Recent Topics

Ads

[DoK] How to ShieldDoK?

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
akkarrin2

[DoK] How to ShieldDoK?

Post#1 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:38 pm

Hey I recently started on RoR and brought my DoK to 40/40. I'm searching for builds, gear and talisman advice on playing as a shield healer. I would be glad, if you could help me out with my questions.

Areas
I am interested in SCs, small scale RvR and running PvE instances from time to time. I usually play in a small group and can get a guard if necessary.

Gear
Are there any items I should get early on? Mostly jewelry and weapons are interesting. Currently I use a mix of beastlord and parts of sentinel (getting more soon). For renown I skilled melee crit+ strength in PvE and Futile Strikes+Deft Defender for PvP.

What talismans should I use? Do I have to take defense or can I go straight for offence?

Which items are a long term goal? (BiS)

Builds
I'm currently using something similar to this (also using Transferred Focus) https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... 585,9586,9
What are key skills/tactics to take and which should I take for remaining points (especially in DD/Heal tree)?

Skill usage
For full healing I'm using Transfer Essence and Consume Essence. If I don't need to heal right away I keep the effects of Warding Strike, Sanguine Extension, Flay and Lacerate up. Filling with Rend Soul and Devour Essence to use extensive Soul Essence.
Is this correct or what are priority skills/effects I should focus on?

Ads
rngvp

Re: [DoK] How to ShieldDoK?

Post#2 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:01 pm

I’m interested in this as well. I have found bits and pieces from scouring the forums but not a definitive guide. It’s also hard to tell if something is outdated with all the skill balances that have occurred. It’s very common for people to comment on a thread from a couple years ago that brings it to the front but the data and discussion is invalid.

akkarrin2

Post#3 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 pm

I did some theory crafting and can give some info on stat priority. Strength boosts your healing and damage harder than crit (renown build).

With my mixed beastlord/sentinel gear I can survive SCs fairly well, even with full offensive reknown stats. When being focused I need guard to not get melted though. Getting the defence up through reknown should fix this though.

After this research I will go for full strength talismans. You probably could get wounds too, to survive burst, but I didn't have that problem yet.

I'm still confused on what build to use. Sanguine Extension does good damage and the tactic below is also pretty good. But everything else, even the moral and last skill in sacrifice seem not that great to me. Got to check if the AoE shield from healing is also counted as an "direct heal".

jshort

Post#4 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:10 pm

Shield dok is good for small scale and pve. So it will work for you.

Pve sets are your way to go until you get Endgame sets. My recommendation is to save all your crest for endgame gear if you only play shield dok. Otherwise you probably have to by vanqhisher set to heal with chalice. Your pve sets as a shield dok should be either bloodlord + sentinel or valewalker + sentinel. For jewelry the sentinel ring is a must have, with either +6% parry or +6% block talisman in it for pvp (for pve you can slot a +23 strength talisman into the 2nd ring). Genesis set either strength one or wounds, both are viable. I prefer wounds one but thats my preference. Last one Rough Gunbad Diamond for +2% block, or Purple one from Bastion Stair if you want an offensive one.
The sword and shield from Bastion Stair are probably the best choice for weapons until you hit rr61+ and can get Anathema/Fortress stuff.

Pve:
Shield dok is very strong in pve. Giving a strong dmg boost to the group and strong heal. For Pve just go full dmg mode. focus on str and crit. The more damage you deal with your healing strikes the better.

Pvp:
In a party with the right setup a shield dok can be very strong. But you are still a healer. Tanks will and should give guard to dps and only switch if you get strong focus. So you have to be more tanky and survive without guard. You dont go for toughness or armor. Talismans still all strength. But you need high parry + blockchance to survive.
For rr45 i would go 2x furtile strikes, 4x defender, 3x reflexes. For Potion take Liniment of Swit Tergiversation (+60 wsk,-5% chance to get crits) to get your chance to be critted at around 0%. With higher gear and more experience you can also try like 2x furtile strikes, 4x reflexes, 3x crit.

With 4x defender, +6% block talisman from sentinel ring, bloodlord shield (+5% block total), sentinel helm (+2% block), gunbad diamond (+2% block) + the 10% from warding strike you have 35% block chance. If you use valewalker set you will reach 40%.

Dont forget to use Consume Enchantment on those nasty slayers to remove their Rampage Buff (their attacks cant be blocked or parried for 10-20s) or you will melt to thier ae. Good idea is to add it to buffhead (addon, highly recommended) so you see it when its active. (ID: 1459 Rampage)

Endgame gear can vary from 5x warlord + 3x alt Sov Set (very offensive) to 2x Sent + 7x alt Sov (defensive). I hope this gives you a short idea of what to aim for.

akkarrin2

Post#5 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:24 am

jshort wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:10 pm Shield dok is good for small scale and pve. So it will work for you.

Pve sets are your way to go until you get Endgame sets. My recommendation is to save all your crest for endgame gear if you only play shield dok. Otherwise you probably have to by vanqhisher set to heal with chalice. Your pve sets as a shield dok should be either bloodlord + sentinel or valewalker + sentinel. For jewelry the sentinel ring is a must have, with either +6% parry or +6% block talisman in it for pvp (for pve you can slot a +23 strength talisman into the 2nd ring). Genesis set either strength one or wounds, both are viable. I prefer wounds one but thats my preference. Last one Rough Gunbad Diamond for +2% block, or Purple one from Bastion Stair if you want an offensive one.
The sword and shield from Bastion Stair are probably the best choice for weapons until you hit rr61+ and can get Anathema/Fortress stuff.

Pve:
Shield dok is very strong in pve. Giving a strong dmg boost to the group and strong heal. For Pve just go full dmg mode. focus on str and crit. The more damage you deal with your healing strikes the better.

Pvp:
In a party with the right setup a shield dok can be very strong. But you are still a healer. Tanks will and should give guard to dps and only switch if you get strong focus. So you have to be more tanky and survive without guard. You dont go for toughness or armor. Talismans still all strength. But you need high parry + blockchance to survive.
For rr45 i would go 2x furtile strikes, 4x defender, 3x reflexes. For Potion take Liniment of Swit Tergiversation (+60 wsk,-5% chance to get crits) to get your chance to be critted at around 0%. With higher gear and more experience you can also try like 2x furtile strikes, 4x reflexes, 3x crit.

With 4x defender, +6% block talisman from sentinel ring, bloodlord shield (+5% block total), sentinel helm (+2% block), gunbad diamond (+2% block) + the 10% from warding strike you have 35% block chance. If you use valewalker set you will reach 40%.

Dont forget to use Consume Enchantment on those nasty slayers to remove their Rampage Buff (their attacks cant be blocked or parried for 10-20s) or you will melt to thier ae. Good idea is to add it to buffhead (addon, highly recommended) so you see it when its active. (ID: 1459 Rampage)

Endgame gear can vary from 5x warlord + 3x alt Sov Set (very offensive) to 2x Sent + 7x alt Sov (defensive). I hope this gives you a short idea of what to aim for.
Thank you very much, this helps me a lot! What do you recommend as career build and tactics? I currently use the on from the first post. Plus Transfered Focus.
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... 585,9586,9

Butzinjo

Post#6 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:11 am

Hey maybe take a look at this topic viewtopic.php?t=45452, if not already done, it helps me a lot.

For spec a would definitely go this way
RoR.builders - Disciple of Khaine

"Gift of Khaine" can prog a lot, even on "Devour Essence" as i remeber.
Rest of points is up to u.

Maybe try to get some "ap-/absorb on hit" weapons/shield, these could be livesaving.

For more info´s i had to be at home. But since i hit 40/40 i play more in heal-spec, as it was more often a pain as fun to play shield. With low-lvl gear in CR40 SC, it feels with shield-spec i can not contribute as much as i can with heal-spec. Nevertheless, i further expanded my shield-gear, with Beastlord/Valewalker and Subjugator/Sentinel weapons/ shield.

jshort

Post#7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 am

Looks fine to me. I would take 1 less point in Torture and get Soul Ward incase order has lot of range dps and you have to close the cap before beeing able to heal. Investing 10 Renown Points in Quick Escape can also be very helpfull for getting in melee range.

The 3 tactics you chose in your builder always stay (+25%dmg, +crit/parry, +25%heal on lifetaps). As 4th tactic i use Transferred Focus most of the time. Sometimes Fueled Actions can be good (25% chance to give you 35 soul essence when beeing hit). For example if you use Sould Ward for 6s it costs you 150 SE but Fueled Actions can give you gack 70 S.E. in the same time. Gift of Khaine (absorb proc from Path of Sacrifice) can be very nice, too. I lean more towards Transferred Focus but you should also try Gift of Khaine and see what you works for you.

An offensive/debuff option is taking the healdebuff tactic:
RoR.builders - Disciple of Khaine
but most of the time atleast 1 of the groups dps has an healdebuff and it is not needed and you have to be rr70 to get it and sacrifice some healing power.
This can be good if you duo roam with a 2hand tank.

I prefer Divine Favor as Morale 1, it gives the option for 1 range heal if you get kicked away and 1 ally gets focused. Though usually i use M2 or M3 (the ones you chose).

Last tips: If you get focused dont forget to use your ae detaunt Terrifying Vision. And use Patch Wounds on Allys to remove enemys heal debuffs. (I have mine as click cast via Enemy Addon. So i just leftclick the ally on the group frame to cleanse them, i have my group frame close to the center of my screen so have only a short distance for mouse to move)

akkarrin2

Post#8 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:54 am

Thank you very much. I got to try the different tactics and especially Quick Escape. I will also try Soul Ward again, even though it felt rather weak the last time I used it. I probably stay on Transferred Focus or Gift of Khaine, since pillage essence gives a lot of SE when needed, but will test it.

Once again thank you for your detailed explanations, you helped me a lot.

Ads
RoKaToR

Post#9 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:28 pm

What do you think about the tactic "potent covenants"? I like it for grp play...

jshort

Post#10 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:24 am

Its not worth it.