Recent Topics

Ads

Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Let's talk about... everything else
Valfaros

Re: Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Post#11 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:58 am

In which universe is 100 ms anything but terrible? I get that it is like that currently in NA but since most players are in EU this makes little sense to me.

May I ask where you are based? Cause that sounds like "I am annoyed by the lag" lets annoy the majority of players instead.

Edit. Ah yeah that is exactly what it is....

Ads
cromathor

Re: Why not move the server to NA? It would remain playable for EU and improve the experience for a lot of people

Post#12 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:50 am

I play from NA and there isn't a ping issue with the French server at all.

A lot of EU players seem to believe that the ping would shoot to 600 if it was hosted in America. It wouldn't, but im sure there's plenty of other issues that come from hosting in the US, or really just migrating the host servers at all, that people don't eant to need to deal with.

zgolec

Post#13 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:34 am

NA time server is almost dead.

Prime time of server is EU.

What would be one good reason to move it?
To please 30 people and piss everyone else? :P KEK
SM 82 / IB 82 / KOTBS 82 / WL 82 / WP 72 / SW 75
CH 77 / BG 6X / BO 6X / WE 6X / MAG 6X ...and others.

TrainInVain

Post#14 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:17 pm

Devs have said its in France for legal reasons. GW can't shut the server down in France, but would be able to in NA or the rest of Europe.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#15 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:59 pm

TrainInVain wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:17 pm Devs have said its in France for legal reasons. GW can't shut the server down in France, but would be able to in NA or the rest of Europe.
That's not the case at all. It's in France because the early team was French and we don't have any reason to move it.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Stonal

Post#16 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:54 pm

*Cries in OCE*

Searrs

Post#17 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:58 am

the "pRiMe tImE is EU tImE" argument holds very little weight. most ppl play from EU because its a lower latency experience. Shift the server to another region and you would see more ppl from that region play. I for example WOULD play more for sure if this game was closer to OCE - but i understand the best i can hope for even with a server location change (or even another server) would be 200ms. I'm fine with that, thats life.. i cant have everything fall my way.

lemao

Post#18 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:57 am

Searrs wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:58 am the "pRiMe tImE is EU tImE" argument holds very little weight. most ppl play from EU because its a lower latency experience. Shift the server to another region and you would see more ppl from that region play. I for example WOULD play more for sure if this game was closer to OCE - but i understand the best i can hope for even with a server location change (or even another server) would be 200ms. I'm fine with that, thats life.. i cant have everything fall my way.
Big Copium right there, nah it wouldnt shift much, EU playerbase is just much larger in general.

Ads
Ballwinkle

Post#19 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 am

Thing is I used to get 80+ ping to the Europe servers when I was in Europe back then, it was fine. Internet pings have got a lot better now the world has moved to fiber.

MaxHayman
Management

Post#20 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:02 am

So there are a few reasons why the server is in Europe.

- Our provider at the time only had Datacentres in France at the time (and had possibly recently opened in Canada with limited models).

- All of the original team were located in Europe.

Over the years there have been many points.

- Bandwith was often much more expensive. (But not as high as Australia)

- We have had a larger playerbase in Europe prime time than USA prime time, and therefore on average ping would be worse for players.

- The world isn't divided up evenly. So there is a greater population to serve.

- Regarding Australia, peering isn't great. Which I've read is becasue Telstra controls around 50% of the market. Cloudflare did a good writeup here.

- All of our infrastructure is already in Europe, including 5 Bare-metal Servers, a few VPSs and offsite backup solutions. Moving is would take time and more money as we would have to have both environments up while we migrate.

- CLOUD Act, gives U.S. law enforcement authorities the power to request data stored by United States operated cloud providers.

If we the population grew to a state which could sustain 2 servers, I expect the other would be in the States or Canada. Ideally we would want cross-server scenarios and other things before we did this, and we are moving closer to this when systems are rewritten. Additionally, a longer term super side project I am working on is the ability to proxy connections to offload encryption and certian data to be processed away from the main game simulation, although the main simulation isn't distributed. This could possibly allow different part of the game world to exist in different parts of our world. However, this thing sits on the backburner most of the time. Ideally during the hours the game server which handles the simulation could move round the world as the prime time moves, that would a fun experiment.

Myhic ran their game servers with a much-much slower tickrate than we do, so the experience back then would have been possibly closer having an NA ping, when playing from the same region. We could possibly move our tickrate closer to what Mythic had, perhaps we can experiment with that one day, it might put everyone at a closer level.

Hopefully they can start putting fibre through the centre of the earth in the future.
Max Hayman