Recent Topics

Ads

Why no wiki access control instead of wiki staff only?

A place to help us on the wiki (corrections, pages to add...)
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
NachTKaP

Why no wiki access control instead of wiki staff only?

Post#1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:12 pm

I understand that the prospect of someone grieving is even less desirable on a wiki. However more people editing would mean a more up to date wiki and more content. Pics of items for cosmetic purposes, pics and stats for pq/pq influence rewards, quests and other such bits that are unlikely to happen due to the sheer amount of them and a limited number of editors.
I have done a bit editing on wikipedia and admit that the free for all editing there probably isnt a good idea for the ror wiki. However I have also contributed a bit to a family of other wikis: Liquipedia. Those wikis are run by staff and volunteers of Team Liquid (websites/forums: sc:bw/sc2, dota2, hearthstone, lol. wikis: dota2, sc:go, sc2, overwatch, hearthstone, smashbrothers, hos, sc:bw, rocket league). Mostly edited by them too. From editing (w/o any rights) some of those wikis myself I can say that the access control they employ doesnt feel forbidding while still allowing good control.

So why dont you use a type of access control for editing as well?
Such as:
  • no edits or only minor edits unless your account is X days old.
  • edits have to be approved by wiki staff unless you have X number of approved edits.
  • long time editors get more and more permissions (until they are maybe added to the wiki staff?)

Ads
taktaal

Re: Why no wiki access control instead of wiki staff only?

Post#2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:14 pm

I agree, the wiki as it is runs completely counter to what a wiki is supposed to be.

The information that is currently on it is impressive for having been written by only two people, but is still extremely threadbare compared to an average Gamepedia wiki. If editing was open to the general public there would've been a lot more content on it.

peterthepan3

Post#3 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Can you imagine the misinformation that would be spread if we allowed the average Joe to change **** where he deems fit?

Should it be accessible to more people? For sure - but I don't think it should be open to everyone; people should apply for access.

Shalktonin

Post#4 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:55 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:29 pm Can you imagine the misinformation that would be spread if we allowed the average Joe to change **** where he deems fit?

Should it be accessible to more people? For sure - but I don't think it should be open to everyone; people should apply for access.
which is exactly what was being advocated in the OP.

Any way i think this would definitely be a plus for the community in general the ability to add to the official wiki would be a great way to distribute the workload.
Scientia potentia est, tene hanc bene

R3xz

Post#5 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:31 pm

There are a lot of different measures to prevent trolls and randoms from changing stuff willy nilly. Almost all active and sucessful wikis have a dedicated admin or admin team, to employ bots and scripts for automation purposes or to prevent malicious or incorrect edits.

If they want to make it secure, have a limited registration system with a good screening process. Additionally, they can also set up tiers for editors, so that newer editors have more restrictions outside of basic text edit. They could even make rollback possible for higher tier editors to help with moderation of the wiki. The wiki as where it stand, is in a really lame state imo, even when compared to other much smaller mmorpgs.