Recent Topics

Ads

What’s the point?

Let's talk about... everything else
dtjror

What’s the point?

Post#1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 pm

This is not meant to be a troll post or even necessarily a criticism of the project, but rather an honest inquiry into people’s motivations and maybe an opportunity to discover things I have missed or look at things from a fresh perspective.

Basically, I have gotten one toon to 40/42, and 3 other toons (each is a different archetype/role) to around 16/24, but I’m finding little desire to continue now. Personally, I attribute this mainly to a few factors:

1. EVERYTHING in this game revolves around PvP. There is no PvE content of any real worth, and with the possible expection of Beastlord and T4 epics, there isn’t any incentive to do any PvE content because everything you really need/want comes from PvP anyway. Even with Gunbad - what’s the point? Are you going to get anything equivalent to end-game PvP?

2. PvP is a grind. Once you are out of T1, it’s basically the same thing for 20+ levels and renown ranks. You buy gear with tokens (mostly) or or just cash from vendors once you reach appropriate rank/reknown. Only once you are eligible for the end-game stuff (genesis, subjugator, and conquerer) is there a possibility of a direct reward, and the grind for that is very discouraging.

3. PvP play in general is boring/undynamic because (with the exception of scenarios) it’s basically whoever has the bigger zerg wins. Small-scale and 1v1 fights can be horribly lop-sided because the game isn’t balanced that way.

So, with the above being said, I’m curious as to what keeps people motivated to play or what things you think I might consider to try restoring my motivation.

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: What’s the point?

Post#2 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:40 am

1. There's Onslaught PQs recently released that have proven very popular with people: you can find several WBs at any given time doing them. Onslaught is BIS gear for several classes. Future dungeons are being worked on right this minute, and some are closer than you think.

2. That's sorta how MMOs work.

3. That's a player issue. Don't like the zerg? Stop rolling with open WBs, find a good group/organised WB to roll with, play with likeminded people who prefer PvP to zerging everything.

Darks63

Post#3 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:09 am

Well if you like scs it sounds like your more 6man minded. You might want to look into guilds that like to run 6mans/12mans.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Aebel

Post#4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:04 am

I haven't been playing RoR for very long but I am a veteran to the mmo scene, I feel like at the point you're at you either choose to play the hell out of your current main, mastering it, or if you dont like playing it pick another class to do the same with

adamthelc

Post#5 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 am

If you dont like the PvP here there isnt a whole lot of reason to play. That's something you have to work out on your own.

The one point I will give you is that open world PvP does seem to be just about the larger numbers, more so than the live version.

I think that's a concious decision with some logic to it, but it might be over done. Numbers SHOULD matter, but it shouldn't be all that matters.

It's also too easy to run away. Running around trying to find a fight only to have everyone run away until they finally outnumber you gets old pretty quick. It's kind of realistic, but this is a game.

Foomy44

Post#6 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 am

If you don't enjoy the gameplay don't play IMO, why waste time on something you don't find fun. IMO a grind in any form is never going to be enough to save the game if I don't enjoy the actual gameplay. This game has a pretty huge PvP focus, it's the reason most people that played on live come back, so if PvP isn't your thing there's about a bajillion MMOs out there that will help you get your PvE fix. If you find you don't want to play as soon as you get a character leveled or close to geared like your 40/42 then you might find the gear/level grind more enjoyable than the actual gameplay or endgame content so I guess keep trying out new MMOs when you get bored of alts so you can keep going through that process if that's what brings you enjoyment.

If you gave an example of an MMO with an endgame you loved that would be pretty helpful in understanding what you are hoping to get out of this that it seems to be lacking for you. And if the answer is tons of PvE I kinda wonder how you ended up here in the first place considering how this game is advertised in most places.
Destro: Chompy, ShroomStew, TrollBlood, DoomBeast, DoomDoctor, DoomDisk, Doomshadow, FunkFoot, Bloodwell
Order: Stormwall, Mistfall, CatNap, BoomRune, Bangman

Fey

Post#7 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:37 am

You have to find people you want to play with.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

blackwatch1508

Post#8 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:56 am

1: this game is still in alpha stage. I think that should sum it all up, but if you don't know what that means. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar ... life_cycle.
2. Time and skill/understanding of play are the basis of an mmo. It rewards effort.
3. Join a guild. I've played many times with my alliance against the Zerg. Tactics, good leadership, and elan make the renown points rain.

Ads
Fallenkezef

Post#9 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:20 am

There are literaly hundreds of mmos with a pve focus. RoR isn't one of those mmos.

If you enjoy riding harley's don't drive a porsche.
Alea iacta est

Sedok

Post#10 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:09 am

Fey wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:37 am You have to find people you want to play with.

On a server with a decreasing population, that's easier said than done.
Live: Karak-Azgal = Sedok, Golgaroth, Sakneth / Karak-Norn = Xnohrx, Alfriger, Volgarn / Vaul's Anvil = Alfriger, Volgarn, Dolgarn

RoR: Volgarn, Golgarn, Alfriger, Kelthazuul, Sedok