Texture Normal Mapping

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
User avatar
PartizanRUS
Posts: 594

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#21 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Sildur wrote:Managed to extract the shaders of the game. They have alot unused code for bump, specular and parallax mapping in it.
Sildur wrote:Yeah, I enabled it code wise for testing, but it won't do much without the heightmap and normal map textures.
Also that code is so inefficient, so many if and else statements, code all over the place #include functions everywhere, it hurts.
Now thats interesting, so its real. I was thinking about making bump map for some character with armor, but I don't know how exactly engine managing character textures. Is it composite and have pieces for each part so bump map must be made for each piece. Or its baked into 1 piece and bump map should bake same way for it. Thats only basic things I can think of for now.
Last edited by PartizanRUS on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
ImageImageImage Image

Ads
User avatar
saupreusse
Posts: 1809

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#22 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Sry that I can not answer it right now. but just to give you and idea:
the game uses normal and specular maps, and I even found a diffuse map if I'm not completely wrong (which might be the case). And I believe that some day we will have the power to edit these textures for all the clients out there.

User avatar
PartizanRUS
Posts: 594

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#23 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:28 am

saupreusse wrote:Sry that I can not answer it right now. but just to give you and idea:
the game uses normal and specular maps, and I even found a diffuse map if I'm not completely wrong (which might be the case). And I believe that some day we will have the power to edit these textures for all the clients out there.
The point is not to modify client, but to throw modders some "bone", hehe :] .
If every armor piece need a bump map, obviously you'll need some more help to make normal maps. I know all want want to see some examples, but its not ready yet.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
ImageImageImage Image

User avatar
Novgoroth
Posts: 128

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#24 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:02 am

:O

A shame i didn't see this topic !
I'm 3D chara artist, so if you need anything, i'm up to participate !
Martyrlady - Warrior Priest | Novastrale - Swordmaster | Vinterland - Shadow Warrior | Shanni - Archmage

Astrale - Disciple of Khaine | Navggoroth - Blackguard | Navgoroth - Sorceress | Drudkha - Zealot

User avatar
PartizanRUS
Posts: 594

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#25 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 am

Here you go, a quick example.

Before :

Image


After :
Image

Diffuse map is original(512х) upscaled to 2048.
Also I don't have specular maps for characters.
Last edited by PartizanRUS on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
ImageImageImage Image

User avatar
Razielhell
Former Staff
Posts: 1214
Contact:

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#26 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:21 am

Does it go even higher than that?
Image
Check Wiki for all available Public Quests!

Primator
Posts: 4

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#27 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:14 pm

The first time I started RoR I was wondering if when the game was new it didn't have normal maps?! I couldn't remember, been a long time. I'm new to RoR btw. awesome project.

I was curious about the normal maps and found this topic.
Gave it a try to see how well you can create a normal map form the actual diffuse maps.
This is NOT a method you would use on an up to date asset, but probably the only thing you could do in this case.

Since the game was not supposed to have normal maps, they heavily added lighting information to the diffuse map which diminishes the actual effect of a normal map if added afterwards.

See the result of my test below.
Considering the amount of assets and work needed to create normal maps and the results you can get, I don't think it's feasible.

Image
Image

User avatar
PartizanRUS
Posts: 594

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#28 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Primator wrote: Since the game was not supposed to have normal maps, they heavily added lighting information to the diffuse map which diminishes the actual effect of a normal map if added afterwards.

See the result of my test below.
Considering the amount of assets and work needed to create normal maps and the results you can get, I don't think it's feasible.

http://i.imgur.com/CNCN1lv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OhiOmQe.jpg
How do you know that WHO renderer is working this way ? Only devs know how and they don't tell anyone.
Images look like renders from 3d editor.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
ImageImageImage Image

Ads
Primator
Posts: 4

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#29 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:37 am

PartizanRUS wrote:
Primator wrote: Since the game was not supposed to have normal maps, they heavily added lighting information to the diffuse map which diminishes the actual effect of a normal map if added afterwards.

See the result of my test below.
Considering the amount of assets and work needed to create normal maps and the results you can get, I don't think it's feasible.

http://i.imgur.com/CNCN1lv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OhiOmQe.jpg
How do you know that WHO renderer is working this way ? Only devs know how and they don't tell anyone.
Images look like renders from 3d editor.
Not sure if I understand you correctly.
Of course this are not renders from the engine, the point was to test if it's possible to get a decent normal map out of the diffuse. The normal map effect in engine should be similar, doesn't matter how the engine is working in detail.

User avatar
PartizanRUS
Posts: 594

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#30 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 am

Primator wrote: Not sure if I understand you correctly.
Of course this are not renders from the engine, the point was to test if it's possible to get a decent normal map out of the diffuse. The normal map effect in engine should be similar, doesn't matter how the engine is working in detail.
I see. Generating normals out of diffuse will make a very bad quality if not worse. Diffuse also have low resolution.
Good thing you can manually draw sharp normal details in 3D editor - http://i.imgur.com/SaORCBn.jpg . Problem is we don't even know how it will look in game.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
ImageImageImage Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flintboth and 1 guest