Recent Topics

Ads

Fort perverse incentives

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
zachary

Fort perverse incentives

Post#1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Last night's fort (Stonewatch) looked good for destro going in but endedup poorly for them. I'm told this is because there are many x-realmers who look at who they think will win and switch sides to the winning side, with some bias toward defence because it's easier to defend than attack. I was puzzled at this since the rewards for a losing attacker and a winning defender are the same (destro was attacking) but was told it was because winner get bag rolls.

To discourage such behavior, I'd like to propose either splitting the bag rolls by faction, giving each faction their own set of bag rolls, or doing away with the bag-roll-bonus for winning in order to put everyone on a level playing field as far as bag-reward chances go. I think this meshes well with the allow-everyone-in fort change.
Xand*r*nius is still trying to Learn To Play

Ads
Alucard2010

Re: Fort perverse incentives

Post#2 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:48 pm

I like this idea.

Grock

Post#3 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:14 pm

I was on a fort attack yesterday, after completely destroying the defenders on the first stage in ~15 minutes or so, we got stuck on poison cauldron lord room and couldn't push.

After some time players started "leaving" our WB, even the WB leader at one point, people in /1 and /2 started whining about x-realming.

The thing is - when the fort started populations were roughly 140/100. When people started whining about x-realm it was ~ 145/105, and at the end of the fort it was sometihng like 150/108

So was that really an "x-realm" or was it people just crashing in a laggy 250-people fight?

Chance on getting the bag is miniscule in general, and even lower if you join late. If you needed a bag on another character wouldn't it be a better idea to join the fort with that char from the start?

Anyway my point is there's no good talking about "xrealming" without any actual proof. People been complaining about it for years without bringing any proof, unable to understand that players just crash, get tired or just log off because its late.

As for shared bag roll - it would be okay when City Sieges are out, but right now bag roll is pretty much the only incentive to do anything at all in a fort.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

zachary

Post#4 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:54 pm

> there's no good talking about "xrealming" without any actual proof. People been complaining about it for years without bringing any proof, unable to understand that players just crash, get tired or just log off because its late.

And what would constitute proof? It seems quite difficult to get hard numbers. Only devs/gms can tell how many people x-realm in a fort - and only if they bother to have it logged.

>right now bag roll is pretty much the only incentive to do anything at all in a fort.

Except it's also a _disincentive_ if you know you're going to lose. Why bother trying, just hang out at spawn and take your 4 medals - no chance of a bag anyway.
Xand*r*nius is still trying to Learn To Play