Recent Topics

Ads

New Gaming PC for WAR

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
tdelesio

New Gaming PC for WAR

Post#1 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:47 pm

I'm in the market for a new work laptop. I pretty much have full control over getting mostly anything. I do enjoy playing WAR and I really don't know much about hardware. Figure someone could probably advise better. I was thinking of getting a razer blade 14 (https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Ra ... 7NEA3-R3U1). It has a 3070 TI graphics card. Will this scream in WAR even during large WB engagements or will it still be a slide show? I'm currently running on an old Lenovo X1 Carbon (2 core i7 @ 2.10 GHz, Intel HD Graphics 1GB). It gets the jobs done, but it stutters a lot even with the settings tuned toward speed. I would imagine this is leaps and bounds better but will it make a big difference? Any other recommendations I should consider?

Ads
Rydiak

Re: New Gaming PC for WAR

Post#2 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:15 pm

Single-thread CPU performance is the single most important thing in WAR/RoR. The engine is too old to use even a fraction of modern GPU power, let alone all the multiple cores/threads that modern CPUs have available.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

b00n

Post#3 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:42 pm

yes CPU Single Core Performance is the most important. I for example upgraded from Ryzen 2700x to 5600x and it was a big difference. From in forts lagfest ~10fps to atleast 30fps

BluIzLucky

Post#4 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:37 pm

If you are primarily buying for this game in mind and have a budget limit of 2.5k:
https://laptopmedia.com/specs/?q=&hPP=2 ... 00H&is_v=1
There's HK and HX versions with slight improvements, but much pricier.

I'd probably grab the ASUS ROG Strix SCAR 17
(+45% single core, but only +20% if you are planning on overclocking over the Razor you linked)

If you are not looking for pure performance, you could pay premium for more "professional" looks for taking it to the office with something like Razer Blade Stealth 13
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

tdelesio

Post#5 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:21 pm

Thanks for the responses. For me, a smaller screen size is better. I travel a good amount and my 17" is too big/heavy right now. The 14 (or even the 13) looks like the better option. I'm not buying it purely for WAR, but it is a consideration. I would think even with the razer I linked, 1 of the 8 cores is still going to be at least double what I have now (from 2.1GHz to almost 5). The stealth 13 looks good, but I feel like I'm giving up a lot for it.

Detangler

Post#6 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:03 pm

I bought me an alienware m17 r4 for like 2200 or somethin like that. Was it the absolute best bang for my buck with specs vs price? probably not, but it plays this game liquid smooth even in huge fort battles with full effects. Zero regrets
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable