Recent Topics

Ads

GW is bringing back the Old World/Warhammer fantasy

Talk about things which are not related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Lithenir

Re: GW is bringing back the Old World/Warhammer fantasy

Post#11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 am

Hargrim wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 am
wpc56 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:47 am Games Workshop finally figured out their age of sigmar is nothing but dumpster fire? It's probably another business lead test and learn to see if they can recuperate some older fantasy players... but how is that going to work from lore perspective? Oh wait, this is an alternate universe?

AoS is earning them ton of cash, so I guess it's not an issue. They probably want to target different audience with this product. As for "how" - well, there are retcons, there are different timelines, there are status quo timelines. Major (like Storm of Chaos) or minor retcons happened every game edition (like Age of Reckoning MMO timeline). As for status quo - well, this is what this game was in for almost as long as I am following it, so since the 1990s to it's death in 2015.
Well they don't need alternating timelines, as they wrote that the old world will be what Horus Heresy is for WH 40k. I followed Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy since I was in school back in the 1990s and I just love it. At the time they made this AoS crap I got pretty mad. I think it was two years ago at the Boardgame fair "Spiel" in Essen I went to the Games Workshop stand and talked with him about it. Yes they are making a buttload of money with it and he told me they simply had to do it because people got stuck with their armies, they had no more reasons to spend much money on figures. So they had to come up with something that changes everything so people start spending money again.

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Post#12 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am

Lithenir wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 am Well they don't need alternating timelines, as they wrote that the old world will be what Horus Heresy is for WH 40k. I followed Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy since I was in school back in the 1990s and I just love it. At the time they made this AoS crap I got pretty mad. I think it was two years ago at the Boardgame fair "Spiel" in Essen I went to the Games Workshop stand and talked with him about it. Yes they are making a buttload of money with it and he told me they simply had to do it because people got stuck with their armies, they had no more reasons to spend much money on figures. So they had to come up with something that changes everything so people start spending money again.

Hence why I listed 3 possibilities what could happen - you just refer to the status quo one (for example set around 2495 - 2522) I mentioned in my post.

Lithenir

Post#13 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Hargrim wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am
Hence why I listed 3 possibilities what could happen - you just refer to the status quo one (for example set around 2495 - 2522) I mentioned in my post.
Then that's on me for missunderstanding.
Anyway I am really looking forward for this and I hope they somehow bring back some of their old novels I still need to buy and read. They took many out of the store.

Hugatsaga

Post#14 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm

I pretty much stopped following Games Workshop related things (other than TW: Warhammer but then again, thats more about Creative Assembly than GW) once they threw the old IP in the trash and came up with Age of Sigmar but for a miniature manufacturer AoS business model seems better compared to the old one. I remember reading that pretty much everything in AoS is limited edition which helps with inventory turnover, which was one of the GW's big issues with classic Warhammer fantasy battles. Also it requires less models which helps new players get in the game. Plus its way less generic fantasy setting than WHFB which makes it harder for alternative miniature manufacturers to disrupt GW. And like someone pointed out, simply just changing everything requires everyone to buy new models (or quit).

So with that in mind its going to be interesting to see in what way they are going to bring WHFB back. And especially what kind of plans they have to make money other than the usual power creep.
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube