Recent Topics

Ads

Best way to play dps WP?

Let's talk about... everything else
Tsokushin

Best way to play dps WP?

Post#1 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of people that have tried this.

What is currently the best way to play dps WP in its current state?

What tree should I invest in for the optimal setup?

Other than strength and wounds, what stats should I emphasize in my gear?

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: Best way to play dps WP?

Post#2 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 pm

In its current state? Grace with leftover points in Wrath, focusing on sustained damage, good survivability and utilising your group heals to support your group.

I always ensure I have max parry/CW/RD given how easy it is for a WP to be permasnared/ccd/killed once targetted by a sorc.

You can attempt to play Wrath as a sortof dot-burst melee class (utilising the spirit dots) but the damage is not amazing and doesn't justify losing anything from Grace (wounds buff, 75% melee heal, parry)

divine fury and fanaticism are musts
i get the AA haste for my third, and last alternates between greave (if i dont have a kotbs), grace (if we lack heals, or want to try a grace wp as secondary healer - its fun) and guilty soul (but have to lose the grace wounds buff)

Tsokushin

Post#3 » Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 pm

peterthepan3 wrote:CW/RD
What are these?

So other than strength and wounds, I should be aiming for weapon skill for parry?

freshour
Banned

Post#4 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:03 pm

If you want higher DPS - play a DoK - or dare I say go wrath - but you need a guard. The fundamental problem with a wp is less AA than DoK's and a huge chunk of your damage is white number Auto Attacks. The WP prayers are 1 or the other, the DoK's are both. So WP can up their damage with one prayer or heal with another. DoK's get both. So you are playing your weaknesses there and not your strengths.

Your strengths are you hit harder with your single hits, aka grace of sigmar hits hard than transfer essence so you get a bigger heal than DoK's. So for damage output:healing ratio - wp will hear more. Also WP get shield of sigar instead of devour essence (huge damage/healing) vs the sigmar shield move which is useless. So another ability that is worthless for you.

So you can go at it in two ways. Spec up grace tree, spam your wounds buff out of combat for a decent aoe heal, take advantage of every pet for max aoe healing when you hit it. hot up yourself/melee when you are out of combat or running to combat. Never run long distances from 1 player to another. Target players between them to get off another aoe lifetap heal as you move.

I try to have 50-60% parry on my WP/DoK as melee trains on destro are much more prevalent than on order (usually only the order pres have WL's/Slayers) so parry is your friend. Follow up every single aoe (which builds righteous fury) with an aoe detaunt. And use your aoe detaunt to your advantage. The class has to deal damage to heal. So you are constantly balancing str/wounds/ws with armor/parry granted disrupt isn't as big anymore since undefendable attacks are more prevalent in t4. You will heal for in some cases double your damage but you have to know when to go in, and when to go out. Best bet is to find a tank to roam with.

The other option is go up wrath tree to your finisher, and grace tree maybe all the way to empower your sigmar for more healing, but you will be primarily focusing on damage. and therefore will need a guard. You are an assist, not the main assist so you have to choose your targets carefully. This takes a group to support you so the first option is a bit better.

- Use your initiative debuff as much as you can. You don't really get the DoT's of a DoK but going Grace your str buff is pretty significant so keep that up and the initiative debuff on primary target. Even if you aren't focussing on the main target since you see a pet to hit, debuff it then swing at the pet and if youcan't get to a target in the next second or two hit your wounds buff for another heal while you can.

- I shelved my melee healing WP until it receives some much needed love and I'm loving playing a melee healing DoK as it is much more suited for melee than the WP is.
- Your best friend is an iron breaker as they will protect you the most and buff you in all the right ways. You can slot armor talis if you want to stay up, and have leading the prayer on and you'll be tankier than you coulda ever imagined.
- You can use the damage prayer as a slayers inevitable doom is a direct damage dot so it can proc the prayer (only a few direct damage dots in the game).

But the moral is just play around a bit. Leading in damage is a dream, you'll do it sometimes but not very often. You can hit prettttty hard with your wrath finisher but only if its a squishie unguarded target like mostly anyone can. BUT you can pump out a lot of healing so if you are in a melee group you will be their best friend. If you are in a range group, just go get a beer as it is probably a loss.

I hope this helps a little, and discourages you less than it motivates you. But the class is a lot of fun. It has a few tactics that need tweaked, and a few abilities that could use a reduced cast time/cooldown and it'll be on par with melee DoK and can perform equally as well although the faster AA, 10% parry, and better prayers on the DoK will always put it above you in "capability" when it comes to melee healing, but if you make some friends, you can end up with a solid group.

Go get em.

- NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS - use rampaging siphon as your M2 it is a fulllllll party heal in most cases and you will be loved for it lol. Had to mention that. It is a LIFE saver a ton of the time.

TenTonHammer

Post#5 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Hey guys remeber when Bretin suggested makin WPs snare longer duration? And az said that he wants to see the effects of cross tree specing first?

Now that were 40/40 what's your opinion on that?

Bretin

Post#6 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:31 pm

TenTonHammer wrote:Hey guys remeber when Bretin suggested makin WPs snare longer duration? And az said that he wants to see the effects of cross tree specing first?

i never suggested that, please make sure to inform yourself before typing anything about me please.

i suggested to change the Healdebuff from 25% to 50%.

source and reason:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=11063&hilit=warrior+priest

Dabbart

Post#7 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 pm

melee WP works perfectly fine in PvE. Which imo is what the DPS specs of healers was created for. So that players could PvE solo as a healer. However, if you want to play mdps healer on your WP, the advice here is good. A few other pointers however:

The build I run in PvE and have(against my judgement) in premades to some effect:
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=wp; ... 4168:4186:

1, Use your Detaunt! Without alot of methods to gap close, you need to utilize your Detaunt efficiently. Especially on their RDPS as you are perma-slowed.

2, Squiqs and magus pets are your friends. Tend to have very little defenses, so you can use them to group heal very efficiently.

3, Alot of people like Greaves of Sigmar(3pt mastery tactic on Grace), I love it personally! but I find the heals gained from Leading the Prayer just keeps me alive too much to not take. A dead WP is a WP that gives 0 heals. This goes for a somewhat selfish use of Divine Assault as well at times.

4, Assist! If you are PUGing, then keep your eye out for the MDPS(preferably in your group) that seems to be targetting intelligently(ie isn't spending all their time on SnB tanks), and assist them!

5, and most importantly, you need a gaurd. Every single destro in your vicinity will target you. They will love to kill you. Be prepared to be reduced to a fine red mist quite often, even if you have a tank-bot.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Zanilos

Post#8 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:08 pm

Bretin wrote:
TenTonHammer wrote:Hey guys remeber when Bretin suggested makin WPs snare longer duration? And az said that he wants to see the effects of cross tree specing first?

i never suggested that, please make sure to inform yourself before typing anything about me please.

source and reason:
Did that change ever happen? Even as a short term test?

Ads
TenTonHammer

Post#9 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Bretin wrote:

source and reason:
Ah my mistake

TenTonHammer

Post#10 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Zanilos wrote:
Bretin wrote:

source and reason:
Did that change ever happen? Even as a short term test?
No az said he wants to see the affect of wps being able to spec in 2 trees and AoE deatuants with 2H's in T4 first