Recent Topics

Ads

Patch Notes 9/9/2017

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Glorian

Re: 9/9/2017 Patch Notes

Post#91 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Like explained. A portal works only every six seconds. So you can't really transport troops with it. Also you can't attack an bo with it. You need to gather and go there on your feet.

Yes. Going through the portal removes killing players who want to leave the warcamp alone and join his warband. So if you want to do that you need them alone on BOs where there are no npcs he can hide behind.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Post#92 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:22 pm

GodlessCrom wrote: Teleporting everywhere and avoiding content also sounds like great gameplay and fun design. Why even have zones if we just teleport across them to reach the pvp spots? I understand you're being willfully obtuse to make some kind of point, but six man's aren't only about ganking stragglers and you know it. This also affects solo roamers, as Nicelook said.

I suppose it might help if the devs articulate their reasoning behind including the portals in zones above t1. It seems like an anti-fun mechanic, and counter to the spirit of open-world rvr. If I wanted to teleport instantly to an area and get a fight it defend a point, I would play a scenario.
Reasoning will be shared in due time by Yali, as this is his system, slowly implemented by me, based on work of Wash. You can always disagree with it afterwards.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#93 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Okay. Look forward to testing it.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#94 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:
GodlessCrom wrote:I don't play squiggly herder and I also think the portals kinda blow. They are good in t1 where no one has good mounts and the zones are sometimes largish, like elf. But it kinda ruins roaming groups if you can't get pick offs because people just Insta teleport around. It just seems like an odd idea since we seem pretty committed to not giving players easy stuff, but Insta teleport across the map is like...the definition of easy mode.
Teleporting everywhere and avoiding content also sounds like great gameplay and fun design. Why even have zones if we just teleport across them to reach the pvp spots? I understand you're being willfully obtuse to make some kind of point, but six man's aren't only about ganking stragglers and you know it. This also affects solo roamers, as Nicelook said.

I suppose it might help if the devs articulate their reasoning behind including the portals in zones above t1. It seems like an anti-fun mechanic, and counter to the spirit of open-world rvr. If I wanted to teleport instantly to an area and get a fight it defend a point, I would play a scenario.
There are two situations when a BO allows use of a portal.

1. The BO is captured and controlled by your team. A portal is spawned from the warcamp to that BO.
2. The zone has flipped and is no longer active. There is a portal from the BO to the warcamp.

It's not like the portals are always open that go back and forth. Essentially, if you capture some territory you can deploy troops from that location instead of from the single warcamp when you respawn. Once you deploy those troops however, they either need to die, or run, to get to the next objective. Considering how warcamps are normally centralized, hopping to another BO is not necessarily going to get you quickly to another objective, but it could alleviate being spawncamped.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#95 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Thank you for the explanation, wargrimnir. As I said, I look forward to testing it more.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Teefz

Post#96 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Hargrim wrote:@Teefz

Woops, I made a typo, it should go like this:
3. I think the portals work a little different than you think - you can't use it to move whole warband at the same time and you can't use it if there are enemies around the BO you want to port to, so suicide runs with portals should not happen.
As a side note, we probably all know what class you play and what is your playstyle - uncatchable SH so I guess those changes will force you to change the way you play, but you will for sure adapt, if this thing stay in place. To avoid the portal from opening just contest the flag (be near it - it will change to neutral), it will close immediately.
Thank you for your continuous replies and work Hargrim.

Just to clarify, I understood your typo right away and it has nothing for me personally to do with changing playstyles. I wrote this feedback, because I strongly believe that the tier-2-3-4 merge is a fun viable solution for the future of orvr, especially considering the low population-periods, the fresh breath of air that 12 "new" zones bring and so on. I only put this feedback here, because despite of "you can't use it to move whole warband at the same time". This did seem to occur a few times during the first few hours of the event, hopefully it was fixed during the non-stop hotfixes.

My main concern with this feature though, is not about how many people can pass through the portals, but it is to have to such a easy option to instantly travel across the orvr lake - bare in mind people are mostly safe in PVE as the ORVR-part is limited to the lake only unless you have been fighting in the zone or you flagged yourself. Again, it has nothing to do with what class I play at the time, but when a certain part of a mechanic "promote zerging/avoiding fights": in the sense that your realm controls the bo, even if just one player ports there. He still reinforces the BO, without exposing himself whatsoever. And since he was able to port, he already had allies on the bo. I understand that this cannot occur if the BO is being attacked and everyone cannot port instantly, but that is beside the point - If the player, duo, trio, group, warband or the realm wants to deploy more forces to get to the BO, they mount up from their camp and fight their way there. That is what WAR should promote is it not? I hope you understand my point/concern, whether or not you share it is entirely up to you of course.
I look forward to testing it some more. :)

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#97 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm actually writing a BIG note about the global Rework (what it will be when finished). Here is the specific answer you are looking for :

b. Teleport to BO.
Spoiler:
-Of course, don't expect to move a full Warband instantly. Consider you will be able to teleport 1 player per tick (6 sec). So to move a full warband will take around 2 minutes.
-Teleporting will cost a small amount of resources to your realm so be careful :).

WHY?
Sometime, you can lose your teammates, or some strategic situations will "force" you to move fast in some place. This option (who will have a cost) gives you opportunity to move faster for many reason; reach a point in map, reinforce defense to a specific Battle Objective, Join rest of the team, avoid Warcamp siege...
Note the teleport limit is low in time for obvious reasons. It is not designed to teleport a full realm from a place to another :).
Keep in mind this will have a cost for your realm (consider it will cost the BO resource tick for a teleport).
Now, think about this option for yourself, AND for the opposite faction. + holding a BO means : not be anywhere else.

navis

Post#98 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Some of the questions I had were concerning the progression of the Campaign (what it will be when done), possible counter-objectives, etc. I really like how there is going to be some outcome in to the higher Tier after a lower Tier is locked.

How will the pairings all begin? Reason for this question is that in my personal observation more could be done to make zones more appealing choices to go to (counter-objectives). My suggesion is to not limit the choices to only 1 Tier (eg T2), perhaps open one T2, T3 and T4 of different pairing (eg T2 empire, T3 elf, T4 dwarf). Maybe add a shuffle to the initial set to add variety?

Strategies to combat spawn camping? We've seen quite a bit of this lately, unfortunately. It is (IMHO) one of the worst possible outcomes in this game.

Have you considered the outcome for a zone draw/stalemate?

Ads
Teefz

Post#99 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Yaliskah wrote:I'm actually writing a BIG note about the global Rework (what it will be when finished). Here is the specific answer you are looking for :

b. Teleport to BO.
Spoiler:
-Of course, don't expect to move a full Warband instantly. Consider you will be able to teleport 1 player per tick (6 sec). So to move a full warband will take around 2 minutes.
-Teleporting will cost a small amount of resources to your realm so be careful :).

WHY?
Sometime, you can lose your teammates, or some strategic situations will "force" you to move fast in some place. This option (who will have a cost) gives you opportunity to move faster for many reason; reach a point in map, reinforce defense to a specific Battle Objective, Join rest of the team, avoid Warcamp siege...
Note the teleport limit is low in time for obvious reasons. It is not designed to teleport a full realm from a place to another :).
Keep in mind this will have a cost for your realm (consider it will cost the BO resource tick for a teleport).
Now, think about this option for yourself, AND for the opposite faction. + holding a BO means : not be anywhere else.
Thank you for your reply Yali.

Just to be clear I think that the fact you need people on the BO to control it is a good change overall. I got no issue with that so far. But while your post does provide me with a reasoning behind teleport and I respect and understand why you guys wanna try this out. I still do not believe this "teleport to bo" to be a good addition outside T1, but I look forward to testing it further, maybe it will convice me otherwise. :)

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#100 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Someone in the team share your doubts :).

My answer : Lets test it. If it is a fail, i'll say "i was wrong" and we will remove it.