Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Looking for THE build

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Fallenkezef

Re: [Magus] Looking for THE build

Post#81 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:43 am

On WoW I loved Warlock, leveling up Magus as my cult/apothercary toon.

What is the best dot build and which renown abilities are reccommended?
Alea iacta est

Ads
Renork

Post#82 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Crumbs wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 am
Tankbeardz wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm
Crumbs wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 am Both engi and magus are in a bad place, engi has no use vs a good team except group damage tactics. Because people’s “claims” about Armor pots nullifying an engis damage is actually true. You will do no damage, and killing pugs don’t count. Every time I’ve fired off a boc or any of the magus’ equivalent spells, Ive done more damage than on my engi. Highest I’ve crit on pugs with snipe is 2.3k. Vs armoured (armored can literally be anyone not just tanks) it’ll barely be a 1200-1400 crit tops with 500ws 40% crit and 1100 bs. Every single time I’ve crit with magus boc unless the target had rediculous resists or guard, it’s been for at least 2k. I’ve even had blue fire crit for 2.2k on pugs. Also magus can fire off a surging violet fire after basically every cast + crit damage modifiers and you have an instant cast that Crits for 1.2k + on a 3 sec cooldown that you can also skip gcds with.

I remember someone comparing ifoc to FF saying that FF was way faster yada yada. I’ve had IFOC do more damage in one single tick, than an entire FF stream. Engi is no faster than a magus. Magus’ real weakness is... you’ll never actually hit anything. Literally
Neither class was ever any good at killing organized groups. Sure your snipe doesn't hit as hard but if you are ST spec you can also throw in phosphorus shells and hip shot into your finisher rotation and you can get it all of before a magus can. I have been playing magnet + snipe for lols lately and the finishers work fine even without phos shells. If you are having trouble killing most people you are doing it wrong.
Yes they both aren’t that good at organised groups, however a magus is much better at damage and burst and always will be.
For a max damage close range rotation, Magus fires off boc (3k+dmg), Surge of insanity(1.3k+), surging violet (1.3k+), and ifoc (1.3k+ per tic) and then you use 3s surging violet fire again for a potential 1.3k again. You can make all of this damage land almost all at once up until the last surging violet. That’s a potential 8k 1-2s time stamped burst follows by another 1.3k 2 seconds later. Don’t get me started on m2 and throwing blue mutating Fire in the mix.

Show me a engi rotation that even comes close to doing that much damage/burst. No engi can reach that burst potential, even if every one of their hits was just crits, it wouldn’t beat it. Also just FYI I pretended as if the magus landed all of their attacks and crits, which normally would never happen ofc.
I love how you spew out hypothetical numbers and try to use them to justify an idiotic buff, it really shows how ignorant you are.

3k BoCs are possible on sub 40's who have shitty gear. A guarded mdps? show me evidence of your 3k BoCs on them. On tanks? yeah okay. Healers? try again.

Even in pug scenarios all it takes is a semi-decent tank to guard his mdps and your capacity goes from being a threat to annoyance.

Yes, on live magus did have excellent potential once properly geared with BoC/SoI/SVF/IFoC, but here you face LOLDISRUPT DISRUPT DISRUPT. I'm sitting at 1068 int with a pot and I face the disrupt party on a daily basis.

You can't target tanks because loldisrupt/block/HtL/WoDS, you can't target healers because their lolwillpower is enough to disrupt majority of your attacks. So you're stuck targeting mdps or bad engies such as yourself. The latter being easier to kill.

I can assure you live does not = ROR sweetheart, but feel free to roll a magus and show us your 8k stamps tho.

Crumbs

Post#83 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Renork wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 pm
Tankbeardz wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Neither class was ever any good at killing organized groups. Sure your snipe doesn't hit as hard but if you are ST spec you can also throw in phosphorus shells and hip shot into your finisher rotation and you can get it all of before a magus can. I have been playing magnet + snipe for lols lately and the finishers work fine even without phos shells. If you are having trouble killing most people you are doing it wrong.
Yes they both aren’t that good at organised groups, however a magus is much better at damage and burst and always will be.
For a max damage close range rotation, Magus fires off boc (3k+dmg), Surge of insanity(1.3k+), surging violet (1.3k+), and ifoc (1.3k+ per tic) and then you use 3s surging violet fire again for a potential 1.3k again. You can make all of this damage land almost all at once up until the last surging violet. That’s a potential 8k 1-2s time stamped burst follows by another 1.3k 2 seconds later. Don’t get me started on m2 and throwing blue mutating Fire in the mix.

Show me a engi rotation that even comes close to doing that much damage/burst. No engi can reach that burst potential, even if every one of their hits was just crits, it wouldn’t beat it. Also just FYI I pretended as if the magus landed all of their attacks and crits, which normally would never happen ofc.
I love how you spew out hypothetical numbers and try to use them to justify an idiotic buff, it really shows how ignorant you are.

3k BoCs are possible on sub 40's who have shitty gear. A guarded mdps? show me evidence of your 3k BoCs on them. On tanks? yeah okay. Healers? try again.

Even in pug scenarios all it takes is a semi-decent tank to guard his mdps and your capacity goes from being a threat to annoyance.

Yes, on live magus did have excellent potential once properly geared with BoC/SoI/SVF/IFoC, but here you face LOLDISRUPT DISRUPT DISRUPT. I'm sitting at 1068 int with a pot and I face the disrupt party on a daily basis.

You can't target tanks because loldisrupt/block/HtL/WoDS, you can't target healers because their lolwillpower is enough to disrupt majority of your attacks. So you're stuck targeting mdps or bad engies such as yourself. The latter being easier to kill.

I can assure you live does not = ROR sweetheart, but feel free to roll a magus and show us your 8k stamps tho.
You didn’t say anything I hadn’t already stated or knew. Is this a discussion or are you just trying to tell me what you think of me?
If I can’t crit 3k vs premade tanks (no ****), then you tell me about how well engi does against them with his snipe. All those issues are the same ones I’ve been dealing with for years on both classes, no surprises.
And apples to apples on straight up burst and damage, whether your boc is hitting a guard or a 40% disrupt healer, it’ll still be more than engi. That’s what I’m talking about here. And whether I can do 8k stamps or not(I can’t, no ****, again), engis max stamped damage doesn’t even dream of what magus can do, pugs or not.

Also before we start slinging more insults, I’m not the master magus with 1068 int that got outperformed by a sub par green gear 860 int magus on one of the past scs. I also remember killing you a couple times on my engi. So This isn’t a whine saying engi is bad, it’s a comparison between classes.

Don’t whine to me about issues every class has when pugging to prove your point. And you should recruit a good SH to duo with to help with your loldisrupt problem. Or get a group and run assists so you’re not solo hero trying to take out healed guards as a pug magus. Or don’t complain, I’m sure you’ve seen these same words before
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Renork

Post#84 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 am

Crumbs wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 pm
Renork wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 pm

You didn’t say anything I hadn’t already stated or knew. Is this a discussion or are you just trying to tell me what you think of me?
If I can’t crit 3k vs premade tanks (no ****), then you tell me about how well engi does against them with his snipe. All those issues are the same ones I’ve been dealing with for years on both classes, no surprises.
And apples to apples on straight up burst and damage, whether your boc is hitting a guard or a 40% disrupt healer, it’ll still be more than engi. That’s what I’m talking about here. And whether I can do 8k stamps or not(I can’t, no ****, again), engis max stamped damage doesn’t even dream of what magus can do, pugs or not.

Also before we start slinging more insults, I’m not the master magus with 1068 int that got outperformed by a sub par green gear 860 int magus on one of the past scs. I also remember killing you a couple times on my engi. So This isn’t a whine saying engi is bad, it’s a comparison between classes.

Don’t whine to me about issues every class has when pugging to prove your point. And you should recruit a good SH to duo with to help with your loldisrupt problem. Or get a group and run assists so you’re not solo hero trying to take out healed guards as a pug magus. Or don’t complain, I’m sure you’ve seen these same words before
Again, blissfully ignorance. Magus does absolutely NOT outperform engineers on this server, especially after the disrupt changes. You killed me on your engineer? Woah congrats big man, I’m sure it must be so hard with me disrupting your rotation, oh wait.. take your advice sweetheart and learn how to assist your mdps armor debuffing targets for you. Never heard of you, but if you “outperformed me” based on your damage, yay for you lolz.

Crumbs

Post#85 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:03 am

Well by assisting the mdps is how I managed to outperform you as you attempted to drop heals solo. Also by timing boc to land as a finisher.

Look Renork, this isn’t balance proposal, so no I’m not trying to “justify some idiotic buff for my class”, this is a post about magus, and I have been saying since my very first post (and I did state that more than once), that magus’ disrupt problems are what DO potentially place it below engineer. (Engineers can solo dispatch healers with more ease)

What my point was is that magus deals more damage when it’s not disrupted, and not by a little bit more damage, by a lot more damage. Hence the disrupt changes

And sadly no, I wouldn’t be disrupting your rotation on my rifleman engineer, tanks and healers do that. You’re supposed to be dropping riflemen left and right as magus, and going for targets that don’t disrupt every 2 attacks is the smart way to go about it.
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Darks63

Post#86 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 am

Fallenkezef wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:43 am On WoW I loved Warlock, leveling up Magus as my cult/apothercary toon.

What is the best dot build and which renown abilities are reccommended?
You should really put cult/apoth on your main otherwise your culting will suffer.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Renork

Post#87 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Crumbs wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:03 am Well by assisting the mdps is how I managed to outperform you as you attempted to drop heals solo. Also by timing boc to land as a finisher.

Look Renork, this isn’t balance proposal, so no I’m not trying to “justify some idiotic buff for my class”, this is a post about magus, and I have been saying since my very first post (and I did state that more than once), that magus’ disrupt problems are what DO potentially place it below engineer. (Engineers can solo dispatch healers with more ease)

What my point was is that magus deals more damage when it’s not disrupted, and not by a little bit more damage, by a lot more damage. Hence the disrupt changes

And sadly no, I wouldn’t be disrupting your rotation on my rifleman engineer, tanks and healers do that. You’re supposed to be dropping riflemen left and right as magus, and going for targets that don’t disrupt every 2 attacks is the smart way to go about it.
Hilarious. You opened up a proposal to have blunderbuss and FG to be changed to corp damage to help with the “aoe damage”, but you didn’t mention anything about PS or IR, heck let’s give engineers a mixture of elemental and corporeal attacks and go away with the physical attacks shall we? You’re simply trying to take the good from one class and transfer it over to your class, which is why you sound so dumb. You want your cake (excellent single target dps AND excellent aoe dps) and eat it too, which is highly unlike to ever happen. Again, congratulations on killing me on your engineer, there’s plenty others that do so as well. It is MUCH much easier to burst someone down when your dots are not being disrupted and you can land a successful burst rotation :^) now go back to opening up dumb proposals.

Crumbs

Post#88 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Spoiler:
Renork wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:44 pm
Crumbs wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:03 am Well by assisting the mdps is how I managed to outperform you as you attempted to drop heals solo. Also by timing boc to land as a finisher.

Hilarious. You opened up a proposal to have blunderbuss and FG to be changed to corp damage to help with the “aoe damage”, but you didn’t mention anything about PS or IR, heck let’s give engineers a mixture of elemental and corporeal attacks and go away with the physical attacks shall we? You’re simply trying to take the good from one class and transfer it over to your class, which is why you sound so dumb. You want your cake (excellent single target dps AND excellent aoe dps) and eat it too, which is highly unlike to ever happen. Again, congratulations on killing me on your engineer, there’s plenty others that do so as well. It is MUCH much easier to burst someone down when your dots are not being disrupted and you can land a successful burst rotation :^) now go back to opening up dumb proposals.
ugh just **** up already you are deluded beyond repair

Everyone dial it back now - Torque
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Ads
Archibald

Post#89 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:18 am

I'll throw my two cents in here, but the thing you need to know is that your build should always be adjusted to the group composition (both small-scale and warband). Keep in mind that these builds are just based on personal opinion, and possibly wonky theory.

Simple havoc build: http://www.ror.builders/career/magus/s? ... ,5109,5084
Lasting chaos provides you with the sustainability to be constantly active, as well as providing your group with a nice utility buff during more stationary fights (keep lords, keep defenses). When I run this I stack enough Int to be soft capped (1050), which means I'm completely dependent on having a warband to hide behind. If I'm caught exposed I'm getting shredded.

Simple rift build: http://www.ror.builders/career/magus/s? ... ,5123,5102
Again, the way I run this is primarily with a warband. Slot full armor talismans and use The Winds Impervious set, because this is a build that forces you to expose yourself more than havoc. Rift is a wonderful tool for breaking up formations and disrupting the enemy. As for how and when to rift, I'll leave that for more experienced people to elaborate on.

Simple solo build: http://www.ror.builders/career/magus/s? ... ,5123,5095
This is what I run when I'm doing pug warbands without organization, or pug scenarios. You offer absolutely no utility to your group, in return for having enough survivability to actually fight back when slayers, white lions or bad witch hunters decide to go Rambo on you. Stack armor talismans, try to get 3-piece beastlord, as well as The Winds Impervious. I would like to give credit to PeterThePan for this build, because I'm pretty sure I stole this from him.

Nidwin

Post#90 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Akalukz wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:06 pmNerf Magus.
This thread is in true need of terribad Magus advice so let's all sing

When I find myself in times of gaming
Nidwin QQ appears on my screen
Thinking words of wisdom
Let it cleanse

And in my soul of darkness
She is floating right in front of me
Thinking words of wisdom
Let it cleanse

Let it cleanse, let it cleanse, let it cleanse, let it cleanse
Endless Pandemonium
Let it cleanse