Recent Topics

Ads

[ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.6

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Scottx125

Re: [ADDON] GCDsaver 1.0.6

Post#141 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:02 pm

malmar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm so why is swiftassist allowed? assist has much larger impact on gameplay, automates action of several people and removes chance of different players to target different people by mistake
I would argue that's not automating combat, that's a QoL addon for improving targeting of targets. It doesn't automate you actually playing your class, all it does is allow you to target the target of an ally. And because it's technically already in the base game. Again this isn't about what addons have an impact on combat, this is about addons that automate combat. You could argue all day that addons that improve performance, or improve visibility improve your combat effectiveness. But that's not the point of this discussion, the point is GCDsaver automates aspects of combat in order to prevent you wasting abilities. Which IMO is a slice of what nerf buttons did and as such shouldn't be allowed considering nerf buttons was banned.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#142 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:23 am

Nerfed Buttons wasn't banned. Switching abilities while in combat was penalized with a 3s GCD. Effectively it was made useless until someone figured out how to work around it. Then the side cases were patched over.

The fact the addon API can still be used to annoy players that hated NB was something I warned about well before that decision was made. You can't ban addons if the API is available, all you can do is try to limit the functions that allow them to work, in turn driving addon development out of the realm of public availability, and into the private guilds like your own where whatever it is you develop is only available to your close guild mates.

I'm sure whatever you're doing with your private addons is perfectly legitimate and provides no gameplay benefit whatsoever.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

eldriyth

Post#143 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:04 am

Scottx125 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:02 pm
malmar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 pm so why is swiftassist allowed? assist has much larger impact on gameplay, automates action of several people and removes chance of different players to target different people by mistake
I would argue that's not automating combat, that's a QoL addon for improving targeting of targets. It doesn't automate you actually playing your class, all it does is allow you to target the target of an ally. And because it's technically already in the base game. Again this isn't about what addons have an impact on combat, this is about addons that automate combat. You could argue all day that addons that improve performance, or improve visibility improve your combat effectiveness. But that's not the point of this discussion, the point is GCDsaver automates aspects of combat in order to prevent you wasting abilities. Which IMO is a slice of what nerf buttons did and as such shouldn't be allowed considering nerf buttons was banned.
Nothing is preventing you from using this very simple addon to enhance your own experience but your arrogance. Stop crying like a 2 year old on here.

bormo

Post#144 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:08 pm

Is it possible to return the NB to the server? Judging by the discussion, this is a popular addon. And let whoever wants to use it. Who does not want to - does not use. And whoever wants to forbid other people to make a choice (i mean mrXxx125) - let him nominate his candidacy for president of the world. It will be possible to hold a referendum on this issue - it is fashionable now.

Scottx125

Post#145 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:16 pm

Spoiler:
wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:23 am Nerfed Buttons wasn't banned. Switching abilities while in combat was penalized with a 3s GCD. Effectively it was made useless until someone figured out how to work around it. Then the side cases were patched over.

The fact the addon API can still be used to annoy players that hated NB was something I warned about well before that decision was made. You can't ban addons if the API is available, all you can do is try to limit the functions that allow them to work, in turn driving addon development out of the realm of public availability, and into the private guilds like your own where whatever it is you develop is only available to your close guild mates.

I'm sure whatever you're doing with your private addons is perfectly legitimate and provides no gameplay benefit whatsoever.
Just modifying existing one's to improve them, primarily for those in my guild who want improved visibility of ranges and targets etc. My bad on the banning though, I like many people believed it was banned. Though going to lengths to discourage it's use IMO is a soft ban.
Spoiler:
eldriyth wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:04 am Nothing is preventing you from using this very simple addon to enhance your own experience but your arrogance. Stop crying like a 2 year old on here.
Mmm.. So I should throw my opinions and beliefs aside so you can get an easy ride whilst the rest of us work hard to become good at the game without the benefit of gameplay automatic addons? I don't think so.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

eldriyth

Post#146 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:01 am

Scottx125 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:16 pm
Spoiler:
wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:23 am Nerfed Buttons wasn't banned. Switching abilities while in combat was penalized with a 3s GCD. Effectively it was made useless until someone figured out how to work around it. Then the side cases were patched over.

Just modifying existing one's to improve them, primarily for those in my guild who want improved visibility of ranges and targets etc. My bad on the banning though, I like many people believed it was banned. Though going to lengths to discourage it's use IMO is a soft ban.
Spoiler:
eldriyth wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:04 am Nothing is preventing you from using this very simple addon to enhance your own experience but your arrogance. Stop crying like a 2 year old on here.
Mmm.. So I should throw my opinions and beliefs aside so you can get an easy ride whilst the rest of us work hard to become good at the game without the benefit of gameplay automatic addons? I don't think so.
Many tools like this have been introduced to the community and many people use them with no problem. The only one making this "work hard to be good at the game" is you and yourself. You don't have to play the game pressing every key manually because you have some ridiculous notion in your brain thinking that's the right way to play or bust. Addons wouldn't exist if people didn't want to use them. Get over yourself and stop pushing your own thoughts and strict self-rule system on people that want no part of it. I bet you're one of the people who hate every artificial intelligence too, right?

Scottx125

Post#147 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Spoiler:
eldriyth wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:01 am Many tools like this have been introduced to the community and many people use them with no problem. The only one making this "work hard to be good at the game" is you and yourself. You don't have to play the game pressing every key manually because you have some ridiculous notion in your brain thinking that's the right way to play or bust. Addons wouldn't exist if people didn't want to use them. Get over yourself and stop pushing your own thoughts and strict self-rule system on people that want no part of it. I bet you're one of the people who hate every artificial intelligence too, right?
I never said you had to press every button did I? And the purpose of addons isn't to play the game for you. It's to improve the quality of the game. For example, Sequencer is an amazing addon that I support. All it does is allow you to put addons in a cast sequence. That's it. No detection of GCD, no automation of combat specific functionality. It's there to streamline casting so you don't need to roll your face down keys 1-9. And these are clearly not only my thoughts, check back through the pages, there are clearly a lot of people who don't like this addon and don't want it to exist. And it's not a self rule, it's community rule, that's why this discussion is happening in the first place, which again is why Nerf Buttons was made near impossible to use because people had concerns about it that many of the devs shared, including concerns about this addon AS WELL.. And no, artificial intelligence is amazing, however the concerns with AI are not related to this discussion. You need to calm yourself down, I'm here arguing against this addon existing and the reasons for it, not having a go at people because they disagree with me. So far all you've done is "Your notion is stupid, if you don't like it go away", why don't you try putting together a decent argument as to why this addon doesn't automate gameplay similar to nerf buttons, my argument is that it is and as such should be treated the same way and made as close to impossible to use as possible.

Oh, and the point is, we don't want to use this addon because we consider it cheating, or at the very least giving people who use it a large measurable advantage that effects gameplay. It's the same argument with actual cheats. Why do you need it? If you want to be good at the game, practice. Stop using addons to play the game for you. Also, using an addon I believe is cheating and have spent so long campaigning against would be hypocritical.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

Talladego

Post#148 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:41 pm For example, Sequencer is an amazing addon that I support.
I find it odd that you consider Sequencer an amazing addon but think GCDsaver more or less a cheat when in my opinion Sequencer adds a lot more automation to the game than GCDsaver.

Sequencer selects for you what the button you click will do making sure a usable ability will be triggered.

GCDsaver just blocks bad click choices but you still have to actually make that bad click choice before GCDsaver intercepts thereby saving that GCD but still wasting a "finger click".
GCDsaver does nothing more than what abilities with built-in conditional checks already do.

One could draw the conclusion that you like Sequencer because it helps good players play better but dislike GCDsaver because it helps bad players not play worse.

Ads
Scottx125

Post#149 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Talladego wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:16 pm
Scottx125 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:41 pm For example, Sequencer is an amazing addon that I support.
I find it odd that you consider Sequencer an amazing addon but think GCDsaver more or less a cheat when in my opinion Sequencer adds a lot more automation to the game than GCDsaver.

Sequencer selects for you what the button you click will do making sure a usable ability will be triggered.

GCDsaver just blocks bad click choices but you still have to actually make that bad click choice before GCDsaver intercepts thereby saving that GCD but still wasting a "finger click".
GCDsaver does nothing more than what abilities with built-in conditional checks already do.
No, it just skips cooldown timers. So if the ability is on cooldown it moves onto the next. But it still cycles that ability. In essence, It's having a hotbar on 1 button press. Difference is it doesn't check to see if a target has vulnerabilities or not. It just reads the ability and checks if it's on cooldown. The difference is important. One addon checks a target for you and makes a decision based on if that target meets certain conditions or not. That impacts gameplay. Checking to see if an ability is on cooldown or not isn't. You'd literally click it for 1 second and then move onto the rest of your rotation. Sequencer doesn't save button clicks, it just puts all your abilities in a rotation on one button so you don't have to do finger gymnastics. That's literally all it does.
Spoiler:
Now a member of Oath.

Talladego

Post#150 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm No, it just skips cooldown timers.
I know how the addon works.

In a game where many people value keyboard clicking skills above anything and the best keyboard virtuosos are held in the highest regard, an addon that removes the need to actually click the ability you intend to use surely automates more than an addon that just blocks abilities that you shouldn't use.

Imagine a self-playing piano with only one single key to play a whole song (Sequencer) vs. A normal piano with the all the incorrect keys removed (GCDsaver).
In the first case you just play the one key and the song plays by itself, in the second case you still have to figure out in which order to play the available keys for the song to be played correctly.

Which case requires more piano playing skills?