Recent Topics

Ads

[ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.6

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Talladego

Re: [ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.6

Post#131 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:59 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:27 pm True. But I'm not talking about real life because it's beyond the scope of this topic. I'm talking about this game. I don't know why you thought otherwise.
Well you referred to equal opportunity in real life in your earlier post but whatever.
Scottx125 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:27 pm And no, this is not about fixing anything. If you hit your ability when an enemy already has an immunity applied and you fire that ability, that's your fault. You failed to take into account that the target has immunity and made a mistake. You should learn to read what buffs/debuffs a target has and not waste abilities by spamming mindlessly. It's not the games job to babysit what abilities you do and don't press. That's up to you.
Actually this is more of a design issue.
There are already a number of actions that won't fire if the target isn't suitable for said action or it's condition isn't fulfilled.
Like cleanse, shatter, ressurect, reactionary attacks (parry/block/disrupt), behind attacks, Juggernaut.

On top of that for some classes (KotBS) punt abilities are greyed out if the target is immovable and even gives an error message ("Target can not be knocked back again so soon!") but fire anyway.
(Not sure if this was how punts originally behaved on live or if it's some remnant code that should have been removed.)

So it seems the original devs made various arbitrary decisions on what abilities should be conditionally blocked and not (i.e. "babysits" abilities for you).

And most importantly they added the API to enable addon development to extend and improve on the whole player experience, like this addon aims to do.

This addon just adds the option for anyone to block other abilities in a similar fashion, if you choose to use it.

Ads
Scottx125

Post#132 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:15 am

Talladego wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:59 pm

Well you referred to equal opportunity in real life in your earlier post but whatever.

Actually this is more of a design issue.
There are already a number of actions that won't fire if the target isn't suitable for said action or it's condition isn't fulfilled.
Like cleanse, shatter, ressurect, reactionary attacks (parry/block/disrupt), behind attacks, Juggernaut.

On top of that for some classes (KotBS) punt abilities are greyed out if the target is immovable and even gives an error message ("Target can not be knocked back again so soon!") but fire anyway.
(Not sure if this was how punts originally behaved on live or if it's some remnant code that should have been removed.)

So it seems the original devs made various arbitrary decisions on what abilities should be conditionally blocked and not (i.e. "babysits" abilities for you).

And most importantly they added the API to enable addon development to extend and improve on the whole player experience, like this addon aims to do.

This addon just adds the option for anyone to block other abilities in a similar fashion, if you choose to use it.
Actually I was quoting someone else talking about equal opportunity and I said I quote "Just like in real life, it's not about equal outcome". I then went on to explain that everyone has the opportunity to skill up in order to play without using GCDsaver which is in my opinion a cheat. I've never had my knockback on my KOTBS display that message, if it's immune it'll fire, then only time it refuses to do so is if it's on cooldown. And yes, some abilities are condition dependant. For example the root breaker won't allow you to fire it unless you are rooted. But that's an intended design decision for that ability. Just like for other abilities it's an intended design decision for them NOT to be condition based, such as if Blazing blade has 3 procs grey it out. You're stating that this is a design issue, but they are obviously intentional. Saying "Well, some of these abilities do and don't have conditionals and end up making me fire them unintentionally means it's a design issue" is wrong. The design of those abilities also includes the fact that some do, and don't have conditionals required for them to fire. And using an addon to circumvent that design to gain an advantage is in my opinion cheating.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Streblo

Post#133 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 am

Scottx125 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:15 am And using an add-on to circumvent that design to gain an advantage is in my opinion cheating.
It's not circumvention if the functionality is built into the game's scripting API.

Or to paraphrase you, why should add-on designers who put in 100% more effort than you not reap the rewards for their time? Sounds like you should learn to write some lua scripts instead of wanting the game to enforce 'equal outcomes'. :D

Sulorie

Post#134 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:29 am

The lack of understanding of what equal outcome means and why it is a bad concept, is mindboggling.

People bring different skills or capabilities to the table.
Equal opportunity doesn't mean you can be as good as the next one.
It means nobody else steps in your way to do a certain task. It doesn't mean you will succeed.
Dying is no option.

agemennon675

Post#135 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:39 pm

This add-on should not exist, it removes the chance of player mistake. I dont know what is being argued here and why this addon even allowed ?
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer

Scottx125

Post#136 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pm

Spoiler:
Sulorie wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:29 am The lack of understanding of what equal outcome means and why it is a bad concept, is mindboggling.

People bring different skills or capabilities to the table.
Equal opportunity doesn't mean you can be as good as the next one.
It means nobody else steps in your way to do a certain task. It doesn't mean you will succeed.
Exactly.
Spoiler:
Streblo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 am It's not circumvention if the functionality is built into the game's scripting API.

Or to paraphrase you, why should add-on designers who put in 100% more effort than you not reap the rewards for their time? Sounds like you should learn to write some lua scripts instead of wanting the game to enforce 'equal outcomes'. :D
Addon-designers have to adhere to the design philosophy and rules of the people who maintain the game. If there were no rules then I'd agree with your statement. However, Nerf Buttons, an addon which did much the same thing but in an all in one package. Was banned. And this addon does partly the same thing but in my opinion, is broken down into a smaller addon to circumvent the ban. And IMO, the ban should not apply to just one addon that automates gameplay relating to combat, but ALL addons that automated gameplay relating to combat.

Oh and btw, I do write Lua Scripts, but I do it for my guild in private to improve existing addons that are purely for improving visibility or readability. Nothing that would automate gameplay.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

malmar

Post#137 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm

so why is swiftassist allowed? assist has much larger impact on gameplay, automates action of several people and removes chance of different players to target different people by mistake

Talladego

Post#138 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:18 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pm Addon-designers have to adhere to the design philosophy and rules of the people who maintain the game. If there were no rules then I'd agree with your statement. However, Nerf Buttons, an addon which did much the same thing but in an all in one package. Was banned. And this addon does partly the same thing but in my opinion, is broken down into a smaller addon to circumvent the ban.
That's what I meant by it's a design issue.
While the RoR staff are in full control of the server and can make any changes they want to it, they certianly don't own the game client code and making changes to it and distributing it is very likely a legal grey area.

So in principle we should be running the game on a live version of the client which allowed for a lot of QoL addons that have been intentionally broken by the current client changes.

I don't deny that part reason I made this addon was because I strongly disagreed with the NerfedButtons block and wanted to show that while they can attempt to block NB, there are lots of other ways to accomplish similar results. So it was just a futile move promoted by a vocal minority (NB had over 13k downloads on Idrinth) who wanted the game to become more competitive and strictly "skill-based". Just so lesser skilled players would be easier to farm. The original design philosophy of the game was in no way focused on creating a competitive e-sport type game. It was all about chaotic mass battles in the fantasic Warhammer setting.
Scottx125 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pm And IMO, the ban should not apply to just one addon that automates gameplay relating to combat, but ALL addons that automated gameplay relating to combat.
Ok, I disagree.
These addons were created and used for a reason.
People likely struggled with the bloated ability system and rather than quit altogether they used whatever legal tools were available to enjoy the game.

Ads
Kpi

Post#139 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:08 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pmAnd IMO, the ban should not apply to just one addon that automates gameplay relating to combat, but ALL addons that automated gameplay relating to combat.
Sadly, GMs can't block these addons for everyone, so they blocked them for most, and now a few can use it because client allow it :(
Spoiler:
Kpihuss -- WP 88
Kpithrogrim -- IB 83
Kpigaragrim -- Slayer 81
Kpikossar -- SW 77
Kpirmedes -- RP 68+
Kpiboris -- KOTBS 65+

Sulorie

Post#140 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:32 pm

malmar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm so why is swiftassist allowed? assist has much larger impact on gameplay, automates action of several people and removes chance of different players to target different people by mistake
Because assist is part of the game with the "main assist" button. Swift assist only adds QoL.
Dying is no option.