Recent Topics

Ads

Didn't any absorbing skills stack with armor, resist or any decreasing dmg buff, equipment (mitigation)?

Let's talk about... everything else
kam19080

Didn't any absorbing skills stack with armor, resist or any decreasing dmg buff, equipment (mitigation)?

Post#1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am

Isn't any bubbles (absording skills) stack with the mitigation?

as u can see this photo, 3XX dmg was absorbed each time and the mitigation is almost 9X-14X

and the 2nd photo, u can see that the mitigation without absorbing skill is 33X-37X

So, it shows that the absorbing skill haven't stack with the mitigation, right?

Should anyone give me an answer?

Thankyou very much!

Ads
Azarael

Re: Didn't any absorbing skills stack with armor, resist or any decreasing dmg buff, equipment (mitigation)?

Post#2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:52 am

Absorbs are applied after the offensive stat is added, but before any other part of the damage calculation, including armor and resistance. This makes them very effective against significant damage bonuses on magical attacks (such as from BW and Sorc critical damage bonus modifiers) where the resistance mitigation is likely to be low because of debuffs, and the bonus damage mod is extremely high. They are also more useful if you're heavily armor debuffed. However, the more damage is dissipated by detaunt, Challenge, Crippling Strikes, outgoing damage debuffs on the target, incoming damage reduction on you, armor, resistance, etc, the worse shields become, to the point where the amount of actual damage the shield saves can be one tenth of the shield's actual value. Something like Phantom's Blade saves you about 100 actual damage per proc, for example, in most cases.

kam19080

Re: Didn't any absorbing skills stack with armor, resist or any decreasing dmg buff, equipment (mitigation)?

Post#3 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:02 am

Azarael wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:52 am Absorbs are applied after the offensive stat is added, but before any other part of the damage calculation, including armor and resistance. This makes them very effective against significant damage bonuses on magical attacks (such as from BW and Sorc critical damage bonus modifiers) where the resistance mitigation is likely to be low because of debuffs, and the bonus damage mod is extremely high. They are also more useful if you're heavily armor debuffed. However, the more damage is dissipated by detaunt, Challenge, Crippling Strikes, outgoing damage debuffs on the target, incoming damage reduction on you, armor, resistance, etc, the worse shields become, to the point where the amount of actual damage the shield saves can be one tenth of the shield's actual value. Something like Phantom's Blade saves you about 100 actual damage per proc, for example, in most cases.
Thankyou very much of your answer.

So that, absorbing skill is more effective when its applied on lower mitigation classes (DPS, healers than tanks) ?

Azarael

Post#4 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 am

Correct, and also more effective the fewer damage reductions are in play at the time. The effect of a shield is exactly the same, for example, whether the target is detaunting or not.

Gangan

Post#5 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:10 am

As far as I understood it is Defend (parry,block,etc.) -> absorb -> mitigate
Azarael wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:52 am (...)
They are also more useful if you're heavily armor debuffed. However, the more damage is dissipated (...) the worse shields become, to the point where the amount of actual damage the shield saves can be one tenth of the shield's actual value.(...)
I'm not sure if I get this right. If you have a high mitigation your shield absorbs "less" because the dmg it held back would have been heavily reduced anyway ?

And what about crits? I read several times in /ad and in some threads here, that an absorbed skill can't crit. I however have made some testing and got critted while beeing shielded. The vanilla dmg would have been absorb, but due to the crit some came through.
Pächter des Wahnsinns
Gangan - SH 75 .... Blumnmoscha - BO 63
Scophis - Zealot 73 .... Drengur - WP 64
Iznogoud - Sham 50+ .... Bixo - Engie 50+
Apogemoth - Magus 40+ .... Loarelle - AM 65
originating from Drakenwald

Azarael

Post#6 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 am

I'm not sure if I get this right. If you have a high mitigation your shield absorbs "less" because the dmg it held back would have been heavily reduced anyway ?
Correct.
And what about crits? I read several times in /ad and in some threads here, that an absorbed skill can't crit. I however have made some testing and got critted while beeing shielded. The vanilla dmg would have been absorb, but due to the crit some came through.
It works more like this:

100 damage comes in from a class with double crit damage
Shield is up, absorbing 75 damage.

Now we have 25 damage (75 absorbed)
Crit mult now applies to the 25 damage, so the final result is 50 damage (75 absorbed)

Tesq

Post#7 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:41 am

Working pre crits and since a lot of classes have tactics which increase crit dmg the absorbs are best to counter burst before those multiicators enter in action, for exemple if the dmg became zero any bonus from crits is lost and unless aza correct me it should also stack with toughness pre crits.
Last edited by Tesq on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azarael

Post#8 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:50 am

Tesq is correct.

Ads
Gangan

Post#9 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Great 😁 thanks for clearing this up ^^
Pächter des Wahnsinns
Gangan - SH 75 .... Blumnmoscha - BO 63
Scophis - Zealot 73 .... Drengur - WP 64
Iznogoud - Sham 50+ .... Bixo - Engie 50+
Apogemoth - Magus 40+ .... Loarelle - AM 65
originating from Drakenwald

Ramasee

Post#10 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

You can see all this in action plugging in various stats in the bubble calculator on this topic's spreadhseet:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=27314