Recent Topics

Ads

Dev Diary : November 2017

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Dev Diary : November 2017

Post#1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Version francaise
Übersetzung in Deutsch
Italian translation
Dear all;

Here's November's dev diary.
The past few months have taken their toll for everyone, and you've probably noticed and experienced numerous change on the server.
Before we dive in, I'd like to thank you all for the patience you show in regard to the new RvR system. I know that you need to adapt to something different, imcomplete et sometimes frustrating. But courage ! We're halfway through.
Behind the curtains, the teams are working hard to bring you, each week, an impressive number of ameliorations and I thank them all for their selfless dedication, their patience and their motivation.
Now let's see what RoR has in store for you in the near/distant future J.

Let the money talk.
Right about now, the project is largely funded by the ads running on the forum. As you may have noticed, there is actually quite few of them and we would like to keep it that way.
To help us keep the project well financed, I ask you again : please deactivate your ad-blockers and come on the forum as often as you can to have a look.

New RvR system
After some months of testing and a bunch of adjustments, the changes implemented that was part of the DOOMSDAYS EVENT seem to function. Therefore, the combination of T2, T3 and T4 players and the multipairing system will become permanent.
Concerning the rework of the system itself, half of it is already implemented, et we are ever looking to fix every detail we can about the mechanics involved.
That being said, we are very keen to have your feedback. Even if we do not respond to it, we try to always take it into consideration with eveything we implement.
There is still 2 huge blocks of essential stuff that we need to get up and running before we can consider the RvR rehaul complete :
- The siege system, taking into account the rank of each faction to calibrate the damage et protections against siege weapons;
- Modificators for the Battles objectives that should have a dynamic impact during siege (regeneration of doors, damage on siege weapons and on the Lords...)
When that part's done, we'll be able to focus on the little ''bonus'' stuff :
- Drop of ressource as part of the loot from kills
- Implication of guilds into the RvR system (war money, claiming fortress)
- Multiple other fun thingies…
Please note that we'll bring small adjustments to the classic lock condition (keep capture) in case of strong AAO:
- Relic transport : the faction capturing a Keep will have to bring a relic back to their own keep. The speed of the relic bearer will be directly indexed on the opposing faction's AAO. At the same time, the faction that just lost a keep will be struck by a buff of vengeful fury, also indexed on AAO.
The cause for this springs from the observation that, in case of biggly huge AAO, the losing faction doesn't have enough time to organise a counter-attack. Through this new system, we are trying to give them that time so this losing faction doesn't give up altogether too quick.
Once this is done and tuned up correctly, we will be able to open a new RoR chapter : Fortress.

Roll System
This is brand new and we are keeping an eye on it to tuned it up. That being said, some are a little confused about what's going on. So, let me clarify a bit. First of, you need to distinguish two things :
- The personal loot system is based on your ONW contribution;
- The contribution system.
What changed is the loot roll system. The contribution system, very basic since it was implemented, will be our next step in completing this ensemble. We didn't begin by changing it for technical reasons, but recent progress allow us to begin to refine it now. So, how does this system work ? And why is freaking everyone getting white bags now ?
Before saying more and to bring up some numbers, right after the implementation of the new individual loot roll system, more than 1200 gold bags were won in 3 days. Which, you'll agree, is a lot...
Hence, here's how it works. You'll see, its simple.
When a zone locks, the server makes the sum of all the contribution for all concerned players and creates an average. This average corresponds to an x% chance to get a gold bag. Each other bag's roll (purple, blue, green) gets a bonus. The more common the bag, the bigger the bonus is. Logic.
After those calculations, every player rolls a dice (1 to 100) on his own chances (rule of 3 + a small penalty if on the losing faction + an AAO base modifier) for a gold bag. If won, then the roll stops there. If not, we add a small bonus on gold bag's next roll and we move on to a roll for a purple bag, and so on. Please note, that this little bonus is specific to each type of bag and is never lost until that type of bag is won. Hence, this bonus is always going up till you win. Once you do, the bonus start back at 0.
Consequently, after a lock, there could be 100% of players winning gold bags as well as 0%. Your own contribution is only increasing your odds to get one, but it never assures you to do so. Neverthless, sooner or later, your turn will comeJ.
There is no more 12 bags for X players, but X gold, purple, blue, green and white bags for X players.
The idea behind all this isn't to distribute more bags, but simply to create a less frustrating system that is as just as possible in rewarding contribution no matter the number of players involved.
Obviously, this system is fairly new and will require some tweaking; and we are already foreseeing some small changes to make it more fair (like indexing the bonus based on your contribution instead of it being a fixed value).

Dungeons
Like I promised: it's coming! For a couple weeks already, every night, testers are running through our first dungeon again and again to help finetune it. The idea is to give you the best experience possible and not ''just'' a dungeon. So, ya, it's comingJ.

PvE
Far from forgetting PvE, the team is working hard to improve and fix the PvE content. And I think that every week, you can see the improvements. All PQs are being reworked in the hope of getting them as close as possible to how they were on live while also having them feel as hard as their difficulty level implies.

Patcher and client control
This tool is very complicated to develop. Being able to interact with the game client is a task that cannot be treated lightly and the technical hability to do it correctly is lacking us at this moment. So, even if progress is slowly made, I can't give you any ETA on this. When we deploy the new patcher, we want to avoid as much as possible even the smallest problems in installation, client corruption and everything related.

Class balance
Every week, new functionalities lets us tweak/improve how every class function. Thanks to this, we have more and more flexibility to work on things. No need to say though, our first goal is to make the game as balanced as possible, and that means some of you will gnash your teeth at some point, from patches to patches. Understand this is nothing personal :p

In parallel with the work of balance (More or less patcher dependant), another "small" R&D project is in progress. A picture worth more than a thousand words ... Who knows ... some day...

Gear sets and equipment
The Onslaught set should make its way into the game soon. Finally Hargrim and Skorri are back from their holidays in Mt. Gunbad and should speed up the process of reworking all of the chapter 22 hard Public Quests. Those PQs will be a lot tougher than your average PQ and too dangerous to try alone. However, I need to explain something that may seem self evident but isn't. When the staff develops a new set, it's not just one set that needs to be done, but 24. One for each class. And that represents a huge workload. Specific tools are being designed to help us achieve sets creation faster in the future.

Land of the Dead
Just kidding...

RR limits
Ah. I warn you right now, this is in the cards, but it will take some time before it goes live. For now, it's just an idea, but it seems like an important one to us. The RR limit is 80 as of now. Once this is achieved, no more purple rain. SAD. Just when everything is starting to get interesting for the server, some players lose motivation. Knowing this, we are thinking about unlocking the renown gain way past RR80. Of course, to preserve some balance in the game, no stats will be impacted by this change. And the unlocked stuff would be of a more cosmetic type (appearance items, titles, shiny trinkets...) A priori, this unlocking would be followed by a lift on the renown gain slowdown for the RR40+ players.

[Events]

The time has almost come, Bright Wizard College reopens after a very long time in the next weeks. More details will follow as we move closer to the release day.
To conclude, I have to ask something of you. Could you please become the emissaries for this project by speaking about it to your friends, your social network contacts with the goal of growing our community. The improvements that were made on the server this year are real and I believe sincerely that next year will be great for RoR. Might as well get as many people in so all can profit and have fun !!!
So this pretty much sums up what I can tell you about the project. Thank you for your patience and your support.

Yali and the RoR team.

Ads
Acidic

Re: Dev Diary : November 2017

Post#2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Sound good, still impressed with the pace these days

Karl

Post#3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm

Looks awesome! thx a bunch for all the hard work and effort you guys put in!

Zlove

Post#4 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 pm

"Land of the Dead
Just kidding..."

That was heartless.
Leader of Black Library
Zlove zealot
Zelove dok

Shalktonin

Post#5 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Pace is great but don't burn out on it. Please don't burn out on it.
Scientia potentia est, tene hanc bene

Calagh

Post#6 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:23 pm

I think that what you have done in the past few months is incredibly nice! I personally love the new roll system and ofc the t2-3-4 merge. Action is often constant and challenging and you have great motivations to make efforts for your side!
I look forward to see dungeon runs!

Congratulations for your work RoR staff!

(My 2 cents)
Xala - Sorceress - TUP

kmark101

Post#7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm really looking forward to Fortresses (and city sieges). Those were awesome part of Live. Hope the project will be able to achieve that some day. Maybe the new RR80+ ranks could be connected to this (can only gain above 80 in a city siege, etc..).

Excellent work, the game is almost like bugfree for me and the small things that are not working just easy to ignore. I'm very happy to hear that you don't neglect PvE as the Warhammer lore is awesome in this game.
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Fallenkezef

Post#8 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Shalktonin wrote:Pace is great but don't burn out on it. Please don't burn out on it.
I second this, slow and steady, we can wait for shinies.
Alea iacta est

Ads
Clippz

Post#9 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Keep up the great work!

tazdingo

Post#10 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:13 pm

ORC SHAAAAAAMMMMMAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN