Recent Topics

Ads

Three factions

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Sirdisalot

Three factions

Post#1 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:04 am

It might be a bit out of reach for a private server and definitely against the lore. My suggestion is to have three factions battle it out.
To achieve this the idea is to use each pairing as a faction. So dark elves and high elves, chaos and empire, dwarves and green skins.

All factions would be different but most damage types would be covered. All would have aoe and single target, same goes for healers.

The point is to balance the battlefield and to have more interesting and tactical fights.

2cents

Ads
zak68

Re: Three factions

Post#2 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:16 am

Sirdisalot wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:04 am 2cents
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=17721

Telen
Suspended

Post#3 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:49 am

We have 3 factions already

Panodil

Post#4 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:51 am

Telen wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:49 am We have 3 factions already
Just sad with the 90 min lockout.
Panodil WP
Panodill DoK
Panodilz Zealot
Panodilr Runepriest
Run Shaman
Panage Archmage

roadkillrobin

Post#5 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 am

Most likly how the game was intended to be played for t1-3 and the beinning of t4 originally. Then the removal of most capitals happened and without individual capitals there was no logic to the campaign to keep the races split up.

There were probably never any intensions to initially have mixed racial groups eathier. The game was rushed without several classes which forced mixed groups due to lack of tanks for humans and dark elves, and melee dps for green skins and dwarves (kinda)The mastery paths were suppose to give racial groups build variations and options to cover most grounds while maintaining certain weaknesses.

Current mastery paths fill very little functions. Most builds looks 90% identical. The limitation of only getting 4 classes to build groups with would actually make better use of every mastery paths and reward creativity.

There are drawbacks to this ofc. Especially after the game allready established mixed racial groups as the standard.

It would be a nice experiment to get to try out however. Especially the group composition part.

Telen
Suspended

Post#6 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am

GW were trying to push the alliances at the time due to falling sales, to get the few customers to collect more armies. It does seem odd that Mythic would ditch their successful daoc formula for a step backwards. It wouldnt surprise me if GW wanted the alliance of order and chaos (later came undead). I always wondered if the cancelled VC expansion would have seen the start of that faction.

I think 3 faction would be far too much work to expect here. Even Mythic could only managed monster play which you could expand upon.

Also the mastery trees werent in some of the betas as I remember. They were pretty last minute.

roadkillrobin

Post#7 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Telen wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am GW were trying to push the alliances at the time due to falling sales, to get the few customers to collect more armies. It does seem odd that Mythic would ditch their successful daoc formula for a step backwards. It wouldnt surprise me if GW wanted the alliance of order and chaos (later came undead). I always wondered if the cancelled VC expansion would have seen the start of that faction.

I think 3 faction would be far too much work to expect here. Even Mythic could only managed monster play which you could expand upon.

Also the mastery trees werent in some of the betas as I remember. They were pretty last minute.
I remember seeing a very early Alpha video were they were talking about Swordmasters and their Mastery paths. Play style would either be a more conventional warrior type specialization with broad swords swings, or a close range magic caster that used sword to fend of melee attacks (jedi style) iirc. SM was intended to be a AoE dps class at that point.

Omegus

Post#8 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Telen wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am GW were trying to push the alliances at the time due to falling sales, to get the few customers to collect more armies. It does seem odd that Mythic would ditch their successful daoc formula for a step backwards. It wouldnt surprise me if GW wanted the alliance of order and chaos (later came undead). I always wondered if the cancelled VC expansion would have seen the start of that faction.

Honestly this strikes me more of Mythic trying to copy World Warcraft. This was at the time when everyone wanted to be the Warcraft killer which usually meant creating a bad version of WoW while trying to chase that sub money. In addition, the 6 factions chosen are hard to split into 3 when half of them align together (the 3 order factions). With more money and a lot more hindsight you could've had something akin to:

Order: Empire, High Elves and Dwarfs
Destruction: Dark Elves (manipulating), Greenskins and Skaven (I know Skaven are technically Chaos but they're not aligned with the big 4)
Chaos: Either multi-god or Human, Gors and Daemons/possessed

Or with more money:

Order: Empire, High Elves, Dwarfs, Lizardmen
Destruction: DE (manipulating), Orcs (full faction), Goblins (full), Skaven
Chaos: Tzeentch/Slaanesh/Khorne/Nurgle

Give me giant dinos and Lustria :'(
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#9 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 pm

The entire structure of the game would need to be rebuilt. There is neither space in the world, nor compatibility in the code engine or database to create a third faction. Let alone a willing army of volunteer slaves to create all the assets, models, animations, and effects to functionally build out such a faction. Anything less would be weak tokenism (ala the disgrace of skaven monsterplay on live). While we share grandiose dreams of a third potential faction, we also acknowledge such dreams will never come to pass on ROR, sad as that may be.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Omegus

Post#10 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:46 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:34 pm The entire structure of the game would need to be rebuilt. There is neither space in the world, nor compatibility in the code engine or database to create a third faction. Let alone a willing army of volunteer slaves to create all the assets, models, animations, and effects to functionally build out such a faction. Anything less would be weak tokenism (ala the disgrace of skaven monsterplay on live). While we share grandiose dreams of a third potential faction, we also acknowledge such dreams will never come to pass on ROR, sad as that may be.
Are there any thoughts on bringing any form of monsterplay to ROR? Not looking at specifics, just the concept in general. Not sure if it's a "no, never" or "we would love to but lack the resources". As much as Mythic's Skaven attempt was a bit off, one of the good concepts to come out of it was playable siege monsters e.g. the rat ogre being able to pound on keep doors. Something like that could add a bit of variety to RVR fights.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot