Recent Topics

Ads

[Tanks] Tactic to make Throwing Axe scale with str instead of ballistic.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Ototo

Re: [Tanks] Tactic to make Throwing Axe scale with str instead of ballistic.

Post#11 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:51 am

I kind of agree that all, if not most, of the skills of a class should scale with the same base stat, unless that it can cause unbalance due to procs like WE/WH ranged snare, which is ballistic based to give the other players a chance to escape cause there are decent chances to dodge a ranged attack dealt with such a low ballistic skill. Being high-risk/high-reward classes they are supposed to have to pay for it, and that skill is IMO the best example of great balance.

I was in the other side of that as engi in live, and was plainly painful to have a ballistic set for sniper tree, and a strength set for tinkerer tree. Also the selection of which skills should scale with what stat looked like pretty much random. Burgman's Beer was willpower based (¿?) in a class with literally zero use for that stat, and Electromagnet was strght based, while the morale 4 Fling Explosives scaled with ballistic. All those 3 skills are in the same Specialization Path.

That was the reason why there were so few engis in T4 in live, and while skill-by-skill it may had sense, lore-wise, that a healing beer used your willpower as base stat, or a Rod that you place as hard as possible in the earth be strength based, from the game perspective was a mess, and pretty much made the class a 2 choices: pick ballistic skill and the associated path skills, or go strength and do the same.
Spoiler:

Ads
sullemunk
Addon Developer

Post#12 » Wed May 01, 2019 8:53 am

Tanks throwing axe gains a large damage boost vs low hp enemies
Image Ethreal   Image Corque   Image Urgiz   Image Loxley   Image Chilli   Image Maduza

Telen
Suspended

Post#13 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 am

All healer abilities should scale from willpower or intel too. No more disrupt disrupt disrupt on cc/drain etc

peterthepan3

Post#14 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:28 am

I can't envision a scenario where I would ever equip a tactic that affects an ability that amounts to less than 0.5% of your total DPS; throw axe is okay as it is, it can get you some surprising KBs when the stars align - and that is totally fine.

Zxul

Post#15 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 pm

sullemunk wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:53 am Tanks throwing axe gains a large damage boost vs low hp enemies
Absolutely speaking, true of cause compared to current 20 dmg per hit.

Practically speaking however, Throwing Axe as a base does 60% of regular tank spammable, does physical dmg, doesn't scales with trees, and doesn't benefits from tank abilities which buff dmg (resist debuff aura, armor debuff, Skull Thumper), besides Taunt, in any situation when tank will actually use it over melee abilities. On my mixed build chosen for example, even with more ws then usual builds, I expect it with this tactic to hit after mitigation for 90-120 on clothies, less on medium+.

Then when you look at actual classes, rp will laugh at it, vs engi I will very much prefer to channel HTL while running to him (-45% dmg over 100 sh hits, or even less since engi with buff and racial armor tactic is medium armor), slayer if axe is str based will parry most of axes (and will love the Reposte dmg on me), bw if solo dies unless I'm afk as it is, and will laugh at it when with healer+guard, wh if in ranged range from me and isn't hidden/rehidden is drunk, am will again laugh, and sw again I will very much prefer channeling HTL while running to him to set the Quake/snare.

The tactic isn't for 1v1 vs low hp/clothies- its for mass rvr when all too often as a tank I can't do much beyond being HTL bot during standoff, or pretty much desperately try to get into range of something during push.
peterthepan3 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:28 am I can't envision a scenario where I would ever equip a tactic that affects an ability that amounts to less than 0.5% of your total DPS; throw axe is okay as it is, it can get you some surprising KBs when the stars align - and that is totally fine.
Peter obviously this tactic isn't for tank in 6man in sc. However, what is your tank's dmg output during ranged standoff in mass rvr for example, and which % of it would be 100 dmg per GCD?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Sulorie

Post#16 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:33 pm

Telen wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:13 am All healer abilities should scale from willpower or intel too. No more disrupt disrupt disrupt on cc/drain etc
Mentioned this in the past, there is no counter-argument.
Dying is no option.

10SCN

Post#17 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Just slap it on to Focused Offense. Kills two birds with one stone. :)

zgolec

Post#18 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Zxul wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 pm Peter obviously this tactic isn't for tank in 6man in sc. However, what is your tank's dmg output during ranged standoff in mass rvr for example, and which % of it would be 100 dmg per GCD?
You srsly want to stand in mass rvr and throw axes instead of doin your damn job and htl/guard/buff/etc???

#topkek
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

Ads
tazdingo

Post#19 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:21 pm

zgolec wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:19 pm
Zxul wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 pm Peter obviously this tactic isn't for tank in 6man in sc. However, what is your tank's dmg output during ranged standoff in mass rvr for example, and which % of it would be 100 dmg per GCD?
You srsly want to stand in mass rvr and throw axes instead of doin your damn job and htl/guard/buff/etc???

#topkek
you don't tell me what to do

Zxul

Post#20 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 pm

zgolec wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:19 pm

#topkek
Well lets see now.

First, what Tazdingo said.

Second, plz explain how throwing axes around prevents me from using guard, and from having auras on. Then explain why would I need to htl during destro push when we are inside their lines, especially when we are finishing survivors. And be fast about it, I'm waiting.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh