Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Useless in end game content?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
xruptor

Re: [Magus] Useless in end game content?

Post#81 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 pm

martholomew wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Ekundu01 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm
madmatics wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm Running a 70+ magus myself and really enjoying both the AoE and ST playing-styles in oRvR and casual SC‘s.

Just fishing for some thoughts now. When it comes to ranked SC, what would the ‘meta‘ build be looking like? ST for the dmg spikes or rather a def spec around utility and survivability?

Tks
I attempted to try out rift spec in some ranked SCs and it just doesn't work, all i managed to do was piss off the people i got paired with. You can make yourself fairly tanky as a magus with a guard and heals but the damage you do needs to be enough to pull your weight as a dps. It is like going into ranked as a monstro mara and expect to get kills. I think aoe/rift magus could work in ranked if it was not all random players not on coms. Rift/aoe spec just breaks or screws up CC in ranked and right timed CC is what gets kills.

If you are going to do ranked i would probably run single target spec. We are still at a disadvantage with turret mechanics though since the turret is very squishy. I recently changed over to some single target fun over the weekend and I am securing way more kills vs just being an aoe junky that half my stuff gets cleansed off.
This^ 100%.

I have so much fun playing a single target sniping Magus, and I can just about completely erase someone I focus on, but joining a warband for a siege it seems they don't give a **** about that for some reason, and being the only Magus, and having people ask if I am Rift, and then either scold me or tell me they're removing me because I don't want to be Rift and they just totally need that one trick pony BS is really sucky and disheartening. Not everyone wants to be a Zealot, Chosen or Choppa.

All it would take to solve the problem is make Rift a baseline ability for all Magi, which is already one of the least played classes on the server, and it's definitely not an easy one to do right. Our counterpart has a much easier endgame experience than we do.

Well that sucks :( Oh well I guess there is always the Sorcerer or something. It's hilarious how the classes I enjoy and would like to play are the ones either are not meta or the least played. Kinda sucks :(

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#82 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm

This is what happens when memes go too far for too long and people can't associate data when their mind-canon about a class is to make fun of it. Magus is actually a powerful long range class with viable single target and aoe damage. Prophetic memes propagated by the elitists have damned the class. The memes demand rift spam sacrifice, or ridicule for failure to obey.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

xruptor

Post#83 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm This is what happens when memes go too far for too long and people can't associate data when their mind-canon about a class is to make fun of it. Magus is actually a powerful long range class with viable single target and aoe damage. Prophetic memes propagated by the elitists have damned the class. The memes demand rift spam sacrifice, or ridicule for failure to obey.
Thanks for chiming and saying something wargrimnir. I really enjoy the class but it apparently has such a stigma and bad rap that folks apparently still relate with stuff that was propagated ages ago about the class. It's amazing how Engineer has a somewhat better reputation and is more widely accepted than the Magus and yet the classes are somewhat similar. They aren't exact mirrors mind you but the Magus shouldn't be as ridiculed and thrown in the gutter as it stands now. It's all this negativity that just ruins my enjoyment of a class I really do like. Forcing me to have to consider moving on to other classes because of the stigma and one-trick-pony requirements folks have for it. Sigh...

martholomew

Post#84 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm

xruptor wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 pm
Ekundu01 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm

I attempted to try out rift spec in some ranked SCs and it just doesn't work, all i managed to do was piss off the people i got paired with. You can make yourself fairly tanky as a magus with a guard and heals but the damage you do needs to be enough to pull your weight as a dps. It is like going into ranked as a monstro mara and expect to get kills. I think aoe/rift magus could work in ranked if it was not all random players not on coms. Rift/aoe spec just breaks or screws up CC in ranked and right timed CC is what gets kills.

If you are going to do ranked i would probably run single target spec. We are still at a disadvantage with turret mechanics though since the turret is very squishy. I recently changed over to some single target fun over the weekend and I am securing way more kills vs just being an aoe junky that half my stuff gets cleansed off.
This^ 100%.

I have so much fun playing a single target sniping Magus, and I can just about completely erase someone I focus on, but joining a warband for a siege it seems they don't give a **** about that for some reason, and being the only Magus, and having people ask if I am Rift, and then either scold me or tell me they're removing me because I don't want to be Rift and they just totally need that one trick pony BS is really sucky and disheartening. Not everyone wants to be a Zealot, Chosen or Choppa.

All it would take to solve the problem is make Rift a baseline ability for all Magi, which is already one of the least played classes on the server, and it's definitely not an easy one to do right. Our counterpart has a much easier endgame experience than we do.

Well that sucks :( Oh well I guess there is always the Sorcerer or something. It's hilarious how the classes I enjoy and would like to play are the ones either are not meta or the least played. Kinda sucks :(
I 100% feel you!

I would LIKE to be a DPS Warrior Priest, but OHhhh HO ho, don't you DARE try that one. Peer pressure and elitist condescension are powerful things in this server.
Magus 40/78

Skazur

Post#85 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm

martholomew wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm

This^ 100%.

I 100% feel you!

I would LIKE to be a DPS Warrior Priest, but OHhhh HO ho, don't you DARE try that one. Peer pressure and elitist condescension are powerful things in this server.
In this dps-wp-case in wb's: others have to work harder cause your funspec doesn't bring anything comparable; and that sux. Magus'/Eng's are quite good but you only have 8 slots for dps. As long as other chars perform way better, esp. in instant-(pb)-aoe-damage there's no need for more.

And to have that being said: eng/mag are hard to play to be effective. You won't find more than a handful of player's who excel with the class; I can only remember the names of about 4-5 eng's which have impressed me with their gameplay; all the hundred other aoe-dot-fluff-damagedealer's don't bring anything useful to the team.

Skullgrin

Post#86 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm This is what happens when memes go too far for too long and people can't associate data when their mind-canon about a class is to make fun of it. Magus is actually a powerful long range class with viable single target and aoe damage. Prophetic memes propagated by the elitists have damned the class. The memes demand rift spam sacrifice, or ridicule for failure to obey.

Hehe, it's your own fault for locking the Meme thread a year or so ago. No new memes has led to the older Memes casting their "Dark and Evil Power" across the forums. You should start a new Meme thread to counteract this.
:D :P :D
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

martholomew

Post#87 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 pm

Skazur wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm
martholomew wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm

I 100% feel you!

In this dps-wp-case in wb's: others have to work harder cause your funspec doesn't bring anything comparable; and that sux. Magus'/Eng's are quite good but you only have 8 slots for dps. As long as other chars perform way better, esp. in instant-(pb)-aoe-damage there's no need for more.

And to have that being said: eng/mag are hard to play to be effective. You won't find more than a handful of player's who excel with the class; I can only remember the names of about 4-5 eng's which have impressed me with their gameplay; all the hundred other aoe-dot-fluff-damagedealer's don't bring anything useful to the team.
Right...I mean no offense to you in this reply but:

Your same statement has been repeatedly said over and over again, ad nauseam. I know the reasons (literally all of them) of why people don't want a DPS WP. Your statement is precisely why Wargrimmnir made the post he did. Go back and read that.
Magus 40/78

Ekundu01

Post#88 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Skazur wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm And to have that being said: eng/mag are hard to play to be effective. You won't find more than a handful of player's who excel with the class; I can only remember the names of about 4-5 eng's which have impressed me with their gameplay; all the hundred other aoe-dot-fluff-damagedealer's don't bring anything useful to the team.
I don't think it is a matter of the class is harder to play but mechanics of the class are bad design. The whole class is tied to a mechanic that has a turret with 0 defenses and very low hp. The turret takes 16 secs of ramp up time to get to max damage for you to equal the same damage a sorc or bw could do and can be reset back to 0 at any time if it dies. Even using the turret with the most hp in wb vs wb situations like city it dies in about 3secs after summoning with how much aoe is flying around. If BW and Sorc had a buff they had to use to keep up the class mechanics of crit/crit damage that had a 2sec cast time that fell off after 5-6 hits they would be in the same boat as magus and engie.

No other class has a class mechanic that can be hard countered by random aoe flying around as much as magus/engie.
Trismack

Ads
martholomew

Post#89 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Ekundu01 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Skazur wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 pm And to have that being said: eng/mag are hard to play to be effective. You won't find more than a handful of player's who excel with the class; I can only remember the names of about 4-5 eng's which have impressed me with their gameplay; all the hundred other aoe-dot-fluff-damagedealer's don't bring anything useful to the team.
I don't think it is a matter of the class is harder to play but mechanics of the class are bad design. The whole class is tied to a mechanic that has a turret with 0 defenses and very low hp. The turret takes 16 secs of ramp up time to get to max damage for you to equal the same damage a sorc or bw could do and can be reset back to 0 at any time if it dies. Even using the turret with the most hp in wb vs wb situations like city it dies in about 3secs after summoning with how much aoe is flying around. If BW and Sorc had a buff they had to use to keep up the class mechanics of crit/crit damage that had a 2sec cast time that fell off after 5-6 hits they would be in the same boat as magus and engie.

No other class has a class mechanic that can be hard countered by random aoe flying around as much as magus/engie.
This is an excellent and very valid point...

If only there were some way to have maybe a solo/lone tactic we could slot that let us be a "Solo" class without using a pet, like some classes who have similar....wouldn't that be something.
Magus 40/78

Ekundu01

Post#90 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:06 pm

martholomew wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 pm
Ekundu01 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm

This is an excellent and very valid point...

If only there were some way to have maybe a solo/lone tactic we could slot that let us be a "Solo" class without using a pet, like some classes who have similar....wouldn't that be something.
The loner tactic would be hard to do because the turrets also add other benefits. I was trying to think of ways to fix this the other day. One would be to just mirror stats from caster to turret including all health/defenses 1-1.

The other idea was to not have all stacks fall off as soon as the turret dies. Instead if the turret dies you get a temp buff that lasts 10 seconds that keeps you at the stacks the turret had when it died, if you summon a new turret before the buff drops it puts all those stacks back on that turret.
Trismack