Recent Topics

Ads

New Player Here, Magus Leveling Builds/Advice

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Bullvinne

New Player Here, Magus Leveling Builds/Advice

Post#1 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:37 pm

Good Day Everyone!

Am a returning (basically new) player, I played for a month or so like 3 years ago.

I am really interested in the Magus, the look of the class, the defensive caster archetype, ranged dps... it all appeals to me

There is not alot in the way of leveling guides I can find for this class (and most others) and the guides I do find tend to be endgame guides. Does anyone have any advice on a good leveling build for mostly lake RvR and Scenarios? I plan to PvP my way to endgame so my Realm Rank is at or above 40 when I reach career rank of 40.

I hear Havoc Magus is long range sniping, Changing is mid-ranged AOE, and Demonology is utility for both of the other specs. Does that sound about right?

I am thinking the long range and burst of Havoc might be better for leveling through PvP, is there any truth to that?

Any builds/Specs yall can share and what abilities/tactics to get first would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Ads
DEADJACK

Re: New Player Here, Magus Leveling Builds/Advice

Post#2 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:43 pm

I can't answer directly to your post but i wish you good luck in leveling your character.

N.B : Magus is very hard to play, imao harder than engineer.

Bullvinne

Post#3 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:52 pm

DEADJACK wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:43 pm N.B : Magus is very hard to play, imao harder than engineer.
Well crud...

SepticDisaster

Post#4 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:46 pm

Magus is not difficult, once you get the hang of managing your daemons placement and your proximity to it. Yes you do have a lot of situational abilities but their usage can be learned as you level up. The single target burst rotation is easy, you are more durable than other rdps and have the advantage of increased range.

Aethilmar

Post#5 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:51 pm

Magus is fun for the reasons mentioned above.

Havoc is solo roam/SC spec. Changing is more mass PvP spec although you can sorta make it work roaming. Rift (can) make you welcome in a WB.

When you stop, remember to drop a daemon and start building your damage bonus. And for the love of all that's unholy don't spam your Infestations (mines) and hand out free immunities.

Most importantly, have fun.

Bullvinne

Post#6 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:20 am

Any recommendations on builds to go for and key abilities/tactics to get first?

SepticDisaster

Post#7 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:28 am

RoR.builders - Magus

This is a basic Havoc build for a fresh 40 if thats the route you want to go. You can expound on that as you gain RR levels, the disarm is very useful as is the AP tactic.

Caduceus

Post#8 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:00 am

PvP is the way to level, and RvR and scenarios are roughly speaking the flavors you can choose from.

Havoc is a long-range single target spec. Single target is most useful in small-scale fights, especially scenarios. Your pink horror's elemental resistance debuff synergizes particularly well.

If you prefer large-scale PvP, Magus actually has a fantastic option for that too. The Changing tree gives you very respectable AoE damage at range and is also well-suited for new players.

I would avoid the close-range Daemonology tree until you are more experienced and regularly run in organized warbands.

The general theme of your combat style is to stack your damage-over-time and then start bursting with direct damage.

Get used to positioning yourself and your daemon - this is the primary challenge of Magus. Remember that while the extra damage your daemon gives, you can still be effective without it.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Templa

Post#9 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am

I made a lil "picture guide" recently and i guess i could link this here as well.
It's not for leveling but i guess it can't hurt as orientation :)
Image Image

Cookiemanprime

Post#10 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi guys, I am a new player. Currently playing iron breaker.
I am lvl 28 but I still die so easily from any dps class, while in destro their tanks are unkilabel.
So is ironbreaker bad, or does it need better gear.
Also my defensive buffs are so bad I don't think they have any affect on me at all.