Recent Topics

Ads

[Mac OS] How to Install Return of Reckoning V.2

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Specialpatrol

Re: [Mac OS] How to Install Return of Reckoning V.2

Post#11 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 am

BluIzLucky wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:43 am I had to use the 32 bit bottle for PlayOnMac (which should be the same as CrossOver), it didn't seem to download the right stuff on 64 bit version.
Just tried making a Win7 32-bit bottle and going through the process again - same result. In the "run Command" window I click "Save Command as Launcher", it creates a RoRLauncher shortcut in Crossover, I click "Run" - and nothing happens. Damnit.
APONYMOUS l WP l R40 l RR8X
BRAKEDOWN l KOTBS l R40 l RR8X
BOILING l BW l R40 l RR8X
PUFFED l SLY l R40 l RR8X
RHYTHM l AM l R40 l RR8X
EEWULL l DOK l R3X l RR4X

Ads
gyps

Post#12 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Specialpatrol wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 am
BluIzLucky wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:43 am I had to use the 32 bit bottle for PlayOnMac (which should be the same as CrossOver), it didn't seem to download the right stuff on 64 bit version.
Just tried making a Win7 32-bit bottle and going through the process again - same result. In the "run Command" window I click "Save Command as Launcher", it creates a RoRLauncher shortcut in Crossover, I click "Run" - and nothing happens. Damnit.
Ok seems like .NET is giving some errors with wine.....I tried to reinstall it a couple of times, this time after every install of .Net 2, 2sp, 4, 4 extended I clicked on the "restart now" button...and now seems to work? could you try it again?

Specialpatrol

Post#13 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:29 pm

gyps wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:15 pm
Specialpatrol wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 am
Ok seems like .NET is giving some errors with wine.....I tried to reinstall it a couple of times, this time after every install of .Net 2, 2sp, 4, 4 extended I clicked on the "restart now" button...and now seems to work? could you try it again?
Tried that, but didn't do anything - launcher still shuts down 1-2 secs after running it (no error messages).

As far as I can tell, my issue seems identical to this, which you also responded to (copy-pasted from Delegator's guide):

gyps wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:38 pm
azazelios21 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:47 am hello , I am using crossover 22 and I tried everything on the guide but the RORlauncher doesn't launch :(
I tried using windows 7 64 bit wine and a windows 10 64 bit wine same issue behaviour
I also tried downloading the game files September 2022 direct download which runs out of the box on my windows pc but on Crossover 22 doesn't open again
I have tried installing directx 9 before and after and also try without installing it , same result the RORlauncher refuses to open
also I tried installing net framework separately but says net 4 is already installed so I tried 4.8 and installed it but no luck
I can play other windows games such as Elders scrolls arena downloaded from GOG so I do not know what I am doing wrong :(
any help guys ?
if the launcher is not popping up I'd say its a .NET problem.

Step by Step should be:
Create the Win 7 64 bits bottle
Install directx for modern games from Crossover's software list.
Net installs beginning from 2.0, 2.0 service pack, 4 extended and 4.0 in a brand new bottle always from Crossover's software list.
Copy / Paste RoR folder inside Bottle C: Drive

And thats it, if you want contact me in the discord server im Gyps in there (Isra#8522)

I've tried your step-by-step guide listed above as well - but sadly to no avail.

I've tried several Bottle setups (Win7 64-bit, Win10 64-bit as well as Win7 32-bit). From Crossover's list, I've tried installing DirectX For Modern Games first, installing Net Framework 4 first, installing .Net 4.6.2 and 4.8, installing Net 2 / SP2 / Net 4 individually (I can't seem to find Net 4 Extended on Crossover's list - so assume it's included in their Net 4 bundle). I've tried downloading and installing Net 4 as well as Net 4.8 from Microsoft. I've tried installing DirectX 9c from the downloaded RoR-folder (September2022 version) - yet nothing seems to do the trick.

In the 64-bit versions, I encountered several identical error messages when installing Net 4, saying: "The program mscorsvw.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close” - no matter if I installed it before or after DirectX For Modern Games. However, I didn't get this error message when I installed Net 4 in the Win7 32-bit bottle. For a second, I thought that error might be the culprit - but, alas and as mentioned, I couldn't get the game to launch in Win7 32-bit either.

I've also tried Delegator's guide, where you download and run the RoRInstaller.exe file. That works right up to the point where I try to run the RoRLauncher from that download.

The guy I quoted above seemed to solve his similar issues, following your guide - so I'm not ready to give up, as I feel it should be able to work. But I'm more or less at my wits end, so any other ideas to what is causing the game not to launch at my end? What am I missing?

For the record, my specs are:
iMac, Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017
- Processor: 4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
- Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8GB
- Memory: 64 GB DDR4

Don't think it should matter, but I also have a 100 GB Windows 10 partition, which I'm currently using to run the game - and which I would very much like to eliminate.
RHYTHM l AM l R40 l RR8X

gyps

Post#14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:49 pm

I keep believing its a .Net problem, try it this way.

Open Crossover, click install, browse ".Net 4" and when it asks where you want to install it select "New bottle" then proceed to select the win 7 64 bits. This would be a different method to create a bottle, rather than create the bottle and then start adding software to it.

First two .net will install fine, then it will install .Net 4 and extended (its a bundle) and the errors you mentioned will pop, just click close each time (I counted 4 of them)

This is the result:

Perhaps there's something messing around when you create first the bottle and then install it afterwards..tried to contact you in discord but you were not available, let me know how it goes :)

Specialpatrol

Post#15 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:00 pm

gyps wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:49 pm I keep believing its a .Net problem, try it this way.

Open Crossover, click install, browse ".Net 4" and when it asks where you want to install it select "New bottle" then proceed to select the win 7 64 bits. This would be a different method to create a bottle, rather than create the bottle and then start adding software to it.

First two .net will install fine, then it will install .Net 4 and extended (its a bundle) and the errors you mentioned will pop, just click close each time (I counted 4 of them)

This is the result:

Perhaps there's something messing around when you create first the bottle and then install it afterwards..tried to contact you in discord but you were not available, let me know how it goes :)
It sounds very plausible that it's related to .Net - but I've tried various versions, both from Crossover's software list and directly downloaded from Microsoft, in various bottles and none of them seems to "fix" it. I also tried your suggestion above - with the same end result. When I try to launch the game, the game client pops up in my dock for a few seconds and then closes down with no error messages or anything. It's almost like something isn't connecting as it should. Bummer :( Are there any firewalls or something like that on Mac, that I'm not aware of?

I also replied to you in Discord with a bit more details, so check that when you get the time.

And thanks for your help in trying to figure this out!
RHYTHM l AM l R40 l RR8X

xpander
Community Management

Post#16 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:57 am

Is PlayOnMac (PlayOnLinux) still available? It used to be a thing on Mac/Linux good few years ago. If its still around, maybe try with this. Its basically a wine manager.

Does Mac have winetricks and regular wine? you could use terminal to create a prefix for RoR then to try it manually.

something like:

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wineboot -u
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix winetricks dotnet40 d3dx9_34
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wine /path/to/RoRLauncher.exe
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

FuatKoseoglu

Post#17 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:28 pm

xpander wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:57 am Is PlayOnMac (PlayOnLinux) still available? It used to be a thing on Mac/Linux good few years ago. If its still around, maybe try with this. Its basically a wine manager.

Does Mac have winetricks and regular wine? you could use terminal to create a prefix for RoR then to try it manually.

something like:

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wineboot -u
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix winetricks dotnet40 d3dx9_34
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix wine /path/to/RoRLauncher.exe
It would be amazing if we can add it to playonmac site

FuatKoseoglu

Post#18 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:39 pm

I have managed to do it without Crossover or PlayOnMac using Wineskin.

First I had my ROR in a ZIP file from my Windows machine. Extract it to any folder on your mac.

Follow this but always go for the most updated one(the one on top and 64 bit). Beware that some of the button locations have changed but they are still on the same page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-nAcGyO8m4

Instead of selecting install select move existing folder and select your folder "Return of Reckoning"

Then go to Winetricks and install
d3dx9 and dotnet40 (exact ones) it should appear when you type them in your search box.
Select RORLauncher.exe to launch on your Wineskin. Nothing else is needed.

Tried on M1 Max macOS Monterey 12.6.2
3456 x 2160 resolution + fastest framerate. All good +30 fps(main city). I will be lowering the resolution. Little bit shutter when loading assets.

Way easier and free compared to Crossover.

Ads
NikolaP

Post#19 » Tue May 16, 2023 4:50 pm

The install worked perfect for me on my old mac pro 5.1 with ios Mojave.
So now its playable, tho i have some lagg/freeze issues.
My computer is pretty solid, when game works and im in capital city everything is at below 10% stresslvl but still i have some lagg.

Anyone have some tips what to do for the game to run smoother?
Done everything here in the guide :(
Thanks for the help!!

gyps

Post#20 » Sat May 20, 2023 10:57 pm

NikolaP wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:50 pm The install worked perfect for me on my old mac pro 5.1 with ios Mojave.
So now its playable, tho i have some lagg/freeze issues.
My computer is pretty solid, when game works and im in capital city everything is at below 10% stresslvl but still i have some lagg.

Anyone have some tips what to do for the game to run smoother?
Done everything here in the guide :(
Thanks for the help!!
I've tried many different things and none seems to improve much, lately I've been playing with CSMT and high resolution on (btw that option + graphics to the max makes the game looks beautifull xD)

Hopefully with the new version of Crossover to be released by the end of the year we should see some improvements for dx9 32bits games, not running anymore with wined3d+OpenGL but with a Vulkan wined3d backend.

And yes, there are alternatives and free options for everyone, Crossover is just specialized software with a friendly interface and its using WINE with some customs patches and stuff, you can build your own version of Wine or either use CXWINE. Codeweavers anyway supports heavily WINE so..im ok with that :)