Recent Topics

Ads

Choosing a class archetype

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
RedMD

Choosing a class archetype

Post#1 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Hello,

This is yet another «help me choose a class» topic, only a bit different. None can exactly choose for me what I «should» play because my preferences are mines alone. I'll instead be asking you about the different gameplay archetypes there is. I did some researches but I didn't indestigated too much of each classes in-depths mechanics not to spoil myself the pleasure of discovery. So far there is four archetypes :

Healers
Tanks
Melee damage dealer
Ranged damage dealer

For exemple I believe that some healers car performe well at damage dealing, that's a subarchetype (resulting of building the character on way or another) for me and the gameplay will probably results in having to balance my time between dealing damages and heals. Can someone be courageous enough to describe me archetypes and what are their roles (irstead of how they play, not to spoil the fun too much) ?

Regards

Ads
tazdingo

Re: Cnoosing a class archetype

Post#2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:10 pm

healer - heal, rez, buff & some cc. hybrids are usually for solo or small scale play. in open rvr some healer can function as dps but this is usually done in the form of going full dps rather than hybrid

tank - mitigate dmg, hold the front line, cc. all tanks have the same set of base abilities that prevent dmg to their allies, shown as the protection score in scoreboards. in open rvr your job is also to be the front line, using your survivability, snares and body to be a buffer between the enemy any your squishies. you also have harder cc in the form of knockdowns and punts but this varies amongst classes. these are more important in small scale where you're skirmishing rather than holding a front, and your job is to protect, cc and debuff for a dps class, or switch to protecting a teammate who is being hard focused

i don't play dps but i'm sure someone else will explain

zulnam

Re: Choosing a class archetype

Post#3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm

There's a lot of things to take into account, such as class desirability in group content and the possibility to find a spot.

Dps classes, even good ones with good gear, can struggle to find spots if they don't join a guild. It is usually the first spot to fill in a warband, that of dps.

Tanks are a different story. Often they are needed and sometimes even left to play warband using dps spec (known as 2H). In smallscale and ST groups it's almost a requirement for some classes. They're fun and the two easiest classes to pick up are tanks (Knight and Chosen) though be warned that Knight can be, imo, very very boring.

As for healers, yes they usually have dps trees (except rp/zealot), but it's, bluntly put, stigmatised, to play as a dps healer. Lose any SC with a dps healer and see who gets blamed first. I don't even wanna imagine the abuse they would get if playing dps in a losing pug city.

If you want to play healer and make friends only play the class if you want to primarily heal. In time and with gear they'll be fine with you playing dps spec as well on the occasional chill wb/party.

And then going even deeper it gets even more stratified. Not all tanks and healers are wanted equally (but thankfully, you usually find a spot no matter due to the lack of these roles).

Some dps classes almost never get a spot in a WB, depending on what the officers consider is meta. If they do, most get one spot; but the reality is there are 8 dps spots and 6 dps classes per side so it's very stiff competition.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

RedMD

Post#4 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:11 pm

Thank you for your insight, both of you. I really appreciate it.

ashton007

Post#5 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 pm

Try shield warrior priest, find a tank buddy to guard you (would be happy to with my IB that I’m working on). Shield warrior priest has to attack to heal his party, resulting in a weird damage healing hybrid that I find super enjoyable.