Recent Topics

Ads

[Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
xpander
Community Management

Re: [Linux] How To Install Return of Reckoning

Post#311 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 am

Why so many specific things? :D
FSR doesn't change anything for this old game for example, unless your GPU is from ancient era. Game barely uses any GPU to begin with. Anisotropic filtering you can max out (16) easily with any GPU without affecting perf.

I also wouldn't use DXVK_ASYNC as its unofficial hack. Yes, it may reduce some of the stuttering, but it could also lead to false rendering. cause DXVK ASYNC doesn't wait for shader, but compiles them asynchronosly which can lead to some objects not being rendered for 1 or 2 frames.

DXVK 2.0 has graphics pipeline library. If your drivers support it, it makes the shader compile smooth. nvidia supports it since June vulkan dev drivers. RADV i think has the support in experiemental atm.

but yeah, if you don't want to use lutris then all you need is to install dotnet40 d3dx9_34 with winetricks and drop a DXVK into the prefix also

edit: My response was just because not everything you mention there is needed. Unless theres some bugs with Arch kernels i doubt you will gain much from it. Ofc its always fun to experiment with different kernel schedulers. I myself using the PDS kernels. But for the most part with everything Arch Default you will get very similar performance. Tweaking a lot can ofc yield like up to 5% more perf in some situations etc but overall, not much. CPU singlethread perf is the thing that affects the performance the most in this game
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Ads
malark

Post#312 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:12 am

xpander wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 am Why so many specific things? :D
FSR doesn't change anything for this old game for example, unless your GPU is from ancient era. Game barely uses any GPU to begin with. Anisotropic filtering you can max out (16) easily with any GPU without affecting perf.

I also wouldn't use DXVK_ASYNC as its unofficial hack. Yes, it may reduce some of the stuttering, but it could also lead to false rendering. cause DXVK ASYNC doesn't wait for shader, but compiles them asynchronosly which can lead to some objects not being rendered for 1 or 2 frames.

DXVK 2.0 has graphics pipeline library. If your drivers support it, it makes the shader compile smooth. nvidia supports it since June vulkan dev drivers. RADV i think has the support in experiemental atm.

but yeah, if you don't want to use lutris then all you need is to install dotnet40 d3dx9_34 with winetricks and drop a DXVK into the prefix also

edit: My response was just because not everything you mention there is needed. Unless theres some bugs with Arch kernels i doubt you will gain much from it. Ofc its always fun to experiment with different kernel schedulers. I myself using the PDS kernels. But for the most part with everything Arch Default you will get very similar performance. Tweaking a lot can ofc yield like up to 5% more perf in some situations etc but overall, not much. CPU singlethread perf is the thing that affects the performance the most in this game
things might be a bit different on AMD I guess, I notice a difference doing most of the things i've mentioned in the post, probably adds up to more than 5% especially when lots of players are around or in dungeons like bilerot and it hasn't crashed on me once with that setup. Mesa-git used to have problems with stability but as of lately it's great. I might try doing a capture just to show it the game is actually quite pretty and smooth. I have thought about trying the graphic pipeline stuff but I think mesa needs a specific patch for it to work with DXVK and i'm not sure it's stable yet for AMD. Definitely not trying to diss your guide it's very comprehensive and helped me thanks.

I coulda sworn there didn't used to be waraddonclient when I first read it, that looks awesome i've always been terrible setting up addons.

I also forgot one last thing, you will probably see performance improvement from disabling transparent hugepages:

as root in a terminal to try:
echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
echo never > /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/defrag

xpander
Community Management

Post#313 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:09 pm

Hehe, Its fine. Would be nice to make a list of known tweaks that help improve the perf a bit more on different configurations. But thats a huge task and Linux is rapidly evolving with the gaming side of software and drivers, so the tweaks you do today might not be available or are default next week :)
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

malark

Post#314 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:05 pm

EDITED: because I was totally wrong
Last edited by malark on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

malark

Post#315 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:44 am

a recent change to mesa source left me needing to revert this one for the game to boot up with gpl enabled (even though it doesn't actually get enabled):

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/ ... eebeb199b8
Last edited by malark on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

malark

Post#316 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:35 am

heh I just noticed graphics pipeline isn't actually working, oh well back to async I guess
not sure what the deal is, it seems like the issue was reported a few months ago and the option mentioned was enabled but this bug was never fixed

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/7512

tabrys

Post#317 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:03 pm

Had an issue with the launcher being unable to download the XML file and the 'connect' button remaining greyed out - on Debian raw/icmp packets cannot be created by unprivileged users, to change this the best option is to do what other distributions do and use the following sysctl:

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv4.ping_group_range="0 2147483647"

This is of course ephemeral, and the usual standard way to make it permament via /etc/sysctl.d/ can be used.

Florian90210

Post#318 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:55 pm

Is anybody tested more versions of wine? Which is faster? I tried to change it to newer one and performance was really bad.

Ads
sancra

Post#319 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:04 pm

I have tested various versions of tkg and protonGE with success, I'm using version 8.14 and it run smoothly

PeanutHamper

Post#320 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:04 am

I can't run the game on Linux. I followed the install guide. I had to disable DXVK to get the launcher to start. The launcher starts, but when I press connect the launcher reappears after a couple seconds and the game doesn't run.

Here is the logs from lutris.

Code: Select all

Started initial process 162093 from /home/<name>/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64/bin/wine /home/<name>/Games/warhammer-online-return-of-reckoning/drive_c/Return_of_Reckoning/RoRLauncher.exe
Start monitoring process.
fsync: warning: a previous shm file /wine-fc1098-fsync was not properly removed
fsync: up and running.
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available.
Caption = C:
DeviceId = C:
DriveType = 3
FileSystem = NTFS
FreeSpace = 355816390656
Name = C:
Size = 82252800000
VolumeName = 
VolumeSerialNumber = F910B99D
RAM #1:
BankLabel = BANK 0
Capacity = 61839179776
Caption = Physical Memory
ConfiguredClockSpeed = 1600
DeviceLocator = DIMM 0
FormFactor = 8
MemoryType = 9
PartNumber = 
SerialNumber = 
---------------------------------
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 00000000 at address 0079D779 (thread 015c), starting debugger...