Recent Topics

Ads

[General] Morale Damage

Proposals after the two week discussion period will be moved to this sub-forum for internal review.
Tesq

Re: [General] Morale Damage

Post#51 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:43 am

saupreusse wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am Just a very short idea from me.
I believe that one of the things that made M2 bombing so powerful is that all the Morals are instant casts so they kinda come out of nowhere. Ofc you can try to predict the timeframe in which the enemy might have M2 up. Other games like Guild wars work a lot with ground indicators to give players a chance to react to possible AOE bombing by displaying the Area a few moments before the attack hits. Now I dont say that implementing this exact system here will work nor do i know if its even possible. But the idea of having a warning sign before the train hits you might be something thats worth thinking about.

Edit: I also liked the idea of having Moral bubbles absorb moral dmg. Maybe a warning system combined with a morale bubble could create some challenging experience, where you have to react quickly to countermorale the enemies M2 attack.
So sonething like a cast time with vfx, just i think bad abd here ppl are defending mostly their own interest, again current systemjust gona cut out m4 because those who drop morales first and well win and m2-m3 is enough.

Ads
roadkillrobin

Post#52 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:48 am

Question is, as there are only 4 Morale slots, would people actually run Morale boubles rather then a dps morale? Imo it's more effective to kill of the enemie with morale dmg as defense rather then using any defense tools to try and keep people up. I don't think anyone would use the boubles in the end as it's still more effective to just kill the threat.

Dammy095

Post#53 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 am

ye, lets counter rain and destruction with raze

Cimba

Post#54 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:26 pm

As long as there is direct morale damage I dont think morale shields would work because the defender would need to use them preemptively. An attacker could simply wait them out or shut it down with undefenable m4 knockdowns.

I am also not sure if morale damage is even needed in this game. It was argued that you need it to break extended stalemates. I would argue that they're at least partly the cause for stalemates.
Why do you have stalemates? Because your offensive cant overcame your opponents defensive. Except you have morale damage which offers a convient way around it by not scaling with anything and being undefenable. Problem is now that when the fight deciding skill doesn't scale with anything you've also lost all incentive to stack/play anything but defensive. Which results in two groups of deftards facing each other while having zero potential/interest to kill each other outside of morale dumps.

You can observe this in WB scale fights. Morale damage has reached critical mass and everything outside of defensive stacking (Wounds) is irrelevant, as I believe was pointed out in this thread already. In this sense smaller scale fights are currently a lot better balanced where morale dumps are used but its not the only viable strategy.

In order to break these kind of deftard ciricles I think would be beneficial if direct morale damage abilities were redesigned to scale of the player attributes/skill. This could take the shape of roadkillrobins proposal with a complete redesign of the abilites (which i think would be awesome but incredibly time consuming). Or simply linking the amount of morale damage you do to your offensive stat, so that a deftard IB doesnt suddenly hit you like a truck.

anarchypark

Post#55 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm

I wanna see every morale to be defensive one.
no more 5sec death.
more formation, more assist, more coordinate
but that's just my style.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

notre

Post#56 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi,
Just a reminder (sure you already know and notice that):
This game has PvE too (I thinking mostly on dungeons & lairs),
because some skills maybe need to "life together" with PvE content.
8x -> Zealot
7x -> Magus, rSH, Sorcerer, Shammy Heal, mSH
6x -> Shammy dps
5x -> DoK , Wich Elf, Choppa, Chosen, BWizard
4x -> Mara
3x -> BG, Zealot dps
2x -> BO, 3rd Shammy

peterthepan3

Post#57 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:17 pm

anarchypark wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm I wanna see every morale to be defensive one.
no more 5sec death.
You can already avoid these '5 second deaths' by stacking wounds and honing your situational awareness.

I believe damage morales are essential in a large-scale RvR game in order to help smaller groups/WBs against larger odds, to push funnels, add some spice into stalemates, etc.

Acidic

Post#58 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:22 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:17 pm
anarchypark wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm I wanna see every morale to be defensive one.
no more 5sec death.
You can already avoid these '5 second deaths' by stacking wounds and honing your situational awareness.

I believe damage morales are essential in a large-scale RvR game in order to help smaller groups/WBs against larger odds, to push funnels, add some spice into stalemates, etc.
Unfortunately large groups use damage morals as well at which point the smaller group is completely chanceles
If u mean organized humiliating pug yes damage morals help with that

Ads
roadkillrobin

Post#59 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm

no more 5sec death.

The original intent of morale dmg was moastly a meassure to deal with lvl and gear imbalances that would accure if one guild had all the best geared players and would dominate everyone else due to simple having better gear and and higher stats then everyone else. So it's implemented to simply give lowbies a chance against the top coz morale dmg doesn't care about stats/gear.

Acidic

Post#60 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:33 pm

roadkillrobin wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm
no more 5sec death.

The original intent of morale dmg was moastly a meassure to deal with lvl and gear imbalances that would accure if one guild had all the best geared players and would dominate everyone else due to simple having better gear and and higher stats then everyone else. So it's implemented to simply give lowbies a chance against the top coz morale dmg doesn't care about stats/gear.
Don’t doubt it but not all design decisions are good ones, basically the morals are a simple to use high reward low risk , low investment tool which insta kills groups when used with just a little coordination.