Regarding Global Cooldowns

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Secrets
Former Staff

Re: Regarding Global Cooldowns

Post#131 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:31 pm

Haojin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 am it's mind blowing that nobody gives a single **** about channels being buffed heavly.

with the new 1.5 sec gcd, every channel ticks under 1.5 seconds (most likely all of them) will be countered by %30-35 slower heals. when you prebuff your channels with abilities/morales, it's already rip for the healers.

not mentioning that how many abilities you were able to cast under certain buffs/morales before the change. many of the buffs/morales nerfed by %30 with the change, wonder if they ever going to fine tuning the stuff for the new GCD. to sum up;

-every channel tick under 1.5 seconds should be increased.
-every buff/morale duration times should be increased. (mostly the ones ≤10)
Honestly, I think if this is fixed it'll be better off.
Channels had a NASTY bug before where you could jump and get double ticks in some high ping situations due to how the channel would react to pushbacks.

It resulted in about the same throughput, but you had to bug it out. Now it's guaranteed throughput and channels can be tuned down.

Ads
kolybri

Post#132 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:47 pm

Dear Max, dear Dev-Team,
it has now been roughly 6 months or half a year that you implemented the GCD changes.
Regarding that, Max clarified the changes for us and why they had to happen:
MaxHayman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm The recent changes that we pushed are part of a bigger effort on the ability system that would overall help the development of the project and the player experience in the long run. Thus, we initially refrained from sharing the bigger plan as it’s still in its earliest stage and at this very moment there are no observable benefits from it, but in the future, it opens several doors.

However, before we dig deeper into the global cooldown change, we would like to talk about the reasoning behind the bigger effort on the ability system and how that helps with future development and faster release of content in the future.
  • Faster turn around time on ability changes
  • Less knowledge required to do ability changes
  • More consistent and accurate real world values from game data
  • Easier way to recreate dungeon boss abilities, creature abilities and item related abilities
  • Accurate ability and character window tooltips (damage and timers)
  • Fixing some smaller nuances on how abilities worked
Lastly, we’d like to reassure you that we constantly strive to make the game better, create content, ease future development and bug fixing, however the tools that we have in hand are very limited and even created by our team over the years. Which is why some changes are introduced after many years of preparations. Moving forward, we will make sure to communicate game-changing implementations properly and firmly through our Community Management team.
Big changes have had, in my opinion, always an impact on the playerbase (e. g. nerfed buttons, GCD, cities, war crests). Even though they were often met with mixed resistance or enthusiasm from the playerbase, they were made in the hope to better the game for the future.
I in particular had personal problems with - not limited to but in specific - the GCD change. It made the game feel slower and more sluggish. But good reasons, like the evening out between players with higer and lower pings, were given so that rewards of this very change could be reaped in the future.

What is not sitting well with me however is that after 6 months, I have yet to see a clear improvement for the game made from this very change.
Where are for example faster turn around times on ability changes?
Ability changes in the past 6 months (and even before) have probably been at an all-time low. Here are some examples:

Engineer (17/08/22)
- Steam Vent is now dealing corporeal damage like tooltip states, previously it was doing physical damage.

Swordmaster (27/05/22)
- [20120] Phoenix Wing doesn't require enemy target within 5ft anymore

White lion (18/05/22)
- Cleave Limb: Corrected Action Point cost to match tooltip value (from 25 to 30)

- Primal Fury: Corrected Action Point cost to match tooltip value (from 40 to 45)

Is that what the GCD change was sacrificed for?

Most of the patch notes between now and the implementation of the GCD change did not contain any changes that regard game abilities (or other mentioned improvements on the game as stated above).

What I would like to have clarified is that if we are still in the "early stages" and are "several doors" still to be "opened"?
Because what it feels to me right now is that a controverse, playerbase-splitting game change has been made with an argument for a better future in the game which after half a year of waiting I still have yet to see.

Or maybe I am just wrong and needlessly concerned.

Regards
Skellt

BluIzLucky

Post#133 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:49 pm

kolybri wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:47 pm
Spoiler:
Dear Max, dear Dev-Team,
it has now been roughly 6 months or half a year that you implemented the GCD changes.
MaxHayman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm The recent changes that we pushed are part of a bigger effort on the ability system that would overall help the development of the project and the player experience in the long run. Thus, we initially refrained from sharing the bigger plan as it’s still in its earliest stage and at this very moment there are no observable benefits from it, but in the future, it opens several doors.

However, before we dig deeper into the global cooldown change, we would like to talk about the reasoning behind the bigger effort on the ability system and how that helps with future development and faster release of content in the future.
  • Easier way to recreate dungeon boss abilities, creature abilities and item related abilities
Lastly, we’d like to reassure you that we constantly strive to make the game better, create content, ease future development and bug fixing, however the tools that we have in hand are very limited and even created by our team over the years. Which is why some changes are introduced after many years of preparations. Moving forward, we will make sure to communicate game-changing implementations properly and firmly through our Community Management team.
Big changes have had, in my opinion, always an impact on the playerbase (e. g. nerfed buttons, GCD, cities, war crests). Even though they were often met with mixed resistance or enthusiasm from the playerbase, they were made in the hope to better the game for the future.
I in particular had personal problems with - not limited to but in specific - the GCD change. It made the game feel slower and more sluggish. But good reasons, like the evening out between players with higer and lower pings, were given so that rewards of this very change could be reaped in the future.

What is not sitting well with me however is that after 6 months, I have yet to see a clear improvement for the game made from this very change.
Ability changes in the past 6 months (and even before) have probably been at an all-time low. Here are some examples:

Engineer (17/08/22)
- Steam Vent is now dealing corporeal damage like tooltip states, previously it was doing physical damage.

Swordmaster (27/05/22)

White lion (18/05/22)
- Cleave Limb: Corrected Action Point cost to match tooltip value (from 25 to 30)

- Primal Fury: Corrected Action Point cost to match tooltip value (from 40 to 45)

Most of the patch notes between now and the implementation of the GCD change did not contain any changes that regard game abilities (or other mentioned improvements on the game as stated above).

What I would like to have clarified is that if we are still in the "early stages" and are "several doors" still to be "opened"?
Because what it feels to me right now is that a controverse, playerbase-splitting game change has been made with an argument for a better future in the game which after half a year of waiting I still have yet to see.

Regards
Skellt
I think most of your questions got answered here in case you missed it:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49541

But maybe not :)
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

kolybri

Post#134 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:29 am

BluIzLucky wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:49 pm
kolybri wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:47 pm
Spoiler:
Dear Max, dear Dev-Team,

Engineer (17/08/22)

Swordmaster (27/05/22)

White lion (18/05/22)

Regards
Skellt
I think most of your questions got answered here in case you missed it:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49541

But maybe not :)
Thanks for the link, I was not aware of that. That absolutely clears up my concern and leaves me hopeful for the coming months!