Recent Topics

Ads

[Review] [BW/Sorc] Mechanic

Proposals after the two week discussion period will be moved to this sub-forum for internal review.
bctakhy

Re: [BW/Sorc] Mechanic

Post#171 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Spoiler:
Penril wrote:The current mechanic is NOT noticeable in ST spec. Actually, the spec has nothing to do with it; you only notice the mechanic if you are solo/pugging.

Also, as I said, if no one focuses me then Backlash will represent 100% of my inc damage. I don't know where you got that 30% from but it means nothing without giving proper context (who were you fighting, were they able to attack/focus you, were you guarded, was your spec glass cannon/defensive, were you in guard range, etc. etc. etc.).
Wrong. Use dps meter and u will see how in ST / DoT spec u get more self dmg, unless u are with 2 chop fasta choppas in group. AoE spec have 2 channel skill that only hit u 1 time.
2 warnings in 2 consecutive posts. Must be a new record. Next one will get you banished from the BDF.

Ads
Serrow

Post#172 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Backlash is a weird mechanic in that it punishes you when you're solo play or unsupported but turns into more of a basic annoyance when in a competent group. I will say though it's not nullified entirely - there have certainly been times when playing bomb spec where I'm pretty sure a string of unlucky backlashes put me over the edge whereas I might have lived otherwise if I just played it safer and stopped casting for a few seconds.

I know a theoretical nerf/buff/rework is being considered in a group context, but I have to say as a mostly solo player I would never touch the class ever again with a ten foot pole if some of the suggestions in this thread were implemented. I don't feel like it's entirely fair to balance around the ideal scenario - yes that'll be the reality expected at high level play, but it's not always going to be the case that you have a pocket healer and/or guard following you around everywhere you go upon logging in as a BW/Sorc. :P

At this point, I think the only way to truly redo the mechanic and make it worthwhile would be to revamp the baseline abilities of the class, and that gets into murky territory I'm sure. The only 'simple' solution I can think of is to increase Backlash damage and make it more proportional to health, but then we're back in the territory of making the class simply unbearable to play as if you're not running with a group.
Last edited by Serrow on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashanor

Post#173 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Here is my contribution to this discussion.

So it would work like this. You reach 100 combustion and now you have a debuff on you called "Red Wind Sickness" (or something like that). If you are healed by an outside source while this debuff is on you, Playing with Fire is instantly cast on you.

Playing with Fire is an immolation spell which casts a 50% heal debuff and causes damage to anyone who heals you.

Meltdown becomes instant cast, and has the added effect of removing Playing with Fire from you, additionally, if you don't have a target you can cast meltdown on yourself (deals no damage to you, maybe heals you for that damage instead). Could possibly also add a defensive buff to it. Maybe a 10 second armor buff for helping to getting away from the melee train.

In return, to help with solo and PUG play, combustion no longer damages you.

Additionally: Wall of Fire (Immolation's highest ability, which nobody has ever cared about) is renamed to Fire Pact and becomes a self buff (60m) that makes all of your Hex's unable to be removed. Alternatively, you could just buff Smoldering Embers to be much more reliable (25% chance to reignite spontaneously - same as current, but 75-100% chance to reignite if dispelled).

Conflagration and Incineration Bright Wizard's can come up with their own ideas for their buff to compensate.

Obviously this is just an idea I threw together and has not been tested to see how it would work out, so take it easy on the criticism.
Last edited by Ashanor on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richardwarhawk

Post#174 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Id like to know how to build a sorc or bw like this as well lol

spikespiegel84

Post#175 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Ugle wrote:Suggestion: make crit/critdmg bonus from combustion also affect bw/sorc. I.e if yo're at 100 combustion you get +30% to be crit, +100% incoming critdmg. Risk/reward
Percentage a bit too high, but basically what I had in mind.

footpatrol2

Post#176 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Why not just increase the backlash damage so it really hurts.

Nameless

Post#177 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Why make punishing mechanic? Just make them choose to drop mechanic point cos of different benefits. For example I would make something like that:
0-25 combustion = 0% dmg; 50% crit
26-50 combustion = 25%; 40% crit
51-75 combustion = 50% dmg; 30 crit
76-100 combustion = 80% dmg; 0 crit

Ps numbers are totaly random and are listed only to ilustrate the idea of mechanic that u need to manage to be top tier
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Xissc

Post#178 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Nameless wrote:Why make punishing mechanic? Just make them choose to drop mechanic point cos of different benefits. For example I would make something like that:

Ps numbers are totaly random and are listed only to ilustrate the idea of mechanic that u need to manage to be top tier

I actually like this. Instead of making it a mechanic that is a, for the most part, permanent damage boost. make is so it gives like a 10 sec buff when you dump it. So like what he has, or even using the existing bonuses, when you dump DP/Com you get the 30% crit/100% crit damage. This way still have to build up DP/Com, but you can't just sit on it forever. Also it's not a negative mechanic to health/damaging making it easier to pug a sorc in groups where healers forget that sorcs/BW need to stay hot'd.

Ads
lefze
Suspended

Post#179 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Xissc wrote:
Nameless wrote:Why make punishing mechanic? Just make them choose to drop mechanic point cos of different benefits. For example I would make something like that:

I actually like this. Instead of making it a mechanic that is a, for the most part, permanent damage boost. make is so it gives like a 10 sec buff when you dump it. So like what he has, or even using the existing bonuses, when you dump DP/Com you get the 30% crit/100% crit damage. This way still have to build up DP/Com, but you can't just sit on it forever. Also it's not a negative mechanic to health/damaging making it easier to pug a sorc in groups where healers forget that sorcs/BW need to stay hot'd.
With tuning of the abilities to make it actually possible to both gain and spend mechanic points in a meaningful and intelligent way this would be a great solution, but right out of the box this would completely break the class for ST, and not change anything for AoE other than enabling a bit more free use of surging pain. But the base idea is really good.
Rip Phalanx

areanda

Post#180 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:12 pm

To be fair I see penril constantly writing backlash in single target is to low and not harsh enough ..but are u trying to balance a sorc while ur at the back line in a safe spot and not getting focused. Meaning u try and balance or make it harder for pug and solo players or also the small groups.. or are u actually balancing the class for the bigger play which is orvr.