Recent Topics

Ads

Trying to decide between Squig Herder and Magus

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Orpheus66

Trying to decide between Squig Herder and Magus

Post#1 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Really having a hard time deciding on what to play. I started with Marauder, and while fun, I think I want to play a ranged class. So I'm just wondering what are the strengths and weaknesses between Squig Herder and Magus

Which is better for a first time playthrough?
Which is better in general PvP? And why
Which is, in your opinion, the better choice overall? And why

Ads
TenTonHammer

Re: Trying to decide between Squig Herder and Magus

Post#2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 pm

SH ranged dps spec is weak, compared to Sorc or magus your rdps is nowhere near as impressive additionally to get all the tools that you need from mastery trees you need to be likr RR70, this is why most people playing herder these days are playing with the melee squig herder tree.

Magus is pretty good the only problem with the class is that you cant really play with any other pet that pink horror in rvr becuase there is soo much AoE flying around that blue and flamer die too fast and without a pet you lose a good chunk of your dps potential

Orpheus66

Post#3 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:03 pm

TenTonHammer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 pm SH ranged dps spec is weak, compared to Sorc or magus your rdps is nowhere near as impressive additionally to get all the tools that you need from mastery trees you need to be likr RR70, this is why most people playing herder these days are playing with the melee squig herder tree.

Magus is pretty good the only problem with the class is that you cant really play with any other pet that pink horror in rvr becuase there is soo much AoE flying around that blue and flamer die too fast and without a pet you lose a good chunk of your dps potential
I watched some video's of SH melee and I really don't like what I see, I'm really disappointed their range isn't viable

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#4 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Orpheus66 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm Really having a hard time deciding on what to play. I started with Marauder, and while fun, I think I want to play a ranged class. So I'm just wondering what are the strengths and weaknesses between Squig Herder and Magus

Which is better for a first time playthrough?
Which is better in general PvP? And why
Which is, in your opinion, the better choice overall? And why
If you want to play a RDPS go for magus => the higer range dps.

ToXoS

Post#5 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:01 pm

Why not even considering Sorceress? It is better than Magus at burst damage and more mobile also. I started playing this game as a magus, made it to R40 RR40 a few years ago, then tried Sorc and never played Magus in RvR ever again.
If you want to play a ranged DPS that will actually kill people rather easily, play Sorc.

xanderous

Post#6 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:29 pm

Magus is great for long range single target nuking, much better than SH, they also can spec into aoe, get lots of kills defending a keep or spec into tanky rifter pulling enemies into their short range bombing without sacrificing much damage in the process. Range SH can kite, do reasonable single target damage but is only good for when is grouped up with decent tank and healer, their damage tends to not scale as good as magus either when it comes to intelligence vs ballistic i've done my fair share of roaming solo on them and it takes a very passive aggressive personality to do that, WL's will farm you, especially now more than ever. You can play melee version, can stack armor and have decent 1v1 experience vs most classes, accept dps healers or a tanky WP. Personally if you like range, play magus first its got a lot of tools and can experiment with gear, SH you got more mobility plus its a gobbo and we all love gobbo's.
Bashgutz RR82 Borc Vaseryn RR61 SM Krantz RR82 Knight Corvinus RR70 Chosen Mormonty RR72 IB
Starkus RR70 BG Snaptz RR83 SH Plagueis RR81 Magus Alec RR85 Engie Sourgazt RR69 Shaman
Kreaver RR80 Marauder Dugald RR75 Slayer

porkstar

Post#7 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:09 am

Magus is a great static nuker. If you can find yourself a good spot, have some time, and don’t have to move much you will put out great single target dmg at 150ft which is well out of the range of detaunt abilities. A lot of battles are very dynamic and mobile so magus can be disappointing in that regard. Range SH is a great assist DPS. You can shoot heal incoming heal debuff from range along with initiative and armor debuffs. They also have a lot of mobility and escape tools.
Vagreena Auntie Dangercat
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave
Penril wrote:So you are saying that a class you never touched is OP?
Go play it before posting about it pal...

Goermsi

Post#8 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 am

Get urself a Squig ;-)
i usually play with Jurki, one of the better Squigs on the server, and i tell u - he shoots the hell out of order players.
Dont fly one a big UFO, get a nasty wolfrider and an epic, ugly squig :-D
Like it Hard (Drakenwald)
...PVP, nothing else...

Ads