Recent Topics

Ads

Replica jewels.... Clarification please.

Let's talk about... everything else
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Replica jewels.... Clarification please.

Post#81 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Secrets wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:56 pm
Gargis wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:38 pm Wargrimnir, this post is against my self interest because I have the ring on a few toons.

I disagree that removing the access to it in the future would not be significant. On my RP, having a 5/4 set up with the ring allows me with the 4 pce Tri bonus to forego Resto Burst tactic and replace it with Ancestors Inheritance w/o getting ap starved.

The above with Regen Shielding proc gets me to 70.4% physical damage mitigation. Correct me if I'm wrong but no other cloth healer can do that, not even Zealot.

Also, on my IB, I can go 6/3 and do a tri spec on 2H that provides Oathbound, +25% parry w/o being stat starved that not even the 5/3 Sov/WL set up can do.

So, if there is consideration of not allowing future access to the ring in any form, then there might be some imbalances.

I prefer a level playing field for all, and if you decide to remove in from ppl in the future, I would not get upset if you removed it entirely from the game, even at my loss.
They aren't going to remove it from people; if anything it would be nerfed to uselessness like the Imperator 2pc set was. Removing the set bonuses and jewel slot would be a way to remove it.

I don't think the itemization work should be wasted, and the entire set should be a step up from Oppressor gear.
I'm more interested in getting ranked to work than removing anything, but it's rather telling what people are more concerned about.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Elemint

Post#82 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:59 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm I'm more interested in getting ranked to work than removing anything, but it's rather telling what people are more concerned about.
The game mode can't stand on it's legs. There's neither the population nor the playerbase desire to support it. If it died when the currency was unified, nothing will make it live on it's own.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#83 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Elemint wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:59 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm I'm more interested in getting ranked to work than removing anything, but it's rather telling what people are more concerned about.
The game mode can't stand on it's legs. There's neither the population nor the playerbase desire to support it. If it died when the currency was unified, nothing will make it live on it's own.
Oh to be so young and full of joy, ambition, and hope.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Elemint

Post#84 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 pm

Experience from playing the thing taught me better

Aethilmar

Post#85 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:48 pm

The ranked community toxicity aside, the mode itself fundamentally does not work with all the changes to make classes "warband viable" since classes are now too durable and resources are too plentiful.

The "competitve" matches were 15 minutes of hard swaps on the dps hoping, just hoping, that you could get the healers behind a little bit and start a cascade of kills on dps -> dps -> healer at which point it was over. It was just *yawn*.

Strakar

Post#86 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:02 am

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm
I'm more interested in getting ranked to work than removing anything, but it's rather telling what people are more concerned about.
If there is one thing I would like the devs and community managers to take away, it's that you can't expect game mechanics to be fixed by human behavior. People will go where the rewards are, so no one should be butt hurt when no one plays a game mode unless there are proper, attainable rewards. And players will go down the path of least resistance to progress. Yes, there's a small minority who doesn't but character progression is the key driver in MMOs.

As such, need to keep tweaking things to get the desired results. Nobody playing the underdog? Need better AAO incentive. Cant break the MDPS meta? Maybe instill an aoe cap of 12 on M DPS and let RDPS hit more people. Not enough wb leaders left in the game? Create some cosmetic rewards for those who consistently lead so new people will step up. These are simplistic examples but players aren't going to change a certain behavior because you want them to.

Caduceus

Post#87 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:09 am

wargrimnir wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Maybe this isn't the place to drop suggestions, but I've often thought a practice area would be a good idea to bridge the gap between 'normal' RoR and Ranked. Unranked 6v6 SCs, like those that have been in the SC rotation in the past, perhaps solo/duo Q only, or perhaps even 6-man only.

Make the Ranked rewards stand on themselves and change the weekly ranked tasks to unranked tasks with rewards similar to the RvR weekly. People will have a choice whether to get their soulstones and event slot items through RvR or through competitive 6v6 SCs.

If you allow people to get their feet wet without the added pressure and in a less competitive environment, they might warm up to the idea and be more likely to give Ranked a shot in the future.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#88 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:22 am

so much cope from ranked pro wannabes. i'm so glad secrets and wargrimmnr put them in their place :D
The ranked community toxicity aside, the mode itself fundamentally does not work with all the changes to make classes "warband viable" since classes are now too durable and resources are too plentiful.

The "competitve" matches were 15 minutes of hard swaps on the dps hoping, just hoping, that you could get the healers behind a little bit and start a cascade of kills on dps -> dps -> healer at which point it was over. It was just *yawn*.
agree with this big time, too, even tho i never got chance to play ranked. i mean how else can 6v6 fight between two equal premades look? while on the other hand in rvr, you have to constantly have eyes on your back and move super fast even before some fight is over. but i guess it's easier to cry about getting zerged :(

Ads
Fenris78

Post#89 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm

We just needed ranked to not give MMR maluses on loss. Nothing more discouraging for people, being casual or hardcore, than being permastuck with zero MMR after dozens of matches.

Even a garanteed progression of 5 or 10 MMR on a loss would have kept people playing this game mode.
It would have been like the current grind to 10k tokens (or any other activity for that matter), without the fear to lose = two step back from your goal.

It could have been tested months ago to see the results, but sadly the hardcore-gatekeeping path was chosen, even after seeing the MMR model wont work for a vast majority of people (most of them played couple of matches before seeing they were permastuck to negative MMR, and quit).

I'm glad we wont need to play 100+ ranked matches with a 50% winrate to reach the 1k MMR anymore, but I'm sad the ring is now available without having to play ranked at all.

A fair balance should have been found earlier, it was not because lack of suggestions in that matter... ;)

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#90 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:27 pm

i really dont care about the ranked, but if you wanted to make it as good as possible, i'd suggest making daily/weekly/monthly/annual tournaments, possibly automated like in guild wars 1&2. so by playing daily/weekly tournaments successfully you get qualification points for monthly. monthly tournaments then award quali points for annual(maybe biannual?) tournaments. give great cosmetic and prestige rewards to winners, nothing BIS. also stream monthly/annual tournies on twitch, as that would make more people know about ranked 6v6 among new players and also free PR for game in general.
P.S. swiss-type of tournament seems to work very well in gw2.

another great thing would be, if you made it more like gw1&2 pvp where all players had same level of gear. you could still choose different gear for different stats/builds, use diffrent talismans etc. but everyone would have EQUAL gear.
if you could make ranked queueable only from that lotd deadzone, which would allow for giving all players equal strength of equipment.
let's say you are already BIS character, you're fine, you can queue with your gear. but let's say you are fresh rr40 and wanna play ranked? though luck go grind that rp/crests, or bore yourself to death in dungeons.
well what if you could instead give "replica" bis gear (sov2x, WL, triumph/victorious sets, also bis weapons) which wouldnt have any rr requirement, but you could only wear it in lotd deadzone and in ranked 6v6? i'm not sure if this is technically possible with WAR engine, but if it's possible, it would be worth discussing.