Recent Topics

Ads

Keyboard Layout explained

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Rakhu

Keyboard Layout explained

Post#1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 pm

"I don't know how to play"

Yes, I'm a terrible noob and if I say I don't know how to *play* then that is exactly what i mean. I'm generally a mouse player and I can maybe manage keybindings from 1-4 and q-r.
However there seem to be so many important keybindings required in this game that my fingers regularly crash. I don't dare enter RvR because I'm ashamed of how clumsy I am and I don't want to burden the rest of the team.

So, please - could someone experienced spare a moment to explain the most important key actions during battle, and suggest good settings for keybindings?
My biggest problem is targetting - I need at least 5 keys for that, right? Target self, closest enemy, closest friend, next enemy, next friend. Is there something simpler? Maybe something as simple as an autotargeting add-on to at least always have the closest enemy in focus?
Also, I need both mouse keys to move and rotate view plus 2 keys to strafe plus 1 key to move backwards. Do "good" players (not necessarily meaning Order ;P) bother with key bindings for moving, or do they setup their keys for other things?
About keybindings for skills/actions, do players make use of all that is available or only pick 2-3 and stick with them? I know that's a matter of preference, but as a noob it's hard for me to tell if a skill is so exceptionally good that I don't need anything else, especially when I'm only starting out.

Am I missing any other must-have add-ons for battle that make life easier? I only installed VinyUI50 that was supplied with the setup and copied the Destro Healer folder for my DoK. Running the game for the first time gave me lots of errors about outdated add-ons not loading, so I'm not sure if maybe I'm missing out on something there.

I really apppreciate any well-meant advice!

Ads
Hypernia

Re: Keyboard Layout explained

Post#2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 pm

Going to suggest 2 options:
1) Rebind your hotbar keys to be around the wasd keys. For example my main hornet uses: space, c, v, b ,n ,f, g, h, q, e, r, t, y, the weird key you can hit with your punky left of z, 1-6 number keys, plus the keys before with shift and ctrl modifiers. You would be amazed how many keys you can hit with your thumb. Plus if you mainly strange with your ring finger on a, you can use your index finger to hit these keys.

2) get nerfedbuttons and set up strings to use less keybinds.