Point of Career levels?

Let's talk about... everything else
Needabeer

Point of Career levels?

Post#1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:09 pm

As the subject suggests. What is the point of career levels? It is an unnecessary grind and takes ages on some classes. If you already have a 40 I see no point in going up the tiers. The xp for doing RvR is also ridiculously low. Unfortunately I missed out on the xp event as well which doesn't help. Any thoughts on reducing xp required to level?

Ads
M0rw47h

Re: Point of Career levels?

Post#2 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 pm

I did no life run and took me less than 24h to 15->40 with triple XP event by playing PQs. However, adding more XP to RvR could be good idea, as my Knight-chan was geared as fast as she hit 35 (full Anni) with leftover stuff, then playing next 5 level for no reward (no Conq drops below 40) was painful.

Needabeer

Post#3 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm only a casual player due to real life commitments so takes about 3 weeks to level a toon by doing PQ's. I dont play this game to pve though......

Glorian

Post#4 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Needabeer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:17 pm I'm only a casual player due to real life commitments so takes about 3 weeks to level a toon by doing PQ's. I dont play this game to pve though......
Then get to lvl 16 and join a Warband in unified T2-T4.
Bolster will give you a wagonload of Wounds and Resists.

If Rumba/Tumba is on stick to the leader and he will show you the purple Rain.

When you are in an Off Hour, kill stuff for an hour in a PQ.
Or when you leave lvl 16+, find a group and run the Sewers.

Full low level Set and Champion Rats Down there. Well they walk upright, but still are Champion Rats.
So once you finish Sewer after an hour you have made 2 Levels.

roadkillrobin

Post#5 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:55 pm

It's a MMORPG, Career and lvl progression is the foundation of everything in the game.

Ramasee

Post#6 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:00 pm

The point is to have progression, make you feel rewarded for the time you spend. For career ranks, this is the addition of new abilities and tactics. This also serves as a tutorial allowing you (in theory) to understand abilities and their use(s) before a new one is introduced.

Leveling a class is important.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Heya do you really think that 3 weeks on a casual playstyle is too long to level up a character one might play for years to come? I remember it took me equally long in gw2, but much longer on ye olde world of warcraft. These are games that need to generate money though. So, do you think leveling takes too long in WAR?

catholicism198

Post#8 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:20 pm

saupreusse wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:03 pm Heya do you really think that 3 weeks on a casual playstyle is too long to level up a character one might play for years to come? I remember it took me equally long in gw2, but much longer on ye olde world of warcraft. These are games that need to generate money though. So, do you think leveling takes too long in WAR?
Thing is, those games all have (active) mid-level content for you to do and places to explore...the journey is just as fun, and as important as the end*, but here all the mid-level content (t2-t3) was merged with t4, so it's essentially just a long painful grind to 40.
I'm not saying they should go the instant 40 route, that's a terrible idea, as leveling is necessary to learn the class mechanics and it's ups and downs, but it shouldn't be as painful or take as long as it does right now- it was a smooth transition when t2-t3 were active. Fun times.

*referring to vanilla games only as a lot of them have merged content now and offer instant level X characters for cash

Ads
Nefarian78

Post#9 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm

saupreusse wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:03 pm Heya do you really think that 3 weeks on a casual playstyle is too long to level up a character one might play for years to come? I remember it took me equally long in gw2, but much longer on ye olde world of warcraft. These are games that need to generate money though. So, do you think leveling takes too long in WAR?
3 weeks to reach cap in vanilla/pre-cataclysm WoW? Wat.
I remember getting to 60 in vanilla in about 5 or 6 days of /played (144hrs) the first time i ever logged in WoW. With a Warrior, the weakest class in leveling. Took me 4 (96hrs) days in Nostalrius, with a warrior again. There are 504hrs in 3 weeks.

Besides, the time required to get a character to max level isn't even the problem. The problem is how you spend that time.
Currently, the only way to level up is by doing RvR or by grinding mobs. Scs are almost non-existant, and you're lucky if you get 3% xp completing a quest including the mobs killed to complete it.

The real issue, in my opinion, is the lack of activity during the leveling phase. Grinding mobs for 15hrs isn't an active action. Neither is following the pug WB you joined in RvR. You can do it a couple of hours, you can't do it for the ENTIRE leveling phase.
At some point you just enter an "assembly line mode" of "do this, do that, move here, attack here, repeat". There aren't many things in existance more boring than an assembly line, and if a game starts to feel that way...then there are problems.

There has to be some alternatives to grinding or brain-afk rvr and more imporantly, breaks between each activity. Like questing and Scenarios, or PQs.

Daily bonuses for PQ completion (one for each difficulty), keep capture/zone capture and scenario win could be a great start to make leveling less like "One more hour and i'm jumping out the window" and more like "i'm falling asleep, but i'm not going insane, at least"
They done stole my character's names. Can't have **** in RoR.

saupreusse
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:11 pm

Spoiler:
Nefarian78 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm
3 weeks to reach cap in vanilla/pre-cataclysm WoW? Wat.
I remember getting to 60 in vanilla in about 5 or 6 days of /played (144hrs) the first time i ever logged in WoW. With a Warrior, the weakest class in leveling. Took me 4 (96hrs) days in Nostalrius, with a warrior again. There are 504hrs in 3 weeks.

Besides, the time required to get a character to max level isn't even the problem. The problem is how you spend that time.
Currently, the only way to level up is by doing RvR or by grinding mobs. Scs are almost non-existant, and you're lucky if you get 3% xp completing a quest including the mobs killed to complete it.

The real issue, in my opinion, is the lack of activity during the leveling phase. Grinding mobs for 15hrs isn't an active action. Neither is following the pug WB you joined in RvR. You can do it a couple of hours, you can't do it for the ENTIRE leveling phase.
At some point you just enter an "assembly line mode" of "do this, do that, move here, attack here, repeat". There aren't many things in existance more boring than an assembly line, and if a game starts to feel that way...then there are problems.

There has to be some alternatives to grinding or brain-afk rvr and more imporantly, breaks between each activity. Like questing and Scenarios, or PQs.

Daily bonuses for PQ completion (one for each difficulty), keep capture/zone capture and scenario win could be a great start to make leveling less like "One more hour and i'm jumping out the window" and more like "i'm falling asleep, but i'm not going insane, at least"
Gotcha, sadly its super hard to cache all the missing content and I dont believe putting in dailies will do the trick here, but it might be a start - although I dont know if we are even able to implement daily quests atm without getting someone to do the coding for it. On top of that, most long time players simply have seen everything already so its double difficult to make leveling feel less annoying to them.