Recent Topics

Ads

Help choosing a destro tank.

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
pvprangergod
Suspended

Re: Help choosing a destro tank.

Post#11 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Daynar wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:32 pm
pvprangergod wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:58 pm You can see ping in the resource manager/monitor when you do Ctrl Alt Delete and go to task manager (while the game is running)
Thanks for this it looks like I am somewhere between 130 and 180. So not ideal but still usable I think.

Overall it looks like the general answer is what I expected. Play what you want/find most fun. Which doesn't really help me choose, but maybe I just need to level them all and see what I like more. I do plan on starting cultivation early on. Would that be an expensive gold sink to do on multiple characters?
Cultivating costs basically nothing to level to max (200), just buy level 1 seeds from the cultivating vendor and then it takes maybe a hour or a few while you do other things.

You will definitely want https://tools.idrinth.de/addons/miraclegrowlight/ it puts a small window that lets you grow stuff in just one click.

And also https://tools.idrinth.de/addons/craftvaluetip/ provides extra information on item tooltips.

And for selling or finding items, https://tools.idrinth.de/addons/shinies/ provides a much better auction house interface.

Ads
ashton007

Post#12 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 am

zulnam wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 am Depends what your preferred activity is: RvR, solo roam, smallscale, ranked, sc, pve.

There is no gap between tanks large enough to have a single definitive answer. Tanks are also in demand so whatever you pick you will usually find a spot.

For group utility the ranking is: Chosen > BO > BG.
I would hardly say BO offers more utility than a BG after they ruined waaagh. If you want to be the most generic and wanted “meta” you pick chosen. Second, BG has the most warband debuffs and is arguably the most useful vs SL.

zulnam

Post#13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 am

ashton007 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 am
zulnam wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 am Depends what your preferred activity is: RvR, solo roam, smallscale, ranked, sc, pve.

There is no gap between tanks large enough to have a single definitive answer. Tanks are also in demand so whatever you pick you will usually find a spot.

I would hardly say BO offers more utility than a BG after they ruined waaagh. If you want to be the most generic and wanted “meta” you pick chosen. Second, BG has the most warband debuffs and is arguably the most useful vs SL.
Sure. Go run a warband with 3-4 2h BGs doing aoe debuff and let us know how that works out for you.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Cyrylius

Post#14 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:24 am

This is about where it should be mentioned that BG is also the only tank that is ultimately more useful for a warband 2H than snb, at least one of those. Then you bring two amazing utility abilities in AoE snare and aoe crit debuff. In snb on the other hand BG is only as good as you enjoy playing it. Black ork and chosen will usually be expected to bring snb gear in orvr and 2H in SCs. That being said the closer to 6v6 the more BG will be better than other tanks, it provides all the debuffs needed in ST groups of all sorts and if you look at ranked leaderboards you'll notice bgs are by far the highest MMR tanks.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Rubius
Developer

Post#15 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Have played tank way too much, for many years, on both sides. My perspective here:

- Chosen is a great and straightforward tank if you want a more basic experience. Also very useful with its Auras in large-scale play.

- Black Guard
is probably my favorite of the Destro tanks, personally. Can be played SnB but the 2H Variant gives a crit increase chance to all of your allies. Also comes with AOE snare which is critical in effective large-scale play. I'd rank it hardest of the 3 destro tanks to play well, but great once you get it down.

- Black Orc has rotations to consider but overall isn't terrible or too hard to play. Comes with a number of strong abilities and the 2H Spec is nothing to scoff at either.

As all the 2H tank specs just got buffed, I recommend adjusting to the situation. If you're defending a fortress door, put on a shield. If you're roaming in small scale and need damage, try out the 2H spec. Or if you just find one you prefer, roll with that - ultimately, have fun!

diegomess

Post#16 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:49 pm

think about this.

you can be the hulking big BO that deals very good crit damage, the emo virgin BG that has good 2h utility and aoe but hits like a noodle or the giga chad chosen with fabulous armor and the best solo of them all with very good damage in late game.

yeah chosen is the most limited of destro but at least u can do different dmg builds, is not as braindead easy and boring as knight
Chosen Dahaka RR88
BO Zamedi 80

ashton007

Post#17 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:55 pm

zulnam wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 am
ashton007 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 am

Sure. Go run a warband with 3-4 2h BGs doing aoe debuff and let us know how that works out for you.
I wasn’t speaking about warband compositions nor did I mention BG being stackable, although I think 2 is perfectly fine , one for ST debuffing and one for blob debuffing. You literally spout misinformation by saying that BO offers more utility than a BG, and now you want to pick apart my comment? Get bent

Cyrylius

Post#18 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:36 pm

I'll answer you in place of zul then. Blorc grants (from top of my head, I don't play one) fast morale generation, party buffs ranging from random stats to resistances, healing, shields for whole party and AA buff. I might have missed something here... Ah yes, better survivability (1/3 block channel Vs perma on blorc).
On the other hand snb BG brings aoe avoidance debuff (which, funnily enough, 2H version will bring too and will do it better because it will do more damage), aoe slow (which, even more funnily, 2H version will bring too with the same bonus as previous point), st crit debuff (mind you, I'm not listing st stuff for blorc) and M4 that's better in forts than immaculate. I'd argue it's pretty clear that utility isn't evenly spread across two classes.
And then we get to the point, which is: zul did answer your question. Blorks are stacked because a group with blork will be significantly more stable than one with BG. You have useful skills on BG, but almost all of them you can get on 2H variant, notably powerful aoe ctbc+. You say that without cd reducer blork is worse than BG, and I'm telling you that it was overpowered when it has cd reducer to the point of making other destro tanks unnecessary. It's still highest protection tank on destro when skills are even and it has excellent effect on warband sustain, while all the stuff BG brings is used to debuff enemies, which in most cases is of lesser priority than keeping members alive. And once again I repeat, we aren't discussing any BG, we are discussing sword and board variant, which is generally valued lower than 2H while requiring less endgame gear.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Ads
Valarion

Post#19 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:46 pm

pvprangergod wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 am
In my experience playing Chosen, its only ever "the easiest class to play" when you are literally just standing in a door way as a meat shield channeling hold the line ability. I have done this before, this 'boring gameplay' is still rewarding in the sense that you feel invulnerable, like a tank should, against hordes of enemies. Usually this is done in forts.

This is not just a Chosen problem.... all tanks have this problem. That being said, I enjoy being the semi-mindless-meatshield-spam-hold-the-line while rotating guard kind of tank. I appreciated it so much I directly asked Marc Jacobs about it in the CU forums
Spoiler:
all of this is being implemented over there too
80+ WP/Dok/RP/Zealot 60+ AM/Shaman/Knight/Chosen/SM/BO/BW/Sorc 40+WL/Eng. SW deleted

ChicagoJoe

Post#20 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:35 pm

Cyrylius wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:36 pm I'll answer you in place of zul then. Blorc grants (from top of my head, I don't play one) fast morale generation, party buffs ranging from random stats to resistances, healing, shields for whole party and AA buff. I might have missed something here... Ah yes, better survivability (1/3 block channel Vs perma on blorc).
On the other hand snb BG brings aoe avoidance debuff (which, funnily enough, 2H version will bring too and will do it better because it will do more damage), aoe slow (which, even more funnily, 2H version will bring too with the same bonus as previous point), st crit debuff (mind you, I'm not listing st stuff for blorc) and M4 that's better in forts than immaculate. I'd argue it's pretty clear that utility isn't evenly spread across two classes.
And then we get to the point, which is: zul did answer your question. Blorks are stacked because a group with blork will be significantly more stable than one with BG. You have useful skills on BG, but almost all of them you can get on 2H variant, notably powerful aoe ctbc+. You say that without cd reducer blork is worse than BG, and I'm telling you that it was overpowered when it has cd reducer to the point of making other destro tanks unnecessary. It's still highest protection tank on destro when skills are even and it has excellent effect on warband sustain, while all the stuff BG brings is used to debuff enemies, which in most cases is of lesser priority than keeping members alive. And once again I repeat, we aren't discussing any BG, we are discussing sword and board variant, which is generally valued lower than 2H while requiring less endgame gear.
"You say that without cd reducer blork is worse than BG, and I'm telling you that it was overpowered when it has cd reducer to the point of making other destro tanks unnecessary." True dat. It was easily best destro tank with CD reducer and already hugely popular and populated. It is still great, probably still better than its mirror (SM) which btw is lightly played by comparison on order and generally was impossible to fill a city wb with more than 1-2. I'm probably in the minority here that I think the balance changes have typically been pretty good as I think cross realming provides perspective.
primary IB 8X, EN8X, WP7X, SL7X, KOTBS6X, and a bunch of under rr60 toons on order and destro with other classes.