Recent Topics

Ads

Donations : Some clarifications

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Donations : Some clarifications

Post#1 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm

I was recently informed that some thought they were making "unofficial" donations for cheeses, gold, or whatever.

That one thing is very clear.

Return of Reckoning can not accept financial support from players. We do not have the right to make profits (IP related).

The only source of income to support this project is the use of advertising on this site and on the wiki.

There is no donation system: neither official nor unofficial. There will not be any. Never.

I invite all those who have been deceived into thinking to help ask for an immediate refund of the sums they have committed to those who have collected their alleged donation.

In addition, I invite the whole community who wants to help us to "finance" this project, to deactivate their adblocker and to come to the news daily on the forum.

Thanking you and wishing you a beautiful day."

Ads
mynie

Re: Donations : Some clarifications

Post#2 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:06 pm

I completely understand the fact that you don't want to make profit from this private server..
However how is putting ads on the website less of a problem than accepting donations ?
Seems as bad if not worse to me, from a legal point of view.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#3 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:12 pm

From a legal point of view, we offer an advertising space to google and we are compensated in return for the results. There is nothing relative to Electronic Arts, nor to Games Workshop and in no case any profit relating to the use of any intellectual property.

Of course we could open/create another project, selling Posters, Mugs and T-Shirts with i don't know what on it but well... thats not planned and thats not the point :).

Actually project is "almost" self-sufficient (80%).

Darosh
Banned

Post#4 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Yaliskah wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:12 pm From a legal point of view, we offer an advertising space to google and we are compensated in return for the results. There is nothing relative to Electronic Arts, nor to Games Workshop and in no case any profit relating to the use of any intellectual property.
Considering the use of said intellectual property is ultimately what makes this 'advertising space' relevant (= generates traffic), I don't think it is as much of a safe bet as it is being considered to be (i.e.: one could argue that this 'advertising' space wouldn't be [as] profitable if it weren't for the backend based on EA/GW's IP and the service linked to it) ~ but that's just a guess, I am not a lawyer.

Out of curiosity, did you folks actually consult or maintain a legal team of sorts?

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#5 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Darosh wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:33 pm
Yaliskah wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:12 pm From a legal point of view, we offer an advertising space to google and we are compensated in return for the results. There is nothing relative to Electronic Arts, nor to Games Workshop and in no case any profit relating to the use of any intellectual property.
Considering the use of said intellectual property is ultimately what makes this 'advertising space' relevant (= generates traffic), I don't think it is as much of a safe bet as it is being considered to be (i.e.: one could argue that this 'advertising' space wouldn't be [as] profitable if it weren't for the backend based on EA/GW's IP and the service linked to it) ~ but that's just a guess, I am not a lawyer.

Out of curiosity, did you folks actually consult or maintain a legal team of sorts?
Nope. Just using common sense and moral honesty :)

Tesq

Post#6 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Of course we could open/create another project, selling Posters, Mugs and T-Shirts with i don't know what on it but well... thats not planned and thats not the point :).

Actually project is "almost" self-sufficient (80%).
How much F5 (refresh) this monkey of your's need to press x month to fill that 20% with adds?

😀drop a number of click and you will shall be done empheraaa
Last edited by Tesq on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Haven't to answer this Tesq, and i don't ask for. :).
A normal usage is required nothing else.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/23921?hl=en

Darosh
Banned

Post#8 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Yaliskah wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm Nope. Just using common sense and moral honesty :)
You assume that all courts apply the same definition of 'common sense' and 'honesty'. I'd consult some legal folk about the whole thing regardless. It's not just a matter of preserving the server and the project but also your livelihood, should it ever come to legal issues and the gremlins from hell acting up because they smelled money...

Ads