Recent Topics

Ads

[SM] getting started

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Aebel

[SM] getting started

Post#1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm looking to start a SM to run as a tank, I'm just wondering if you can run full tank with a 2h? I know of bubble spec, but I'm not sure if a shield is required or anything

Ads
Tolfhic

Re: [SM] getting started

Post#2 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 pm

It will be harder to run 2H SM as a tank until rank 40, when you get WoDS. Most people will probably recommend Shield over 2H until then if you are going defensive because you can still use Hold the Line from an early level. WoDS will be the 2H replacement for HtL, albeit only for the benefit of yourself, but that's a rank 40 ability.
<As If> & <Last Night in Sweden>
Mains: Chariot SM (7X), Tolfhic WH (Badlands: 94)
Alts: Dokdisrespect DoK, Mspe WP, Bleeped Chosen
He's a WH fleeing from fights with this rotation; Flee, AP pot then stealth

Martok

Post#3 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Aebel wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pmI'm looking to start a SM to run as a tank, I'm just wondering if you can run full tank with a 2h? I know of bubble spec, but I'm not sure if a shield is required or anything.

You can't run what I would call full tank going 2H, as there are a number of trade-offs which must be made when trying to balance your defensive stats with your damage output. However that is one reason I love the class, it never ceases to be a challenge to strike that perfect balance.

Heh...

2H SM is fun, and although I agree with what Tolfhic said about WODS you can spec 2H prior to rank 40. You won't be as effective, of course, but finding a group to run with always helps. Spec in Khaine until you get Eather Dance then stop; don't worry about taking the M4 Khaine ability because you will never get to use it. Spec in Hoeth to augment your defense and mix and match the various gear for Strength boost. Good luck.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Tesq

Post#4 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Martok wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:23 pm
Aebel wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pmI'm looking to start a SM to run as a tank, I'm just wondering if you can run full tank with a 2h? I know of bubble spec, but I'm not sure if a shield is required or anything.

You can't run what I would call full tank going 2H, as there are a number of trade-offs which must be made when trying to balance your defensive stats with your damage output. However that is one reason I love the class, it never ceases to be a challenge to strike that perfect balance.

Heh...

2H SM is fun, and although I agree with what Tolfhic said about WODS you can spec 2H prior to rank 40. You won't be as effective, of course, but finding a group to run with always helps. Spec in Khaine until you get Eather Dance then stop; don't worry about taking the M4 Khaine ability because you will never get to use it. Spec in Hoeth to augment your defense and mix and match the various gear for Strength boost. Good luck.
the only thing you need to run as def tank in 2h is vaul buffer and stack avoidance +wosd(rank40), altough since KD was moved up that build lost sense since you no longer have access to KD while kepping 1 of the other 13pt skill so a def tank bringing no at least KD is wasted.

Aebel

Post#5 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Is there a more "utility tank" 2h build that's effective rather than going full out tank then? I've looked at BG 2h as well and I see all the debuffs they dish out as a form of utility and I look at SM and see they can buff their allies in a similar utility fashion. Of course I'm looking at all of this on paper and not in actual use so comparing the two might not really be possible

CytheX

Post#6 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 pm

If u want an utility tank 2h build u must take WW plus the kd, I strongly advice u to take protection of hoet over vaul buffer for a better stance management. Too bad ur nature blade will suffer a lot and other 2 blade enchantment are not worth enough.

anarchypark

Post#7 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:46 am

you can go 2h tanky tank at 40.
b4 that you can do both SnB and 2h for testing.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=23546&p=264755#p264755

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=21733&p=240426#p240426

some info are outdated, but it'll help beginners.
SM is little bit selfish compared with other 2 tanks.

guard, challenge, eat tons of damage and still alive, stay at front.
that's tank. 2h SM can do this.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)