Recent Topics

Ads

Game crashes as soon as I see character screen

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Shanhaeval

Game crashes as soon as I see character screen

Post#1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 am

Hello everyone,
I am trying to play RoR after a long time and am getting my family to play with me. We installed the game and when we log in the game crashes as soon as we get to the character screen. It says windows error and does not give us a fix. Anyone know why or what we are doing wrong so we can correct this issue? Thanks in advance!

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Re: Game crashes as soon as I see character screen

Post#2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:19 am

How to Install:
- Stop your Torrent from seeding (close it, maybe check your task manager)
- Move the RoR Folder to c:\ (or atleast it's NOT in c:\program or a folder which it wont have write access. For instance move it to c:\Games\Return of Reckoning)
- Install DirectX9 (This is included in the torrent. In the ReturnOfReckoning-March2020 folder find the dx90c folder, open that and run DXSETUP.exe
- Remove the write-protection from all the files in the WAR folder. (right click the game folder -> properties -> disable the read-only box)
- Check if your whole RoR Folder is whitelisted in your Antivirus program and check if your Firewall or Maleware doesn't interfere with the install.
- You may also try running the launcher with Administrator privileges. (Right click the RoR updater > properties > run administrator)
- Run the RoRLauncher.exe
- Let it update (sometimes it needs a few seconds until it starts)
- Launch the game
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Lilim
Community Management

Re: Game crashes as soon as I see character screen

Post#3 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:35 am

Shanhaeval wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 am It says windows error and does not give us a fix.
Hey,

what kind of error? Maybe you can post a screenshot here (host it somewhere first).

Maybe you have to set it up to windowed mode:
  • go to your RoR game folder > user > and open the UserSettings.xml with an editor
  • search for this line (line 4 or so)
  • and change it to

Code: Select all

<Mode window_frame="true" fullscreen="false" />
  • save the file
  • and start your game