly the most powerful ability feels arbitary and unfair, especially when the Archmage/Shaman version is 150ft. I honestly do not feel that the small heal at the end of the Zealot/Rune Priest version warrants a 33% lower range. Or to put it another way: I honestly do not feel that the lack of a final heal warrants the Shaman/Archmage version having 50% more range.

The other 100ft healing/support ability is the single target resurrection ability. Considering how powerful this ability is, it feels fair that it has a reduced range compared to the healing abilities as it means the caster has to expose themselves to more risk by getting closer to cast the resurrection, which seems like a very fair trade-off for bringing a player back into the fight.

I do not know whether the 100ft range was set on live or if it a ROR change (either intentional or accidental), but please change it to 150ft to let it work in harmony with the rest of the targeted healing/support abilities.

Alternative Ideas

None really considered. The Zealot (and Rune Priest) single target absorb shield is slightly better due to the extra heal, but the Archmage and Shaman have a tactic that adds extra non-healing effects to their absorb shield while active and still retain the 150ft range.

The little heal granted by Veil of Chaos could be removed if that was considered the balancing requirement for the ability to be extended to 150ft, but it really doesn't seem like a needed change especially when it's a small heal on a 20s cooldown.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads