Recent Topics

Ads

Modern Games (and why i dont play them)

Talk about things which are not related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
phononHYPE

Re: Modern Games (and why i dont play them)

Post#21 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:06 pm

DonZeref wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 pm Unfortunately, now there are only fans who create mods , add-ons, and even remasters of various games from the 90s. There is still hope.
I believe I read an article a few months back (no citation, sorry), where some games where planned to have fans make mods. Having a strategy where you target audience finishes your product,basically.

I'm happy playing older games, there are a ton of good ones and will keep me happy for a long time. By then the 'new' games will be old and will have been sorted/sifted through for the actual decent ones, and then I can get them free or on the cheep. Heck, I still have old CD cases full of PS2 games I haven't finished, a few I haven't played too. And I play this lovely game to no ends. I'm in no rush to go start something fancy.

Ashes of Creation looks nice, I'll watch a few Twich play through or YT character creation, but I don't need all that. Other new and incredibly hyped games like the one from Amazon (no, I'm not even going to bother looking up the name), is just giant companies jumping on the gamer-train. I'm sure it will be beautiful and cool, and will be designed to such the life ($$) right out of you. Companies like Blizzard, Bio-ware, Amazon, etc, are bottom line companies. I'll try to avoid them whenever I can. Something like Ashes seems legit for gamers, by gamers, and that alone may get me to check it out (contradicting what I said above).

Really, from my POV, the modern world (insert rose-colored glasses here) is not a great place for long-term creative and interesting game companies. There will always be gems that are to be found, like our beloved RoR, but they are harder and harder to find.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

Ads
Arbich
Suspended

Post#22 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:22 pm

Games probably "suffer" from the same fate movies suffered from before them and books even before them.

There is only a limited amount of ways to tell a story and all ways are maybe already explored.
Look at a movie like 12 angry men. It has a production value of 0,00 $, arguably suffers from some overacting and you still have to consider it (even as non-avantgardist 😊 ) as one of the greatest movies of all time with countless movies after it copying it.

I don't play that many games, but would say that most of the "newer" best games are the latest releases of a games series (total war, fallout etc.), which basically means making a not so new concept better and sometimes the companies fail with that. So there seems to be a lack of new innovative games, because maybe everything imaginable was already done.

Let's see if VR games will reinvigorate the creativity in game design.

Get ready for your eXistenZ plugin 2022.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Detangler

Post#23 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 pm

There's still plenty of fun games out there. I just picked up State of Decay 2 and am having a ton of fun playing this zombie survival game, dodging hordes and scavenging dilapidated houses for supplies to keep my tiny little settlement going (still too scared to try lethal mode... yet) Its true a lot of games copy each other - mobile gaming especially so. Thst doesn't mean that there aren't some hidden gems out there. Just gotta dig a little deeper.

As for game developer microtransaction trends, what do you expect? AAA Game development gets more and more expensive, yet games have been priced at 60 bucks since... original X Box days? They've gotta come up with cash somehow.

That being said, there's finding additional revenue streams, outright greed, and then there's EA Sports - that company has no excuse for charging that price for a roster update and a menu makeover.
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

pixelnomad

Post#24 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 am

Solmangrundy wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:27 pm Games turning into mirrors of Gambling sites with mirco transactions

Classic games getting "remade" into broken messes.

Did like all the game devs from the 90's and 2000's just drop dead?

because lmao Blizzard defiantly isn't the Blizzard we grew up with, same could be said about almost all game corporations these days, but Blizzards recent blunder with breaking old wc3 Bnet has got everyone just trashing the crap out of them.
Yes I totally agree, this is mostly about mobile games, and large "AAA" studios like Ubisoft.

They just turn games into a store.

It's just outrageous.
As for mobile games, I'm ready to buy good projects, because free is advertising, or overloaded interface with a ton of donation, "buy this" "buy this", ten kinds of in-game currency, 90% of which is donate or its derivatives.

It's not clear what will happen to games in the future.