Recent Topics

Ads

Magic Power or Crit?

Let's talk about... everything else
Arixe

Magic Power or Crit?

Post#1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Looking for opinions for taking more magic power (90) or more magic crit (6%) for a DPS Shammy? The difference between going more Warlord or Sov. gear.

Ads
Sulorie

Re: Magic Power or Crit?

Post#2 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Arixe wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm Looking for opinions for taking more magic power (90) or more magic crit (6%) for a DPS Shammy? The difference between going more Warlord or Sov. gear.
There is a holy war on this question. You will get all possible statements.
Overall, the percentual crit gain will be higher than the percentual magic bonus damage increase.
Dying is no option.

Manatikik

Post#3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Sulorie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Arixe wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm Looking for opinions for taking more magic power (90) or more magic crit (6%) for a DPS Shammy? The difference between going more Warlord or Sov. gear.
There is a holy war on this question. You will get all possible statements.
Overall, the percentual crit gain will be higher than the percentual magic bonus damage increase.

Doesn’t the magic power give a higher % increase cause you don’t have a crit damage modifier? I really can’t remember the number per % increase right now but iirc it’s around 15 which gives you a 6% damage increase with the magic power and you only get a ~4% increase with 6% crit with no crit damage modifier.
<Montague><Capulet>

Zxul

Post#4 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:49 pm

Take your intel+magic power. Crit dmg without +crit dmg tactics is 35-50% extra dmg- average 42.5, so multiply your (intel+magic power) *0.06 *0.425. This is how much of extra stat for dmg 6% crit is worth for you. Now compare that to 90 extra stat, and see which one is higher.

It does worth noting though that lucky extra crit might allow you to burst someone, who you wouldn't be able to burst otherwise. And from other hand, vs someone with a lot of FS ranks, extra crit might do nothing whatsoever, while extra magic power will still work.

Also, dmg from stat is migated by toughness, so if you look on the above calculation, the higher the target toughness, the less extra dmg you will get out of your crits.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

jennahazee

Post#5 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:31 pm

Is it worth getting a full warlord or sovereign bonuses?
There are some granted abilites and I can't find any info regarding it.

Arixe

Post#6 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:57 pm

From what i can tell mixing set bonuses is better than the single set bonuses you lose out on. Depending on the class, there could be some classes that a full set is greater with the bonuses than splitting them up.
I am looking at a 5/3 ratio just trying to determine which should be 5 and which should be 3 out of the Sov./warlord gear.

lyncher12

Post#7 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 pm

uh the magic power difference between sov and warlord is 18 not sure what configuration of items you are using to see that much of a difference

you get 18 less magic power with off sov and more crit as well as just better all around stats on the items

noobwarrior

Post#8 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:34 pm

I've already tested it..
and I find a constant better than a variable..
with the mp skill I even crack tanks ..but only if you follow all the requirements..
elemental residence reduce / toughness reduce..
I personally think MP is better than crit what I have tested and tried in the rvr

Ads
Sulorie

Post#9 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 pm

The thing is, constant damage only kills targets without healing. To overcome healing you need burst, which means a chain of crits.
And the odds to have crit chains are higher with more crit.
All the calculations which show a lead for mp over crit are correct but flawed at the same time. Pvp isn't about hitting someone a certain number of times and then sum up all damage. The calculation can't reflect everything that happens during a fight and is only somewhat true for fights without healing. When healers are involved, it usualy is a stalemate, if both sides are equal and only sudden bursts lead to kills. Without as many crits as possible, there won't be burst damage and you won't kill a healed target.
Dying is no option.

Manatikik

Post#10 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Sulorie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 pm The thing is, constant damage only kills targets without healing. To overcome healing you need burst, which means a chain of crits.
And the odds to have crit chains are higher with more crit.
All the calculations which show a lead for mp over crit are correct but flawed at the same time. Pvp isn't about hitting someone a certain number of times and then sum up all damage. The calculation can't reflect everything that happens during a fight and is only somewhat true for fights without healing. When healers are involved, it usualy is a stalemate, if both sides are equal and only sudden bursts lead to kills. Without as many crits as possible, there won't be burst damage and you won't kill a healed target.
I'd say thats true in some cases and not in others. No one brings a DPS Sham/AM for their burst (though AM can time stamp alright) but most are trying to do solo roam shenanigans so you will end up getting more consistent kills with more magic power over time (esp with dot's and such) but we both know you have a million times more experience than me on dps am/sham so i will take your word for it.
<Montague><Capulet>