Recent Topics

Ads

Magus damage question?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
peterthepan3

Re: Magus damage question?

Post#21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

@Renork

Oh no, I completely agree. Capitalising on opportune moments for farming RR/medals.

@Arteker

Haven't played Magus for a while, but did some solo roaming a week ago and its still viable. Got to remember that the brawler spec is less about dishing damage as it is taking it/absorbing heavy blows - wearing down enemy.

Ads
Foomy44

Post#22 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Sulorie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 am
roadkillrobin wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:02 am
Sulorie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:02 am
How you come to this conclusion?
Coz AM have the option to gets loads of striketrough from tactics.
There are 2 tactics, yes, but you have no unlimited tactic slots nor mastery points.
So? They still have the option to spec away one of their biggest weaknesses. The fact that is costs a tactic slot or 2 doesn't somehow negate their value, every class has access to good stuff that costs tactic slots. Try playing a dps shammy and then arguing that having the option to use disrupt strikethru tactics doesn't matter.

Back to topic, I don't know why everyone is complaining about Magus that spam firestorm in RvR, that's exactly what I'm hoping they do when I see them nearby in a zerg fight. It's good damage, permasnares tons of enemies, doesn't give enemies multiple chances to disrupt the damage like dots, allows the magus to stay mobile so he can constantly reposition to safety or keep up in the chase, and can easily be kept up 100% of the time with an ap tactic. I can almost always look around and find plenty of people contributing less than firestorm spamming magus in any RvR fight.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

peterthepan3

Post#23 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Wasn't so much a complaint as it was an observation.

MedV

Post#24 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm

While playing in Scs I tend to see "Disrupt, DIsrupt, Disrupt,Disrupt,Disrupt, Absorb, Absorb.......

When pandemonium gets disrupted it throws me off having to cast glean magic and then pandomium again. And thats afterrr I spend 2 Seconds getting my flamer up. Usually takes 5-6 GCDs to get my 3 main dots up. I just wish we had a ranged snare, I would give up our Mine and our 5ft snare for one.

Seems like the only way to play magus is to go rift bot and try to leech rp until high rr.
The King.

Foomy44

Post#25 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:00 pm

MedV wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm I just wish we had a ranged snare
Have you met my good friend Firestorm? Aside from the whole huge range aoe snare with possible 100% uptime, it's also good aoe damage that isn't affected by dot disrupt mechanics, and you still get access to the whole single target tree while spec'd into it, honestly seems like better aoe than the aoe tree to me.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

Renork

Post#26 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:29 pm

MedV wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm While playing in Scs I tend to see "Disrupt, DIsrupt, Disrupt,Disrupt,Disrupt, Absorb, Absorb.......

When pandemonium gets disrupted it throws me off having to cast glean magic and then pandomium again. And thats afterrr I spend 2 Seconds getting my flamer up. Usually takes 5-6 GCDs to get my 3 main dots up. I just wish we had a ranged snare, I would give up our Mine and our 5ft snare for one.

Seems like the only way to play magus is to go rift bot and try to leech rp until high rr.
Yes, disrupt does suck but uh 5s stagger is gold and I would never trade it for a crappy snare, let other classes handle that.

Sedok

Post#27 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Tesq wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 pm gets better with gear, go domni+beastlord and get those disrupt striektrough, it's more problematic have a 65 build, when it should be default 85" without spend a tactic...15 "+ are alredy enough as a potential tradeout vs bw/sorc/engi(snipe); 35"+ is a bit too much, hope in client controll which gona make it a bit better by standardide some ranges...whish at least. Still not holding a lot of ground when face someone that know how to cleanse.

It can't get much better, because my Magus is running with 1031 Intel and -6% chance to be disrupted. I only need two more Conq pieces and then I can get the extra -6% and a bit more Intel, but that shouldn't make a huge difference. Going after reduced chance to be disrupted also forces you to sacrifice magical crit on your gear, and since none of your crit tactics affect your bombing spells, you have to get it through renown (rr70 is the ideal by estimation). In the meta of Futile Strikes stacking, it really makes you hit like a slight breeze having such low crit.

lefze wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 am What if I told you the dots are only the tip of the iceberg? Especially the targeted dots are just a debuff and something to cover it up with, there is so much else in their kit that can put out pretty damn good AoE pressure that isn't even targeted. And with increased AoE cap and superior range it can be devastating.

I'd say you're talking out your ass. The Magus's bombing spells (Agonizing Torrent, Elemental Blast, and Tzeentch's Lash) suffer from Disrupt changes as well; in a warband environment, you have to also contend with HtL, and it makes every magical rdps frustrated, because you can't bring significant pressure on the enemy when they can easily disrupt 1/3 of your spells. You're also lying in your last sentence, you can not have Blue and Pink Horrors up and the same time; and you clearly do not use Blue Horror because if you did, you would know that it dies almost instantly in the environments where you need it the most. Flamer is your warband workhorse, primarily because it can stay alive the longest.

lefze wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 am As for the rest of it which you find so hilarious, I've played all the "decent" dps on both sides except slayer in actual bomb warbands, and I can tell you magus has damage almost on par with BW, but doesn't suffer from the hell of having 30ft effective range.

Yeah, you are bullshiting here. The range restriction on the Blue Horror is 30ft, Warpfire's range is 30ft, and Tzeentch's Lash is a 30ft cone.
Live: Karak-Azgal = Sedok, Golgaroth, Sakneth / Karak-Norn = Xnohrx, Alfriger, Volgarn / Vaul's Anvil = Alfriger, Volgarn, Dolgarn

RoR: Volgarn, Golgarn, Alfriger, Kelthazuul, Sedok

lefze
Suspended

Post#28 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Sedok wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Tesq wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:20 pm gets better with gear, go domni+beastlord and get those disrupt striektrough, it's more problematic have a 65 build, when it should be default 85" without spend a tactic...15 "+ are alredy enough as a potential tradeout vs bw/sorc/engi(snipe); 35"+ is a bit too much, hope in client controll which gona make it a bit better by standardide some ranges...whish at least. Still not holding a lot of ground when face someone that know how to cleanse.

It can't get much better, because my Magus is running with 1031 Intel and -6% chance to be disrupted. I only need two more Conq pieces and then I can get the extra -6% and a bit more Intel, but that shouldn't make a huge difference. Going after reduced chance to be disrupted also forces you to sacrifice magical crit on your gear, and since none of your crit tactics affect your bombing spells, you have to get it through renown (rr70 is the ideal by estimation). In the meta of Futile Strikes stacking, it really makes you hit like a slight breeze having such low crit.

lefze wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 am What if I told you the dots are only the tip of the iceberg? Especially the targeted dots are just a debuff and something to cover it up with, there is so much else in their kit that can put out pretty damn good AoE pressure that isn't even targeted. And with increased AoE cap and superior range it can be devastating.

I'd say you're talking out your ass. The Magus's bombing spells (Agonizing Torrent, Elemental Blast, and Tzeentch's Lash) suffer from Disrupt changes as well; in a warband environment, you have to also contend with HtL, and it makes every magical rdps frustrated, because you can't bring significant pressure on the enemy when they can easily disrupt 1/3 of your spells. You're also lying in your last sentence, you can not have Blue and Pink Horrors up and the same time; and you clearly do not use Blue Horror because if you did, you would know that it dies almost instantly in the environments where you need it the most. Flamer is your warband workhorse, primarily because it can stay alive the longest.

lefze wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 am As for the rest of it which you find so hilarious, I've played all the "decent" dps on both sides except slayer in actual bomb warbands, and I can tell you magus has damage almost on par with BW, but doesn't suffer from the hell of having 30ft effective range.

Yeah, you are bullshiting here. The range restriction on the Blue Horror is 30ft, Warpfire's range is 30ft, and Tzeentch's Lash is a 30ft cone.
You realize the disrupt changes affect ALL magic dps? They are still king of the hill though. Man, blue horror increases AoE radius, which equates to range on cones. Just btw. But you are completely right about flamer being what you should use most of the time, but switching to blue horror at the right time gives amazing results.

You are right about one thing in the last sentence, and that is warpfire being 30ft. It is not affected by blue horror radius increase, neither is Agonizing Torrent. Infernal Blast, Lash, and any other AoE spell is, however.

Should also add that the main dots still hit like crap even with the flamer buffs, Infernal Blast however is absolutely amazing if you spend a tactic slot for it.
Rip Phalanx

Ads
Renork

Post#29 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't think it's necessary to attempt to reason with someone who thinks "dots are the tip of the iceberg", magus damage is "on par with the BW " or that thinks the sw lolinitiative debuff + proc was completely balanced (lel, so balanced that it was nerfed). I do agree that stacking disrupt strikethrough means you have to give up stuff. Just ignore Lefze :^)

lefze
Suspended

Post#30 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Renork wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:57 pm

I don't think it's necessary to attempt to reason with someone who thinks "dots are the tip of the iceberg", magus damage is "on par with the BW " or that thinks the sw lolinitiative debuff + proc was completely balanced (lel, so balanced that it was nerfed). I do agree that stacking disrupt strikethrough means you have to give up stuff. Just ignore Lefze :^)
Oh well, the ini debuff keeps coming up even after solid math has been provided several times, no shock there. How you can think the two changing dots are the brunt of damage magus can dish out is completely beyond me though, it's actually worse than not being able to simply add 35 to your ini, and do 3500/the number you got.
Rip Phalanx