Recent Topics

Ads

Texture update?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Tesq

Re: Texture update?

Post#11 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 pm

Amdus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:07 pm
Whyumadbro wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:57 pm nah its not possible
It is entirely possible to modify anything.
Only on paper for what i red once games need to be design fron the scratch to use multicore simultaneously.

Ads
Whyumadbro

Post#12 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:41 pm

im no dev or even have knowledge in this field - but i can say that a texture update will never happen - too few devs

Amdus

Post#13 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pm

Tesq wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 pm
Whyumadbro wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:57 pm nah its not possible
Only on paper for what i red once games need to be design fron the scratch to use multicore simultaneously.
Well, if things are broken by default and you want to improve them, you sort of have to do it from the "scratch".
Whyumadbro wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:41 pm im no dev or even have knowledge in this field - but i can say that a texture update will never happen - too few devs
I don't like making assumptions. But a texture update could take less than a week with an enthusiastic team. I have upgraded textures for some games myself and it doesn't take that much, especially if we're talking about a resize in example. Turning a texture that's 512x512 to a 1024x1024 doesn't take more than an hour to make it decent. Some things need emergency upgrades, others can still survive a bit longer.

Tesq

Post#14 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:17 pm

Amdus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pm
Tesq wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 pm

Well, if things are broken by default and you want to improve them, you sort of have to do it from the "scratch".
Whyumadbro wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:41 pm im no dev or even have knowledge in this field - but i can say that a texture update will never happen - too few devs
I don't like making assumptions. But a texture update could take less than a week with an enthusiastic team. I have upgraded textures for some games myself and it doesn't take that much, especially if we're talking about a resize in example. Turning a texture that's 512x512 to a 1024x1024 doesn't take more than an hour to make it decent. Some things need emergency upgrades, others can still survive a bit longer.
It's not like build from scratch a single part of the engine more likely for what i understand the whole game litteraly. The texture update is likely more do-able but the engine that have to run them remain the same. Would probable easier change engine..where easier mean shittons of immaginable work.

Omegus

Post#15 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:31 pm

Amdus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pmI don't like making assumptions. But a texture update could take less than a week with an enthusiastic team. I have upgraded textures for some games myself and it doesn't take that much, especially if we're talking about a resize in example. Turning a texture that's 512x512 to a 1024x1024 doesn't take more than an hour to make it decent. Some things need emergency upgrades, others can still survive a bit longer.
Of course, this is assuming that the engine doesn't have any hard-coded limitations or assumptions of the maximum size of textures, that Mythic's unique texture format which seems to stream in parts of textures in chunks (I've only done very limited poking for this) won't break, that the performance cost of streaming in textures 4 times as large (excluding mipmaps, 512x512 to 1024x1024 is 4 times as many pixels) won't cause large fights to grind to a halt while the game is trying to transfer loads more data across to the GPU that it's not that well optimised to do so, that it's possible to easily turn on/off the modified textures for people running on potatoes, that the devs have enough time to upscale and check the approx. 60k textures used, and that they have the financial means to distribute such a huge download when they currently struggle to provide reliable ways of directly downloading the client.

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Fenris78

Post#16 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:39 pm

You cannot make the game working on multicore without basically rewriting entire engine from scratch.

About textures, well, il all depends on :
- If devs have access to all textures (whole chunks of engine are still encrypted afaik)
- If CPU is able to properly handle a huge load of work ; remember this game doesnt rely heavily upon GPU, so I dont know how far we can go with upscaling ; if that mean more load to an already overloaded single CPU thread, it will be bad for everyone.
Unless you can be sure the workload will only be upon GPU alone, there is no real improvement by upscaling textures.

In cave it can be done, I agree now with AI and upscaling algorithms, going from 512 to 1024 or 2048 wont be a huge challenge or ultra time-consuming (provided you can work textures by batches and not one by one, ofc :p ).